• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2021 at 8:59 AM, mwotka said:

I know we are off the rivets, but I have always felt like 23 24 25 tie in with them pretty nicely with the Zolne covers, while 26 is more the start of a new era with Doolin cover art starting.  That 9.2 23 is beautiful!

Planet 23.jpg

Superior colors, Mike! Never seen the purples outlining the logo so brilliantly.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, kelholt said:

I used to own the 9.2 and sold to Cheetah and now Flex has it. I agree with Flex, neither scan do the book justice. It is a beautiful book. 

Here is my 23

EBBED0A8-039D-4A26-B253-D528C2BFE02D.jpeg.949678a07caef4058fbcd8e732d20146.jpeg

Hooboy! That is epic. Simply epic! (worship)

5 hours ago, Tim Weaver said:

Well, here is my first attempt to post a scan of one of my Planets.  It's a little small, and washes out the colors a bit, but at least it's a start.  

image.png.c87c3e275a72ed7158f8ced2bea85127.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Small photos. BIG BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, mwotka said:

Nice ones Zolne!  I remember I bought this issue the day I first met you in person at Richard's table in Chicago at C2E2.  But I'm probably due for an upgrade on this one.  Still a very solid cover.

planet 25.jpg

One day [soon] we shall meet again at the Bedrock City booth!

6 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think #25 might be the most commonly miscut Planet(?) If the ones I've seen are typical, miscut copies seem to be the rule rather than the exception for that particular issue. I've lost the scan of the last copy I had unfortunately, but as I recall it was severely miscut, but it had strong reds. So I think a square cut, well centred #25 with strong colours might be a bit of a unicorn. (I'm ready to be proven wrong by you guys though, so post 'em if you got 'em!)

I’m not sure if it’s a miscut or a miswrap , but Planet 42 is notoriously “off kilter”. On most copies on left side it shows ‘lave of the hydra’ and most of her fingers are in the spine area and wrap to the back cover. If your copy says ‘slave of the hydra’ in plain view from front then you have a unicorn. Some even have a unprinted area to top right. Both items I mentioned are in this scan. Even the 9.4 on census is printed this way.  Full disclosure on pic: Not my book and graded 8.0

7C45068C-0FBB-4FC0-B319-7D6B8ABB503C.jpeg.f824f896acd15f84ed389331e4ca4bad.jpeg

1 hour ago, kelholt said:

I’m not sure if it’s a miscut or a miswrap , but Planet 42 is notoriously “off kilter”. On most copies on left side it shows ‘lave of the hydra’ and most of her fingers are in the spine area and wrap to the back cover. If your copy says ‘slave of the hydra’ in plain view from front then you have a unicorn. Some even have a unprinted area to top right. Both items I mentioned are in this scan. Even the 9.4 on census is printed this way.  Full disclosure on pic: Not my book and graded 8.0

I agree.  42 is almost always mis-wrapped. 

9 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think #25 might be the most commonly miscut Planet(?) If the ones I've seen are typical, miscut copies seem to be the rule rather than the exception for that particular issue. I've lost the scan of the last copy I had unfortunately, but as I recall it was severely miscut, but it had strong reds. So I think a square cut, well centred #25 with strong colours might be a bit of a unicorn. (I'm ready to be proven wrong by you guys though, so post 'em if you got 'em!)

2 hours ago, kelholt said:

The vast majority of both 25’s and 42’s appear to be miscut.  I briefly owned your old 25 Kelly, and then I sold it to another great boardie @SamPool.  Although restored, I feel this copy captures the “unicorn” status mentioned by Flex of being both centered and having deep reds.  

2E717410-11A1-45D7-A1DC-C728DBC2A54E.jpeg