• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, skypinkblu said:

Did anyone see the Planet 27 on eBay tonight (it only had 80+) watchers) an Okajima 5.5 went for over $5300.00 I thought I had put in an insane bid, but I was way off;) 

Big congrats to the winner of a historic Planet.

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/143500113163

Were your congratluations tongue-in-cheek?

Paying a stupid price for a book like that winning bidder did just encourages the flippers on eBay who think every book they own is worth a fortune. (That's if the sale was real; with eBay, you never know.)

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Paying a stupid price for a book like that winning bidder did just encourages the flippers on eBay who think every book they own is worth a fortune. (That's if the sale was real; with eBay, you never know.)

I was not the winner or involved with this in anyway but I do know that the buyer is real and is very content with having this.

i’ve had some private offers come to me on camp copies that I had in the past that were beyond this price point. I only have one at this time so I don’t have any motivation in overhyping this Pedegree but it seems the interest in it has heated up significantly. 

3 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I rarely do "tongue and cheek" and if I did, it would probably be privately. I just figured someone else wanted it a lot and they got it for more than was in my price range. The seller is a board member and the sale was legit.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

After recently acquiring a couple more early rivet Planets, I have realized how much more I love the interiors on the later ones. The early ones are pretty boring art and story wise. 

I agree.The early Planets stand or fall by their covers although there are some decent splashes, however some of the stories are just plain confusing in their narrative. The later ones matured into much better interior art are more easily fathomable narratives, altho' i have to say the general impression of story content in the run is kind of sub standard. They are kind of a hard read in my opinion.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was not the winner or involved with this in anyway but I do know that the buyer is real and is very content with having this.

i’ve had some private offers come to me on camp copies that I had in the past that were beyond this price point. I only have one at this time so I don’t have any motivation in overhyping this Pedegree but it seems the interest in it has heated up significantly. 

When you say beyond that price point, do you mean in terms of multiples? Or is $5K the entry level price for a camp book now, with books that have higher guide prices selling for lower multiples? A pedigree used to be a bonus; I'm not sure how or when we got to the point that the pedigree trumps the book. (Personally, I'd ditch a pedigree book for a non-ped any day of the week if I could upgrade or get better page quality or eye appeal. Apparently some collectors feel differently?)