• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

The colors on this beauty scan know no equal

Fixed that for you [tongue in cheek! :foryou:] I'm not completely certain - scans vary! [For example, cheetah's scans are invariably undersaturated to my eye.] I suspect that in hand mine might be about the same colors as the Church, but not as bright of course. NB @ricksneatstuff had one in 5.5 posted earlier in the thread that may have had more red, going by that one's scan.  I once just missed out on a low grade copy on Ebay before getting this one, and going from what I recall of the scan from memory, it had the most intense colors I'd ever seen, with reds and yellows that really popped. It literally sold minutes before I searched for it, and had only just been listed. [Yep, one of those stories!] Stupidly, I long since misplaced the copy of that scan. If its colors were 'true', then there is another level, but without having books in hand, one cant really be certain how they stack up against each other. I just messed with my scan in photoshop to take the edge off the colors so the yellows don't pop as much.

Planet Comics #17 CGC 6.5a.jpg

17's have very different colors. I have seen a copy where the girl's boots are green.

I would love to do a Planet Board members get together. Everyone bring their books and we could compare.

We would have to do it someplace special, perhaps Mars? 

Edited by Artboy99

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

17's have very different colors. I have seen a copy where the girl's boots are green.

I would love to do a Planet Board members get together. Everyone bring their books and we could compare.

We would have to do it someplace special, perhaps Mars? 

It would have to be Mars - the weather on Venus is terrible this time of year!

6 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Fixed that for you [tongue in cheek! :foryou:] I'm not completely certain - scans vary! [For example, cheetah's scans are invariably undersaturated to my eye.] I suspect that in hand mine might be about the same colors as the Church, but not as bright of course. NB @ricksneatstuff had one in 5.5 posted earlier in the thread that may have had more red, going by that one's scan.  I once just missed out on a low grade copy on Ebay before getting this one, and going from what I recall of the scan from memory, it had the most intense colors I'd ever seen, with reds and yellows that really popped. It literally sold minutes before I searched for it, and had only just been listed. [Yep, one of those stories!] Stupidly, I long since misplaced the copy of that scan. If its colors were 'true', then there is another level, but without having books in hand, one cant really be certain how they stack up against each other. I just messed with my scan in photoshop to take the edge off the colors so the yellows don't pop as much.

Planet Comics #17 CGC 6.5a.jpg

So true.  Different scanner, different settings, pictures from different cameras, etc. all impact the colors.  It's really not possible to compare accurately on the boards.  Still, every scan you post shows that your copy has very strong colors!