• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,230 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

well in fairness I can be rather obsessive.

In 2013 my Mother passed away and I received an inheritance and I "invested" a good portion of it into comics. Planet Comics was one of my choices among a few other Golden Age books and I do not regret it. Since 2014 all the books have gone up in value. While they are not as liquid as actual money as you have to find a buyer it is difficult for me to find an investment that performs as well as comics...

I also sold a lot of books. I call them sacrifices to generate cash that went towards completing the run/upgrading.

Cya CGC 3.0 AF15

Cya CGC 5.5 Hulk 1 as examples...

Thanks for sharing. Cool story.

So, does anyone here collect the Planet Stories pulps? I honestly no nothing at all about pulps or the market for them, but I’m curios given that Planet Comics came from Planet Stories, at least in the beginning. Any insights into the quality of the art? Collectibility? Prices/values? Thanks

Edited by Spyder!
Can’t spell, nice one GG

8 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I’m the beginning.

...and I moved upon the earth and there was light....

and then I created the planets. :insane:

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw your post. I don't specificaly "collect" them, but do pick them up when they are decent shape and priced right. Most do not seem super rare. Since there is mostly text inside, they aren't even close to as desirable as their comic book counter parts. Prices are VERY affordable because of this. Since I buy most pulps for their cover art they seem like a great bargain. Most comic book collectors seem a little afraid to step out of their comfort zone on stuff like these but I love them. Many of the pulps have covers that blow away comic covers.

Here are #2 and #12

pulpplanet2.jpg

pulpplanet12.jpg

Pretty cool stuff! Definitely some awesome covers. I know some of the covers of the comics were swiped from the pulps. 

Thanks for sharing!

On 1/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, Flex Mentallo said:
On 1/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, Dubble G said:

I take your points, but I was not talking about monetary value. I'm not interested in that aspect, probably because I'm not in those leagues. I was merely talking about aesthetics. Whatever the reasons behind the qualification, that book looks to be an 8.5 at best to me. However that is my opinion, and only my opinion. It's an honest one.

Would I be happy to own that particular copy? Of course. Would I be happy with the grade assigned to it? 

Over the moon. 

I've always felt that CGC's dilemma regarded aesthetics versus technical grade. I once passed on some early Mystery Tales [Northland pedigree] because of severe browning to inner covers. I mean, they were baked. Another buyer, evidently more astute than I,  had them graded, and they came back in the NM range - maybe 9.0 [it's a while ago so not entirely certain now]. I was shocked, but it is interesting to think on 'visible' versus 'invisible' faults after a book is CGC graded, and how various faults are treated. It's far more an art than a science, and art is opinion, which sometimes leads to discomfiture.

As for whether it is an 8.5 or a 9.0? I doubt very much it's inherent desirability [let's not say value] is much changed if the grade is lowered - the chip is still there, and so are the vibrant colors, and the exceptional structure.

I respect your opinion, but give me aesthetics any day!

Veering way OT, but, yeah, some of CGC's decisions about how much to ding a book because of production problems are clearly not consistent with the opinion of collectors as revealed in market prices.  Exhibit A would be chipping on Marvel SA keys.

The other complication is that CGC sometimes changes how it grades a defect (without announcing what that it has done so). I have a feeling that those Northland's would get lower grades today because my impression is that CGC has increased the deduction for cover tanning. 

Edited by Sqeggs

2 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, CGC 9.2 copy of Planet #2 coming to auction at HA. So that means the 2nd and 3rd highest copies on the census are both about to hit the market (the 8.0 at CC is the 3rd). Planet 2s are falling from the sky!

The moon and the stars are all correctly aligned with the Planets

2 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, CGC 9.2 copy of Planet #2 coming to auction at HA. So that means the 2nd and 3rd highest copies on the census are both about to hit the market (the 8.0 at CC is the 3rd). Planet 2s are falling from the sky!

To quote a wise boardie..

:roflmao:

On 1/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Yeah, Planet #2, common as dirt.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, kelholt said:

19 and 13 are very similar in composition and they are both tops on my rivets list.

Similar in composition you say?

My copies. 13 next to mirror image of 19.  These two are definitely related!

13v19r.PNG

Edited by Spyder!

1 hour ago, SushiX said:

here is my 2nd planet I own now! :whee:

20190114_185502.jpg

I LOVE date stamps. This one is especially well placed. And pedigreed no less!

I am not a huge fan of the mid-run issues. For me, 1-35 are great for the most part, and so are 65-73. There are about 5 exceptions to that rule and 53 is one of them! Very nice.

29 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I LOVE date stamps. This one is especially well placed. And pedigreed no less!

I am not a huge fan of the mid-run issues. For me, 1-35 are great for the most part, and so are 65-73. There are about 5 exceptions to that rule and 53 is one of them! Very nice.

39, 41, 53, 56, 58

(I have a soft spot for 44 and 51 too)