• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Tim Weaver said:

I keep this book as a cautionary tale to myself.  A couple of years ago when I first started buying Planets, I purchased four raw books from one of the auction houses.  Of these four books, two came back from CGC with grades that were in the ballpark of the advertised grades, but the other 2 were a different story.  One of these 2 books (Planet 9, which was the most expensive of the 4 books) came back with extensive restoration, the other (this book) came back as a 3.5 Brittle (book was advertised as a 7.5).  I sent back the Planet 9 and received a full refund, but I have kept this book.  To be fair, I have no doubt the auction house would have accepted a return on this one.

I've been looking for a high grade copy of this book ever since, but as Rick indicated they don't seem to come along often.

IMG_2739.thumb.jpg.6558f93d3c77853a0f0e634ed8ef7409.jpg

I’d be willing to wager a pretty penny that was Comic Connect.  My experience buying raw books from them has been horrible, and I know I’m not alone.

18 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Just added this super cool book to the Planet collection.  The Locker reprints from 1951 don’t come up for sale often.  I’d love to find them all some day (there are 5 of them). 

BDA37639-DF1E-4039-9727-C1D5CA4DC3AD.jpeg

Those Locker reprints are very cool.  Congratulations on the pickup!

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

While we are at the end of the run, for some reason we started this great Planet Comics reveal at issue 2.

And so fellow boardies, lets see those #1's!

I bought my #1 from Metropolis as a raw book ( before I learned of their nature regarding raws ).

It presents beautifully but it is restored. I purchased the book as a raw 6.5.

I had my friend John's restored Planet Comics 1 cgc 6.0 in my hand and had the choice to purchase it. Instead I chose to keep my book as it presented so nicely, and at the time I believed my copy was a 6.5. I finally submitted it to be graded and when I got it back from grading it is a 4.5. My friend's Planet 1 went to a fellow Planet collector and I am sure it will be shown in a following post. :)

I still like my book, one of the nicest 4.5's you will see.

PlanetComics1front_zps611df61d.jpg?width

1972028178_PlanetComic1_thumb_jpg_2e4e4066c7af9aa7d1c8ccfea300300c.jpg

Nice book Karl!

26 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

While we are at the end of the run, for some reason we started this great Planet Comics reveal at issue 2.

And so fellow boardies, lets see those #1's!

I bought my #1 from Metropolis as a raw book ( before I learned of their nature regarding raws ).

It presents beautifully but it is restored. I purchased the book as a raw 6.5.

I had my friend John's restored Planet Comics 1 cgc 6.0 in my hand and had the choice to purchase it. Instead I chose to keep my book as it presented so nicely, and at the time I believed my copy was a 6.5. I finally submitted it to be graded and when I got it back from grading it is a 4.5. My friend's Planet 1 went to a fellow Planet collector and I am sure it will be shown in a following post. :)

I still like my book, one of the nicest 4.5's you will see.

PlanetComics1front_zps611df61d.jpg?width

1972028178_PlanetComic1_thumb_jpg_2e4e4066c7af9aa7d1c8ccfea300300c.jpg

21 minutes ago, piper said:

Nice book Karl!

Yes, we did skip #1, so I’m glad we are going back to where it all started to end this daily progression through the run!

Thank you Karl for connecting me with John to purchase this book. It remains one of the prize jewels of my collection!

27C85B48-B4A6-4B48-B207-0160BCE36434.jpeg