• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

My #19 is a special one. As you know by now, I'm no stranger to restoration. In almost every case I prefer presentation and stability over purity, so when this beauty came up for sale I snagged it for a song. Only catch, the back cover had be cut with something sharp near the spine. Not torn, but deliberately clean cut with no wear from years of separation. So I hit the BIN and re-joined the back with archive tape. (I suppose I could have done with Scotch tape and still have a blue label, but I don't slab so it was a non-issue. Also, I prefer conservation over designation) Anyway, she looks pretty nice too and I'm very happy to have her in my collection.... (another shout out to Rick for bring this one to my attention. He should get some good Karma for that one...)

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Edited by Soft-Serve

20 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

My #19 is a special one. As you know by now, I'm no stranger to restoration. In almost every case I prefer presentation and stability over purity, so when this beauty came up for sale I snagged it for a song. Only catch, the back cover had be cut with something sharp near the spine. Not torn, but deliberately clean cut with no wear from years of separation. So I hit the BIN and re-joined the back with archive tape. (I suppose I could have done with Scotch tape and still have a blue label, but I don't slab so it was a non-issue. Also, I prefer conservation over designation) Anyway, she looks pretty nice too and I'm very happy to have her in my collection.... (another shout out to Rick for bring this one to my attention. He should get some good Karma for that one...)

That's a pretty book. 19 is one of my favorites.  Sounds like Rick is your comic Cupid, hooking you up with some sweet books.

2 minutes ago, kelholt said:

That's a pretty book. 19 is one of my favorites.  Sounds like Rick is your comic Cupid, hooking you up with some sweet books.

Thanks! Yeah, Rick is kinda my Planet Comics agent. I highly recommend him. Just get yourself some good representation and you'll complete your run in no-time. :baiting:

4 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Thanks! Yeah, Rick is kinda my Planet Comics agent. I highly recommend him. Just get yourself some good representation and you'll complete your run in no-time. :baiting:

Knowing Jeremy is getting so close I have stepped aside a few times on rivets I wanted to alert him with the Planet signal.

:tink: I am happy to see him getting so close and sometimes I trade for his under copies.  

No #20, but here is my #21. It's not exactly the grade I want for this issue, but it looks nice enough and I think I'll keep her in place for a while. The stain helped keep this structurally nice copy's price down. I've had a few opportunities to replace her, but I've been kind of mired in upgrading my existing run for a while now, so I'm refocusing on getting the books I need to fill gaps. Once I complete the run, I'll circle back to put a 7.0 or 8.0 in this spot. 

Edited by Soft-Serve

Here's my #23. My last acquisition from the Clink auction. I'm pretty excited to have it.  Not only is it the first new logo issue, the grade is just right, and it has a strong red/orange background that I prefer. I love that there is so much variation with the color strikes of FH books! I know it's annoying to some (and they yellow/orange copies appear like fading) but it's like having endless variants to choose from. Everyone can get their favorite or collect 'em all...

pla1.1366a.jpg

Edited by Soft-Serve

33 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

So many beautiful books in this thread.  It's making want to go find the last issues I need right now....lol

I know, right? It's actually the reason why I've avoided reading much of this thread let-alone participating in it. I knew what the end result would be: Me trading my cash for Planets. Did you pick up anything nice in the Spring CC auction? 

Edited by Soft-Serve

3 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

Don't have a #17 yet either (I'll forever kick myself for not picking up Rick's copy when he had it up), so we skip ahead to #18. Got this one at the Link as well, so here is the auction pick. Really looking forward to cracking out this one... I've been on a slow and arduous upgrade to this copy. It's my third after a 1.5 and a 3.5. Third time's the charm.... 

pla1.1361a.jpg

Nice background blues! It's often grey (like mine :frown: )

3 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

I know, right? It's actually the reason why I've avoided reading much of this thread let-alone participating in it. I knew what the end result would be: Me trading my cash for Planets. Did you pick up anything nice in the Spring CC auction? 

Four issues, three upgrades and one that fills a vacant spot :)  Feeling a bit broke as a result, but happy with the purchases.  I posted the issues a little further back in this thread.

3 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

Four issues, three upgrades and one that fills a vacant spot :)  Feeling a bit broke as a result, but happy with the purchases.  I posted the issues a little further back in this thread.

Whoops, totally missed that post. Guess I didn't read as carefully as I thought! Killer #17 man, I wanted that one too, but I couldn't buy them all. I bet you're pretty stoked about that #4. Congrats! That's really pretty copy you picked up too!

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Nice background blues! It's often grey (like mine :frown: )

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about that blue. I've seen some nice purples though, maybe upgrade #4?

1 hour ago, Soft-Serve said:

Here' s my #25. It's a mid grade, but looks pretty with a nice dark background. Look at those reds!

Wow! That is red! I love that the space-babe is roasting some alien lizards for dinner.