• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, what a great book. It certainly presents better than most 7.5’s that I have seen.  With a 7.0 copy of 19 recently selling at auction for about $6,000, you should feel pretty good about owning this one!

Thanks - it would be nice to think this is a 6k book, but I strongly suspect that 7.0 will prove to be an outlier... we'll see...

17 hours ago, cheetah said:

Things have changed, I'm sure, but Heritage tweaks used to be fairly severe at times. I've also see boardie tweaks that have made me cringe.

Lol, I spent a lot of time tweaking my scans so they represented the book as accurately as possible.  I switched scanners at one point and was really dissatisfied with the yellows and ended up getting a different scanner.

crazy but true

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Lol, I spent a lot of time tweaking my scans so they represented the book as accurately as possible.  I switched scanners at one point and was really dissatisfied with the yellows and ended up getting a different scanner.

crazy but true

I've tried 4 different scanners and I've not been able to make one, even with post-scan tweaking, give me satisfaction.  There's always some deficiency in their ability to capture colors, either under or over-saturating one or more of them.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 2/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, since this is CL and not Heritage, I would very much highly doubt it.  (thumbsu

Heritage for sure tweaks and Metropolis/Comicconnect tweaks even more... I would be surprised if Comiclink didnt (just to keep up with the competition)

Whenever I think of tweaking, I always view it to be an obviously overstated positive enhancement of a book like what we clearly from Heritage.  (tsk)

According to seemingly ongoing complaints from some consignors and also from a couple of the books which I have won over the years, I would not call CC's rather seeming poor quality of their scans to be "tweaking".  Especially when the books often tend to have brighter colors in hand and I just can't figure out what the heck is happening with the bottom edge of the books on some of their scans.  From the very small sample which I have received, the books tend to be better than how some of their scans present. (thumbsu

What CC really needs is either a better scanner or operator and most of all, if they had any type of writer that's even a tiny fraction as creative as the person who CL has, they would be doing a lot better from my point of view.   Heck, it shouldn't be that hard to beat a <8 word one line description listing for a book (if you even get that) and is clearly the exact opposite of what I would call embellishment or hyping when it comes to trying to sell a book for a consignor.   It seems like they just expect the book to sell itself from just the CGC grading and the PQ designation alone.  :p  :facepalm:

Come to think of it now, they don't want your book to only sell itself, with their new website design, they also want your book to help sell all of the other competing copies of the exact same book which they have sitting unsold in their inventory.  Not sure sure how consignors feel about the lack of a sales pitch in almost all of their auction listings, and yet they'll provide direct links to all other competing copies right at the bottom of the auction listing.  Definitely not an auction sales approach that I have seen any other auction website take. :screwy:  :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, kelholt said:

I sold Cheetah (Jeff) his copy. I decided sometime after I really wanted another 19. When Jeff sold his run I did not bid on it at auction. It came up again about 2 years later. Another bidder and I kept going back and forth in I think $200 increments for over $2000 until I gave in. I only had X to spend and the next bid would have gone over X. I lost the book. Since that auction, I don’t think I came across another 19 for sale until the Mile High came available years later.  I was fortunate enough to have more resources at this time to go for this book. I was very determined to win it, honestly one of the only books I have ever been “all in” on. One of my favorite books for all the reasons above and quite a few more not listed (thumbsu

9A72300C-BB7D-419E-BA9F-E367FF369F6F.jpeg.56c1f5b634e56afb8e0a7045b12c7633.jpeg

:applause:

On 2/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, G G ® said:

This is truly stunning!

Don't think I've ever seen such a vibrant copy of this issue. The printers must have renewed the colour wells when this one was run off.

Remarkable. 

Yes, I guess when it comes to the Planets and Fiction House books in general, it's all really about the strength and boldness of their cover colors becuase they must have gone to some cheapo printing out since you often tend to get a rather wide range in their color variations.  :p

I didn't start collecting Planet Comics until much later than Jumbo, Jungle and Wings.  I didn't finish my run until a little before I stopped collecting.  Based on all the beautiful books I am seeing in this thread, I had only begun to scratch the surface of great books that were out there.  Definitely makes for one of those moments when I wonder how things would have been different if I stayed the same course as before.

My humble addition to #20.  Just average, a little dingy, oranges and yellows are okay but not like the inker likely intended.

Planet20.jpg