• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yes, this is not unusual. A 6.0 sold a year ago on Heritage for $1140. This should be $1300-1500 now I think.

Well Rick, it looks like you was pretty much bang on with your prediction as the final price on the Planet 70 was just a bit past the upper end of your range with the final buzzer going off at $1,539.  (thumbsu

What kind of surprised me though was the other what I thought was the lower demand Planet 44 (albeit higher grade copy at CGC 8.0 with WP) coming in at a even higher $1,606 final amount:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1457891&id=1457891&itemType=0

00003352380000113766065006.jpg

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well Rick, it looks like you was pretty much bang on with your prediction as the final price on the Planet 70 was just a bit past the upper end of your range with the final buzzer going off at $1,539.  (thumbsu

What kind of surprised me though was the other what I thought was the lower demand Planet 44 (albeit higher grade copy at CGC 8.0 with WP) coming in at a even higher $1,606 final amount:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1457891&id=1457891&itemType=0

Planet Comics have been seeing some really strong auction results lately. I hope this one went to @SuperGrover

2 hours ago, mwotka said:

My Planet 18.  Seems that most copies are much bluer but this one is more purple.  I wonder if that is from the printing process or could it be the way the blue ages over time or reacts with light?  I actually like both colors so maybe I just need to get a second copy...

Planet 18.jpg

I have always loved the purple on this copy Mike :headbang:.  
I can also say, the color is not just due to a weird scanner setting either. This used to be my copy. It really does have that purple background. 

Edited by Spyder!

7 hours ago, Tim Weaver said:

OK, I confess to having the Toledo Planet 18.  Unfortunately, the Toledo designation is not indicated on the CGC label.

It was rehoused  a year or two before I flipped it, and the Toledo designation disappeared when CGC switched the labels/holders. Toledo is no longer considered a pedigree by CGC - I believe because too many surviving copies are lowere grade. Go figure - a Toledo still has pedigree status IMHO! And that #18's a cracker!

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Always been one of my favorite covers - I'll hold off posting mine until we get there collectively. I've always thought it was a tad undervalued - and this copy is noteworthy for having white pages as well as fairly strong colors.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

When he drew the recreation, he could fix the colors.

Planet18art.jpg

Wow! That is truly awesome. I was just having a bit of fun pointing out a silly little flaw, I had no idea it would lead to such a cool piece of artwork!  He really did change the flames when he did the recreation later on.  To me, that implies he must have noticed that it wasn’t right when it was published and he corrected it here. SO COOL! 😎 

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is truly stunning!

Don't think I've ever seen such a vibrant copy of this issue. The printers must have renewed the colour wells when this one was run off.

Remarkable. 

52 minutes ago, G G ® said:

This is truly stunning!

Don't think I've ever seen such a vibrant copy of this issue. The printers must have renewed the colour wells when this one was run off.

Remarkable. 

assuming the scan isnt tweaked...

1 minute ago, SuperGrover said:

mine... it's funny how many planets are "One" of my favorites. :insane:

Maybe I should have called this thread;

Every Planet is deserving of it's own thread...  :banana:

hm

52 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
1 hour ago, G G ® said:

This is truly stunning!

Remarkable. 

assuming the scan isnt tweaked...

Well, since this is CL and not Heritage, I would very much highly doubt it.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since this is CL and not Heritage, I would very much highly doubt it.  (thumbsu

Heritage for sure tweaks and Metropolis/Comicconnect tweaks even more... I would be surprised if Comiclink didnt (just to keep up with the competition)

Edited by Artboy99

30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Heritage for sure tweaks and Metropolis/Comicconnect tweaks even more... I would be surprised if Comiclink didnt (just to keep up with the competition)

Things have changed, I'm sure, but Heritage tweaks used to be fairly severe at times. I've also see boardie tweaks that have made me cringe.