• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, kelholt said:

Planet 13 is definitely one of my favorites. On my set registry, this is part of what I wrote about Planet 13 :

Every comic has stories inside, and to collectors every special comic has a story about its acquisition. This book is a special one. Ever since I first saw #13 in the Gerber Journal, I knew that this was one cool book. What I did not know is that this issue is one of the top 5 hardest Planet Comics to find (IMHO). I searched dealer inventories, eBay, major auctions, etc. for #13 for years without even a sniff. I always looked wherever I could. One afternoon I was finishing up a deal on a few book over the phone when I asked the question that I had asked at least 100 times before…”You wouldn’t happen to have a Planet 13 lying around would you?” I just about fell over when the response was, “Well, actually I do and it’s a really nice one too.” After a scan was sent to me I made a phone call back and the book was purchased and on its way to me that afternoon. I read this one and submitted it to CGC. One bonus aspect about this book is its super bright and colorful back cover. Many comics have back covers that are basically blah, but not this one. 

657B5956-ABB1-4669-801E-0ADB136CC4F2.jpeg.633239867fb5efbeb486fc1bc6a63871.jpeg

19870E8F-5300-4C50-AB21-EEA9225EB8AB.jpeg.494bbf6adfe226a8dc3d61f938b38b8b.jpeg

So, so jealous!

54 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Here is my #14.

I had a very hard time finding a copy of 14 when I was actively trying to. Literally zero copies came up for sale over several years and I was searching numerous sites morning, lunch, early evening and before I went to bed every single day.

Finally found this copy for sale on Ebay and I bought it.

It presents nice for the grade with very nice colors unfortunately it has some worm chew on the interior and the back cover isn't as nice as the front. Still I had finally acquired a copy and thought of it as a placeholder and that I could upgrade it if I was patient. 

The thing is, it isn't the easiest task to upgrade a hard to find book. If you do see a copy do you pull the trigger? Often I find the cost of the upgrade versus level of upgrade difficult to validate. For now I remain happy to have this copy.

PlanetComic14.jpg

I used to own that copy and as I recall it has some nice qualities!

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Here is my #14.

I had a very hard time finding a copy of 14 when I was actively trying to. Literally zero copies came up for sale over several years and I was searching numerous sites morning, lunch, early evening and before I went to bed every single day.

Finally found this copy for sale on Ebay and I bought it.

It presents nice for the grade with very nice colors unfortunately it has some worm chew on the interior and the back cover isn't as nice as the front. Still I had finally acquired a copy and thought of it as a placeholder and that I could upgrade it if I was patient. 

The thing is, it isn't the easiest task to upgrade a hard to find book. If you do see a copy do you pull the trigger? Often I find the cost of the upgrade versus level of upgrade difficult to validate. For now I remain happy to have this copy.

PlanetComic14.jpg

That front cover presents beautifully.  Very nice book.

21 hours ago, kelholt said:

Planet 13 is definitely one of my favorites. On my set registry, this is part of what I wrote about Planet 13 :

Every comic has stories inside, and to collectors every special comic has a story about its acquisition. This book is a special one. Ever since I first saw #13 in the Gerber Journal, I knew that this was one cool book. What I did not know is that this issue is one of the top 5 hardest Planet Comics to find (IMHO). I searched dealer inventories, eBay, major auctions, etc. for #13 for years without even a sniff. I always looked wherever I could. One afternoon I was finishing up a deal on a few book over the phone when I asked the question that I had asked at least 100 times before…”You wouldn’t happen to have a Planet 13 lying around would you?” I just about fell over when the response was, “Well, actually I do and it’s a really nice one too.” After a scan was sent to me I made a phone call back and the book was purchased and on its way to me that afternoon. I read this one and submitted it to CGC. One bonus aspect about this book is its super bright and colorful back cover. Many comics have back covers that are basically blah, but not this one. 

657B5956-ABB1-4669-801E-0ADB136CC4F2.jpeg.633239867fb5efbeb486fc1bc6a63871.jpeg

19870E8F-5300-4C50-AB21-EEA9225EB8AB.jpeg.494bbf6adfe226a8dc3d61f938b38b8b.jpeg

Your 13 is one of the nicest books in the entire thread.  Just spectacular!

3 minutes ago, goldenacase said:

Another purchase from Jason I thought at the time I was paying too much but they just ended up being lovely thoughts later down the road

lf-18.jpeg

One of the copies I considered buying, Jason even was kind enough to send me a private message letting me know that he would be selling.

I wish I had the funds available at the time but it was not to be. Very happy it is in the possession of a fellow Planet boardie!

Oh man! I have just been loving this daily progression over the last couple of weeks. Some great books and cool stories being shared here!

@kelholt that Planet 13 is gorgeous!

@Flex Mentallo that 12 has insane colors.

@Artboy99 I too would check multiple sites daily looking for issue 14!