• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,229 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Hey Friends, 

I'm pretty excited about this next book. Those who know me best realize how important of a book this is for my Planet collection. Not-only is it an upgrade for my recently-posted Planet #1 (happily now Rick's), it is THE SPECIFIC COPY of this book I've been looking for over a year for. The 1st of twelve high-grade Planets from a bound volume, brilliantly-restored by Susan Cicconi. This book is killer to hold in-hand. PQ is amazing and the cover colors, inside and out, are among the best I've seen. Now just 7, 8, & 11! This one is a former 8.5....

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

I've always liked the back of these first few Planets with the back advertising. It is always fun to see what you could buy from a 40's mail order. Guns, airplanes, hats, dancing lesson book, etc.

On a separate note, Owning a Planet 1 is quite an accomplishment, finding one in great condition is super tough, owning the exact one from a certain collection of books is quite a feat. I am sure you are :cloud9: as you should be.

Edited by kelholt
Spelling

9 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Hey Friends, 

I'm pretty excited about this next book. Those who know me best realize how important of a book this is for my Planet collection. Not-only is it an upgrade for my recently-posted Planet #1 (happily now Rick's), it is THE SPECIFIC COPY of this book I've been looking for over a year for. The 1st of twelve high-grade Planets from a bound volume, brilliantly-restored by Susan Cicconi. This book is killer to hold in-hand. PQ is amazing and the cover colors, inside and out, are among the best I've seen. Now just 7, 8, & 11! This one is a former 8.5....

Wow. Those colors are absolutely unbelievable!

15 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Wow. Those colors are absolutely unbelievable!

Thanks Man! I must admit it's pretty awesome seeing this book lined up with the others. I've got things arranged so this is the first thing I see when I visit my comics...:cloud9:

Edited by Soft-Serve

On 5/16/2017 at 2:47 PM, Zolnerowich said:

It could easily be argued that one reason for the popularity of Planet Comics is that many of the covers are so good, they're all classics.

In addition to the ones you listed (#2, 5, 8, 17, 18, 19, 33, 35, 45, 58, 59, 65, 66, 70, & 72), I would say that #10, 11, 12, 14, 24, 28, 36, 39, 44, 48, 52, 55, and 56 make me drool. And that's just when I'm taking my anti-drool medication!

On 5/16/2017 at 3:40 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I think that is pretty close from my personal POV. I would add #13, #21, #22, #29 and #71 - and perhaps #32, #49 and #53. Merge those and it's about half the run. 

This is hilarious. I figured this would happen! The are ALL so good. 

Ok, Let's try this another way. Which ones are the hardest to find? I don't mean hardest for you to find (because certainly #71 & #72 were tough for me, now they are popping up everywhere) I'm thinking more traditionally HTF. #15 for sure, but I would also put #2, #5, #6, #14, #28, & #34 in to the ring. 

Also, what is your vote for the top 10 Planet covers in-terms of "classicness"? They should be ones that everyone drools over, are the most sought after because of the cover, and could be conisder iconic of the brand. Here are my votes: (in numerical order, not preference)

JEREMY'S TOP 10 CLASSIC PLANET COVERS:

th_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comicsth_Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics

Edited by Soft-Serve

33 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Ok, Let's try this another way. Which ones are the hardest to find? I don't mean hardest for you to find (because certainly #71 & #72 were tough for me, now they are popping up everywhere) I'm thinking more traditionally HTF. #15 for sure, but I would also put #2, #5, #6, #14, #28, & #34 in to the ring. 

Without discussing condition...

Absolute hardest:

5, 6, 14, 15

difficult:

2, 10, 13, 17, 26

33 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Without discussing condition...

Absolute hardest:

5, 6, 14, 15

difficult:

2, 10, 13, 17, 26

What are, to you, the top 10 Classic Covers?  Other folks should chime in on this. I will aggregate the results. 

32 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

What are, to you, the top 10 Classic Covers?  Other folks should chime in on this. I will aggregate the results. 

Very hard for me to answer which is why I have been avoiding answering. :flamed:

Now that you are calling me out...

I am fond of/ call them classic covers:

6, 10, 15, 17, 19, 33, 34, 66, 70, 71

Hard to narrow it down to 10.

I will give it some thought along with hardest to find (condition not being a factor which could be a very different list) and post later.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Very hard for me to answer which is why I have been avoiding answering. :flamed:

Now that you are calling me out...

I am fond of/ call them classic covers:

6, 10, 15, 17, 19, 33, 34, 66, 70, 71

Like your list, but think 22 and 39 should also be present. I'd drop 66, so would have a top 11. :tonofbricks:

3 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Hi Jeremy. Here are my top 10 classic covers (limited to ones I own):  2, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 19, 35, 39, 56. It is rivet-heavy.

It's great to see everyone's lists! It's fun to see what we all agree on, but which ones are particular you your own tastes. Keep posting your numbers and I'll keep putting them up. Once it seems like we are all done, I'll post a "master" Top Ten of the most common choices. (oh, if you want to change one, post what you want to add, and the one you want to remove) I might be doing that soon.... I'll update the post above as-needed and will bump it down once it get's buried.