• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Drgoldage said:

I am a bit late to The Planet #1 party as well . I first received Howard Rogofsky’s list in the 1960s and marveled at pages of old comics I had never seen or heard of , including a intriguing title listed as Planet Comics . I was in Las Vegas no old book or thrift shops to find comics and to tell the truth I had no idea what a Planet 1 looked like. I spotted a Planet 1 on Ed Dobolak’s list in 1970s bought it and was hooked . This is a meager coverless copy outer wrap missing but liked the stories and was hooked .

image.jpg

I wanted a complete copy of Planet 1 wasn’t satisfied with incomplete coverless so was fortunate to find another copy complete but still no cover 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Later I was digging in a paper dealers junk box about 3 feet high with church pamphlets/sheet music / ads ripped from magazines and about 1/2 way down this ,made my day and my week . He had no idea what this was from and bought for a even dollar 

image.jpg

I was finally making some progress with a piece from the front cover Of Planet 1  and by this time I was looking for any Lou Fine book I could find and in a auction was rewarded with this 

image.jpg

I kept searching for a intact planet 1 a classic cover and was rewarded in time with

image.jpg

I was buying the other planets by now I really liked # 2 but still was hoping to upgrade the 1 

image.jpg

I really like Planet 1 the advancing horde of green skinned horrors with a outworldly Fortress in the background and a cool spaceship in foreground with a gorgeous babe and space hero fighting the horde off  , anyway so bought one more copy 

image.jpg

image.jpg

This amazing progression through Planet 1’s blew my mind! So cool. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have a restored 6.0 copy that I love, but I would also like to add an unrestored Planet 1 to the collection at some point. Your books are wonderful! 

Another masterful cover with incredible covers

image.jpg

59 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Not high grade didn’t flinch any planet or as great in the 1970s or 1980s

image.jpg

57 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

image.jpg

55 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Planet 5 for me was elusive all the copies I saw were brittle or beat and was the last book in first ten I acquired

image.jpg

54 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

image.jpg

51 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Color strikes really vary  one 8 is a gray background and another more blue I’ve seen much more striking copies 

image.jpg

49 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Another great cover on 7yellows reds and blue pop 

image.jpg

48 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

image.jpg

43 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Looks like another dull day in the office after the cover of #1 I think our hero can handle a few green uglies save his lady and win over the vixen 

image.jpg

41 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Another green giant of  a Villain I would not care to meet

image.jpg

39 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

12 was harder to find than most 

image.jpg

36 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

Haven’t found the elusive 13 or 14 got lucky with the 15 and another example of how color strikes vary I prefer the red dress to the orange but still love the cover and another green GargoyleGargoyle

image.jpg

Thank you so very much for sharing all of these!  I love the early Planets so much and I had not seen your amazing collection before. You have some truly outstanding Planets in your collection (worship)

I am a bit late to The Planet #1 party as well . I first received Howard Rogofsky’s list in the 1960s and marveled at pages of old comics I had never seen or heard of , including a intriguing title listed as Planet Comics . I was in Las Vegas no old book or thrift shops to find comics and to tell the truth I had no idea what a Planet 1 looked like. I spotted a Planet 1 on Ed Dobolak’s list in 1970s bought it and was hooked . This is a meager coverless copy outer wrap missing but liked the stories and was hooked .

image.jpg

I am also located in Las Vegas. Any chance you still live in the area? 

21 minutes ago, Drgoldage said:

My wife and I visit Vegas often but went to college in 1978 and stayed in Nebraska . I’ve really enjoyed seeing all the great Planet’s out there and had time to finally share a few of my own . 

Thanks for sharing - great to have you aboard!

18 hours ago, Drgoldage said:

Haven’t found the elusive 13 or 14 got lucky with the 15 and another example of how color strikes vary I prefer the red dress to the orange but still love the cover and another green GargoyleGargoyle

image.jpg

Loving your collection (thumbsu

20 hours ago, Drgoldage said:

My wife and I visit Vegas often but went to college in 1978 and stayed in Nebraska . I’ve really enjoyed seeing all the great Planet’s out there and had time to finally share a few of my own . 

Awesome books.  The series of posts on your Planet 1 progression was a lot of fun.  Thanks for posting your books :foryou: