• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

The art on Lost World there looks very much like Reed Crandall.

Splash panels look like Reed might have touched them up but it is art by Rudi Palais. :preach:1952%20PLANET%20066-140d_zps490vmplv.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

As someone who actually reads comic books, I love discovering new stuff. While some of the stories may themselves be a bit lame by todays standards, there is certainly much food for thought reading between the lines.

With this in mind here is a serious question for those that read Planet Comics.

Did George Lucas ever read these books? If so, did he take any inspiration from them? If so does this mean that Graham Ingels deserves some credit also?

Lucas was born in 1944, so a bit young to have read Planet at the time, but that doesn't mean he didn't read them at a later date. I base my theory on 'The Lost World' strip which was written by Thornecliffe Herrick, which I believe is a pseudonym for Graham Ingels, unless I'm totally wrong on this....

The baddies in this ongoing monthly story were a race of creatures called the 'Voltans'.

Look at these panels and note their speech patterns, remind you of anyone in the Star Wars franchise?

000_0003_zps8qvkjlq1.jpg

000_0002_zpskntv2sud.jpg

000_0001_zps2enevof5.jpg

As someone who actually reads comic books, I love discovering new stuff. While some of the stories may themselves be a bit lame by todays standards, there is certainly much food for thought reading between the lines.

With this in mind here is a serious question for those that read Planet Comics.

Did George Lucas ever read these books? If so, did he take any inspiration from them? If so does this mean that Graham Ingels deserves some credit also?

Lucas was born in 1944, so a bit young to have read Planet at the time, but that doesn't mean he didn't read them at a later date. I base my theory on 'The Lost World' strip which was written by Thornecliffe Herrick, which I believe is a pseudonym for Graham Ingels, unless I'm totally wrong on this....

The baddies in this ongoing monthly story were a race of creatures called the 'Voltans'.

Look at these panels and note their speech patterns, remind you of anyone in the Star Wars franchise?

000_0003_zps8qvkjlq1.jpg

000_0002_zpskntv2sud.jpg

000_0001_zps2enevof5.jpg

I remember reading this pattern of speech in a Planet book and thinking the exact same thing. Its probably not a coincidence.

Edited by jhutton2

Yes, but not today :o

'jack, that is one good-lookin' sigline!

Same with your great funny books, should have held on to some of those Marvel keys!

Edited by comicjack

This is only my 4th Planet, so feel lucky to have this beautiful cover so early, arguably the best cover in the Planet run. :cloud9: It's a pretty decent copy (has a little chipping) courtesy of Jerry-Krypto.

1951%20PLANET%20065-190a_zpsk37seggt.jpg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190c_zpsd2y5d1ik.jpg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190d_zpsqpmls0me.jpg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190e_zpsforxjijh.jpg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190b_zpsn0od7gne.jpg