• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2017 at 10:40 PM, Zolnerowich said:

It is gratifying that in a post-Berk Auction world, one can still find Berk books when least expected. And at a proper discount compared to the original auction price. :smile:

(fuzzy pile carpet not included with book)

u61gnE7.jpg

I love the vibrant covers on these late FH books.  Never seen an explanation (or forgot the ones I did see!) of how they achieved this effect or why other publishers didn't copy it. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I love the vibrant covers on these late FH books.  Never seen an explanation (or forgot the ones I did see!) of how they achieved this effect or why other publishers didn't copy it. 

Yes, it is very odd. It sort of coincided with Maurice Whitman coming on board for the covers. And also coincided with the last sputters of the original FH titles. Planet issues #51-62 were bimonthly (through Sept. 1949), then #63 in Winter 1949, then #64 in Spring 1949. Then #65, arguably the first hyper-vibrant cover, appears with a "1951" date, and then very sporadically through the last issue, #73 (Winter 1953). Same thing basically occurred with Wings Comics and Fight Comics in terms of artist (Whitman) and sporadic output. Maybe FH decided the best way to save the ship was by amping up the colors, or maybe they bought a new printing press in an effort to re-energize. Or maybe they had money to burn (on flashy covers) to liquidate their assets and get some tax relief. Or maybe Maurice Whitman insisted on bright colors! :insane:

These are all completely unfounded hypotheses of course. But based on the erratic pub dates, it does seem like the company was teetering..

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

When you think about how many of the best Fiction House work was by Maurice Whitman and Joe Doolin it seems a shame they are not discussed in the same way as Baker and Cole.  They should be.  

I completely agree. Of all Doolin's covers, I think this one most closely emulates Baker's grace and articulation. In fact I've sometimes wondered whether Baker had a hand in it, though I think that does Doolin a disservice.

Planet Comics #55 CGC 9.4.jpg

27 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I snagged the #11, the price was steep but it was a tough one I still needed for my run.   What did you add to your box my friend?

26 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Drum roll let's here it for the Planets :tink:

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Which one? Some NICE ones today.

Hi Jason, Jack, and Rick.

As a completist, I finally had to commit: Planet #15.

All in all not a bad deal, given that a 7.5 sold for $17.9 last year = $2,390 per point.

At least that's what I'm telling myself!

38 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I snagged the #11, the price was steep but it was a tough one I still needed for my run.   What did you add to your box my friend?

Great pick-up! I love that book -- for some reason it doesn't seem to get the love of other early Rivets.

44 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hi Jason, Jack, and Rick.

As a completist, I finally had to commit: Planet #15.

All in all not a bad deal, given that a 7.5 sold for $17.9 last year = $2,390 per point.

At least that's what I'm telling myself!

Hey you joined the club and i saw that book in NY and it was sweet (thumbsu