• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kelholt said:

I sold Cheetah (Jeff) his copy. I decided sometime after I really wanted another 19. When Jeff sold his run I did not bid on it at auction. It came up again about 2 years later. Another bidder and I kept going back and forth in I think $200 increments for over $2000 until I gave in. I only had X to spend and the next bid would have gone over X. I lost the book. Since that auction, I don’t think I came across another 19 for sale until the Mile High came available years later.  I was fortunate enough to have more resources at this time to go for this book. I was very determined to win it, honestly one of the only books I have ever been “all in” on. One of my favorite books for all the reasons above and quite a few more not listed (thumbsu

9A72300C-BB7D-419E-BA9F-E367FF369F6F.jpeg.56c1f5b634e56afb8e0a7045b12c7633.jpeg

what a gorgeous book.

Man to have been Chuck when he dug the Planet pile in Edgar's basement...

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

what a gorgeous book.

I bet he felt as good as a hippy on crack.

Oh wait.......hm

45 minutes ago, kelholt said:

I sold Cheetah (Jeff) his copy. I decided sometime after I really wanted another 19. When Jeff sold his run I did not bid on it at auction. It came up again about 2 years later. Another bidder and I kept going back and forth in I think $200 increments for over $2000 until I gave in. I only had X to spend and the next bid would have gone over X. I lost the book. Since that auction, I don’t think I came across another 19 for sale until the Mile High came available years later.  I was fortunate enough to have more resources at this time to go for this book. I was very determined to win it, honestly one of the only books I have ever been “all in” on. One of my favorite books for all the reasons above and quite a few more not listed (thumbsu

Absolutely incredible. (worship)

1 hour ago, kelholt said:

This has to be one of the best of the Church books.  Just fantastic.

49 minutes ago, mwotka said:

That 19 is sick.  Congrats.  I was lucky to hold the Church 18 at Wizard Chicago in 2019.  Later sold at auction for much less than the first time.  But still beautiful.  Not sure who ended up with it.  

Planet 18 MH.JPG

That wonderful copy is with @MattnNY

6 hours ago, kelholt said:

Stunning!

16 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

My #19 - bought raw off Ebay many years ago! I was quite disappointed by CGC's grade when I submitted it.

Planet Comics #19 CGC 7.5.jpg

Wow, what a great book. It certainly presents better than most 7.5’s that I have seen.  With a 7.0 copy of 19 recently selling at auction for about $6,000, you should feel pretty good about owning this one!

6 hours ago, G G ® said:
6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

what a gorgeous book.

I bet he felt as good as a hippy on crack.

Oh wait.......hm

Well, that plus the fact he was far too busy trying to figure out how he was going to come up with the 10 cents which he was going to have to pay for each one of those Church books.  hm  :bigsmile:

He ended up getting the money from Burrell Rowe and I believe that the entire Planet run was a small part of the Church collection that he got in return for providing Chuckles with the $2K to purchase the entire estimated 20,000 book collection.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine