• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kelholt said:

Instantly the best book in my box.

I first was drawn to this copy by the look, coloring, whiteness of the back cover and the overall condition. Now I am equally fond of the tough pedigree: Toledo

IMG_7658.JPG

IMG_0950.PNG

That is a gorgeous book sir! Have to start a planet run myself!?

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have one Toldeo in my collection that was cracked from a broken slab. Still have the label in the back of the mylar:

PlanetComics22raw50_zps5735c2be.jpg

Nice! Just curious, what did that grade at?

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have one Toldeo in my collection that was cracked from a broken slab. Still have the label in the back of the mylar:

PlanetComics22raw50_zps5735c2be.jpg

Toledo books , from what I have seen, mostly have a great look to them with several of them having one flaw that can drop it a couple digits. Kind of like the clipped upper corner on yours. I have never read or owned a 22, it looks like a great issue. Yours  is a beautiful copy :foryou:

As I took them into work on a quiet morning to see the results on our work scanner (actually several scanners bu this li'l Epson was far and away the most accurate), I also re-scanned my vexatious #17. I am certain there area copies out therewith redder backgrounds, but I'm happy enough because this 'un is is a lot darker than average (but maybe not quite as dark as my previous scan suggested...)

Let the jury decide.

Planet Comics #17 CGC 6.5.jpg

9 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

..and here is a snapshot today of the two copies side by side for comparative purposes...

20170701_101342.jpg

Two great books, Michael - if given a choice, I'd take the 8.0 restored (weird to select a PLOD over a Blue, I know).

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

Two great books, Michael - if given a choice, I'd take the 8.0 restored (weird to select a PLOD over a Blue, I know).

Crazy color difference but Jb's copy really pops :smile:

11 hours ago, comicjack said:

The purple is so dark its almost freakish. I genuinely cant recall seeing that background color in a Fiction House book before. But presumably, that is what the cover was meant to look like, since variations have progressively less. It also sets me wondering about color layers, and alternately, about color substitutions that would be genuine variants rather than progressively washed out cover states. I think I understand it less than I did before! :screwy:

11 hours ago, comicjack said:

I'm getting all mystical now - normally I'd also use the word 'pop' to denote a super saturated cover color palette. In this case, the overall palette is so dark and intense that it kinda sucks you in. It doesn't so much pop as implode. I've tried to scan it and photograph it, but cant satisfactorily convey it. An albatross indeed (thanks kelholt for that appellation - great word!)

And its now official - I only really collect alabatrosses..

..and maybe the odd Frigate Bird. (Puffed up? Me?)

484521468_aa4da9fb76_b.jpg