'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
23 23

3,901 posts in this topic

17,318 posts
2 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Happy to have this copy of 20 in hand. Love Zolne rivets.  I’m hoping it will grade higher than my 3.5.  Might be close. :wishluck:

867CEE4B-3EA8-461A-99B8-A42EEDC63636.jpeg

nice colors and a great cover (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
119 posts

Anyone know who owns the Cosmic Aeroplane 65 7.0?...and if there are any other known pedigree 65s?  It’s interesting that not only is it missing from the Church collection, but almost every other pedigree as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,207 posts
On 6/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, jhutton2 said:

I still have them :)

 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, Spyder! said:

:headbang:

:headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,373 posts
19 hours ago, eschnit said:

Anyone know who owns the Cosmic Aeroplane 65 7.0?...and if there are any other known pedigree 65s?  It’s interesting that not only is it missing from the Church collection, but almost every other pedigree as well.

I wasnt aware the Church collection did not include a Planet 65.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
119 posts
5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I wasnt aware the Church collection did not include a Planet 65.

You might be right.  I don't know either way.  I just know it wasn't part of the group in the Event Auction from last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,318 posts
1 hour ago, eschnit said:

You might be right.  I don't know either way.  I just know it wasn't part of the group in the Event Auction from last year.  

Doesn't mean there isn't one that has been in the past with certain books

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
119 posts
5 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Doesn't mean there isn't one that has been in the past with certain books

I hear you.  More often than not, that kind of thing doesn't remain a secret though.  I mean the guys at Metropolis must have been told right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,167 posts
14 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have been told there is not a Church Planet 65

Is this correct @Flex Mentallo and/or @jhutton2 @kelholt @adamstrange @Artboy99 ?

If it is out there and you enjoy copious amounts of money reach out to me please. :bigsmile:

The Planet run was sold by Chuck before he put together his catalog, making it difficult to verify. 

Chuck sold a number of comics early on and a neat cover like Planet 65 (which would have been cheap at the time) could have been picked up by someone of modest means.  It would probably not have a code and could be out there in the collecting ether, hopefully to be eventually discovered, though perhaps without attribution to the Church collection. 

Or Edgar Church may never have owned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,941 posts
24 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The Planet run was sold by Chuck before he put together his catalog, making it difficult to verify. 

Chuck sold a number of comics early on and a neat cover like Planet 65 (which would have been cheap at the time) could have been picked up by someone of modest means.  It would probably not have a code and could be out there in the collecting ether, hopefully to be eventually discovered, though perhaps without attribution to the Church collection. 

Or Edgar Church may never have owned it.

OK, with this in mind, I am going to say it is probably this one :banana::bigsmile:

I need to crack it back out and smell it now. 

 

fc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,167 posts

The only Planet listed in Chuck's catalog is the 67 -- which was graded "fair".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,918 posts
1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have been told there is not a Church Planet 65

Is this correct @Flex Mentallo and/or @jhutton2 @kelholt @adamstrange @Artboy99 ?

If it is out there and you enjoy copious amounts of money reach out to me please. :bigsmile:

When Fishler initially bought all the Church Planets, I was told that 65 was not in the group. It could have been sold before this but I doubt it. With all the awesome Planet books why would just 65 and a handful of others be cherry picked out and leaving all the other great ones.

It does not exist or at least where it could be proven except if coded IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,373 posts
26 minutes ago, kelholt said:

When Fishler initially bought all the Church Planets, I was told that 65 was not in the group. It could have been sold before this but I doubt it. With all the awesome Planet books why would just 65 and a handful of others be cherry picked out and leaving all the other great ones.

It does not exist or at least where it could be proven except if coded IMHO.

conversely why would Church buy all the other Planets but not the 65? 

I believe it exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,941 posts
25 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

conversely why would Church buy all the other Planets but not the 65? 

I believe it exists.

 Some say it’s been spotted deep in the woods of northern Oregon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,167 posts
30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

conversely why would Church buy all the other Planets but not the 65? 

I believe it exists.

My suspicion is that Church had his newsstand set aside "one of everything", given how complete and consistent the collection was.  Even if that's the case (and it's the best case for ensuring consistency), there were 18,000 issues over the course of 1937 - 1952 (with some before and after that).  It is not surprising that there would be some doubles and some misses.

Given the evidence we have is "no evidence" I can't really pick between the options.

1. It might exist and we find it.

2. It might exist and we don't find it.

3. It might have never existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,373 posts
6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

My suspicion is that Church had his newsstand set aside "one of everything", given how complete and consistent the collection was.  Even if that's the case (and it's the best case for ensuring consistency), there were 18,000 issues over the course of 1937 - 1952 (with some before and after that).  It is not surprising that there would be some doubles and some misses.

Given the evidence we have is "no evidence" I can't really pick between the options.

1. It might exist and we find it.

2. It might exist and we don't find it.

3. It might have never existed.

missing an issue is definitely possible. As a completist myself I know if I miss a book I try to get it. 

I think Church also did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,531 posts
42 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Some say it’s been spotted deep in the woods of northern Oregon.

As have Elvis and Jim Morrison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,719 posts

Interesting discussion.  It just seems strange that he would have issues after 65 like 68, 69, and 70, but not 65. 

Also, there was no 66 or 71 in the CC auction, were these also not part of the Church collection? 

Did Fishler keep a few faves?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,918 posts
26 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Interesting discussion.  It just seems strange that he would have issues after 65 like 68, 69, and 70, but not 65. 

Also, there was no 66 or 71 in the CC auction, were these also not part of the Church collection? 

Did Fishler keep a few faves?

 

From what I have been told “none were held out of the auction”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
23 23