• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,229 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I had a goal when I started collecting Planets to get a book from all the pedigrees. So far I have:

Church

Toledo

Lost Valley

Rockford

and while not a pedigree, a book from the Nic Cage collection.

Please post those and if any of you other boardies have any Planet Pedigrees lets see them(worship)

19 hours ago, kelholt said:

Notice the number on the sticker. That was book #1, the first book in the Marathon Planet collection. (thumbsu

I am honored to become the next guardian of this one!

18 hours ago, Tim Weaver said:

The reds are spectacular on that book!

That was what drew me in, like a moth to a flame!

9 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I am honored to become the next guardian of this one!

That was what drew me in, like a moth to a flame!

Moth to a flame? You should change your moniker to 'sufi mystic'!

“One night the moths gathered together, tormented by the desire to unite themselves with the candle. All of them said: ‘We must find one who can give us some news of that for which we seek so earnestly.’

“One of the moths went to a candle afar off and saw within the light of a candle. He came back and told the others what he had seen, and began to describe the candle as intelligently as he was able to do. But the wise moth, who was chief of their assembly, observed: ‘He has no real information to give us of the candle.’

“Another moth visited the candle. He passed close to the light and drew near to it. With his wings, he touched the flames of that which he desired; the heat of the candle drove him back and he was vanquished. He also returned, and revealed something of the mystery, in explaining a little of what union with the candle meant, but the wise moth said to him: ‘Thine explanation is of no more real worth than that of thy comrade.’

“A third moth rose up, intoxicated with love, to hurl himself violently into the flame of the candle. He threw himself forward and stretched out his antennae toward the flame. As he entered completely into its embrace, his members became red like the flame itself. When the wise moth saw from afar that the candle had identified the moth with itself, and had given to it its own light, he said: ‘This moth has accomplished his desire; but he alone comprehends that to which he has attained. None others knows it, and that is all.’”

I purchased my first issue of Planet Comics almost two and half years ago now.  I was playing around on CGCdata.com earlier and I decided to take a look at how many copies of each issue have been graded since that time.  Here are all the Planets that have been graded since I purchased my first (universal labels only).

Some things I found interesting:

A.  I remember thinking issues 65 and 66 might be pretty hard to find back when I started.  But boy have they come out in force!  Issue 65 had more copies graded in the last 2.5 years (39) than any other issue (there were only 22 copies on the census prior to that, which is a 177% increase!). Issue 66 has had 23 graded in the last 2.5 years, compared to just 22 on the census before that.

B.  Only 1 copy graded of issues 3 and 7.  Only 2 copies graded of issues 2 and 8.  Some of those with reputations for being tough books continue to show it, even with the market for Planets so hot.

C.  Issues 6, 14, and 24, which I consider to be pretty dang tough books, each had 7 new copies graded in the last 2.5 years.  Considering they each had between 13 and 16 copies graded before that, I'd say that's pretty shocking. (I don't want to leave out issue 18, which had 18 copies graded when I started and now has 9 more (total 27)!)

I know the census is a very imperfect gauge, but I do think it tells us something about both supply and demand.  I found it quite interesting to see what's happened since I got bitten by the Planet bug :insane:.

(Sorry, I don't know how to search so that Jumbo Comics 11 doesn't show up at the top of the list :nyah:)

census_june18_nov20_a.PNG

census_june18_nov20_b.PNG

census_june18_nov20_c.PNG

census_june18_nov20_d.PNG

14 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Just added this one as well. In contention for my favorite Doolin cover of the run. 

B597765F-364C-49B5-82EA-A95B63DD6427.jpeg

when I was looking I could not find a copy of this book. It was the last book I needed to finish my complete run. Months after I got it I have seen several copies for sale.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:43 PM, Spyder! said:

I purchased my first issue of Planet Comics almost two and half years ago now.  I was playing around on CGCdata.com earlier and I decided to take a look at how many copies of each issue have been graded since that time.  Here are all the Planets that have been graded since I purchased my first (universal labels only).

Some things I found interesting:

A.  I remember thinking issues 65 and 66 might be pretty hard to find back when I started.  But boy have they come out in force!  Issue 65 had more copies graded in the last 2.5 years (39) than any other issue (there were only 22 copies on the census prior to that, which is a 177% increase!). Issue 66 has had 23 graded in the last 2.5 years, compared to just 22 on the census before that.

B.  Only 1 copy graded of issues 3 and 7.  Only 2 copies graded of issues 2 and 8.  Some of those with reputations for being tough books continue to show it, even with the market for Planets so hot.

C.  Issues 6, 14, and 24, which I consider to be pretty dang tough books, each had 7 new copies graded in the last 2.5 years.  Considering they each had between 13 and 16 copies graded before that, I'd say that's pretty shocking. (I don't want to leave out issue 18, which had 18 copies graded when I started and now has 9 more (total 27)!)

I know the census is a very imperfect gauge, but I do think it tells us something about both supply and demand.  I found it quite interesting to see what's happened since I got bitten by the Planet bug :insane:.

(Sorry, I don't know how to search so that Jumbo Comics 11 doesn't show up at the top of the list :nyah:)

census_june18_nov20_a.PNG

census_june18_nov20_b.PNG

census_june18_nov20_c.PNG

census_june18_nov20_d.PNG

Interesting.