• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,231 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Haven't found a #44 I like yet, so on to the next. Believe it or not, but this is my first Planet purchase! I actually found it at a LCS and paid a bit too much for it, but I was hooked. With a cover like this, can you blame me? Here's my #45..

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

It has awesome color!

My 45 is high grade but I think the colors on your copy are stronger.

PlanetComics45rawVFfront_zps01ebb3a5.jpg

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Mine is sort of teal in color

Planet Comics 18 CGC 6.0 front.jpg

Ooooh, I like the background. Also like the more-red dress too. I've seen a few copies with a blood-red dress, I would easily ditch my copy for one of those, even a lower grade....

54 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Alright, back to it. I've not found a #31 I like enough to buy yet, so here's my #32. Another one of my favorite issues!

32 seems to be another book with lots of variations in color strike. Your copy is more like Flex's. Mine has very strong colors but not the deep orange your copy has, but the yellow, greens and blues are amazing on my copy. I think it is clear that the red color plate was running out of ink when my copy was printed. Can see some remnants of the ink in the letters.

PlanetComics32raw80_zps99ef463b.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

41 is the first Planet I ever bought, I loved the medusa and the pretty girl tied down and it is clear what the intent is: she is about to be transformed into a medusa. It is interesting that both your copy and mine have nearly the exact same crack in the cover at the top left. Production defect for certain.

If you look at FH in general, lot's of them have it. I think the CGC just ignores it as I've seen quite a few high-grade slabbed books with it. Awesome copy by the way, love the saturation! 

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

32 seems to be another book with lots of variations in color strike. Your copy is more like Flex's. Mine has very strong colors but not the deep orange your copy has, but the yellow, greens and blues are amazing on my copy.

PlanetComics32raw80_zps99ef463b.jpg

Wow, they are so different! It's a real study in color theory as I don't think our blues are very different. The lighter, more yellow, background though make your's pop better than mine.  Yellow ink was fresh pot for you, Red for me... Awesome deep green dress! Also love the golden blonde hair and, uh, bra-gongs.... 

20 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

My #19 is a special one. As you know by now, I'm no stranger to restoration. In almost every case I prefer presentation and stability over purity, so when this beauty came up for sale I snagged it for a song. Only catch, the back cover had be cut with something sharp near the spine. Not torn, but deliberately clean cut with no wear from years of separation. So I hit the BIN and re-joined the back with archive tape. (I suppose I could have done with Scotch tape and still have a blue label, but I don't slab so it was a non-issue. Also, I prefer conservation over designation) Anyway, she looks pretty nice too and I'm very happy to have her in my collection.... (another shout out to Rick for bring this one to my attention. He should get some good Karma for that one...)

I love how your copy presents.

Here is mine, it is one of my favorites, the slab cracked in shipping. It has very strong colors

PlanetComics19CGC60_zps6872c451.jpg

19 hours ago, Soft-Serve said:

No #20, but here is my #21. It's not exactly the grade I want for this issue, but it looks nice enough and I think I'll keep her in place for a while. The stain helped keep this structurally nice copy's price down. I've had a few opportunities to replace her, but I've been kind of mired in upgrading my existing run for a while now, so I'm refocusing on getting the books I need to fill gaps. Once I complete the run, I'll circle back to put a 7.0 or 8.0 in this spot. 

I bought my 21 for the strong color it has

PlanetComics21front_zpsa8dc6480.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Soft-Serve said:

Thanks for letting me climb into the treehouse!

Talk about the right timing, I got both of these at the same time here on the boards. Rick sent me the red alert and I'm glad my bank account was ready. You think it's bad trying to fill a specific issue in a run, try doing it with a specific comic! Anyway, Here's my #'s 4 & 5, both from the the same bound volume as the last two. Susan does great work! These issues, along with the others, had their covers cleaned and pressed. Spine was rebuilt using Japanese tissues & color touch at interior/exterior of spine. Each page was individually pressed. Fills at first wrap for structural support. Staple holes mended at centerfold. Color touch at fills. Book re-assembled using original, cleaned staples and pressed intact. I'll also include a picture of a before and after when I get to #9...

These are fantastic!

#46 is a tough one for some folks. Personally, I like the strong female protagonist. You don't see enough of them in GGA.  Here's mine. Good grade, but color is somewhat lacking.  Rick has my old copy and the color is astounding. Maybe he'll post it...

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Soft-Serve said:

My #6 is a filler issue until the restored one becomes available. Just got it from the Link, so the auction pic will have to do. I'll crack it out once it arrives. 

pla1.1349a.jpg

my 6 is arguably my favorite Planet I own. The colors are fantastic, and it is the nicest 6.5 I have ever seen. That it was the Cage copy is a bonus. Yours has to be the nicest 2.0 I have seen. Why is it only a 2.0?

PlanetComics6cgc65front_zps1d9caa90.jpg

Just now, Artboy99 said:

my 6 is arguably my favorite Planet I own. The colors are fantastic, and it is the nicest 6.5 I have ever seen. That it was the Cage copy is a bonus. Yours has to be the nicest 2.0 I have seen. Why is it only a 2.0?

Wow! Your copy is killer. It's a weird Planet, no other cover quite like it, that's for sure. Not sure why mine is 2.0, I'll find out in a few weeks when I crack it. I'm guessing the taped spine didn't help, specifically if it is sealing a split. We'll see. I'll post the liberated copy with an update. 

3 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

#46 is a tough one for some folks. Personally, I like the strong female protagonist. You don't see enough of them in GGA.  Here's mine. Good grade, but color is somewhat lacking.  Rick has my old copy and the color is astounding. Maybe he'll post it...

Looks like a reasonably high grade copy! Very similar to mine

PlanetComics46_zps35191ffc.jpg

#48 was a book I put off buying for quite some time. Not my favorite cover. Leggy in all the wrong ways. Anyway, I stumbled across this in the back of a comic shop in Milwaukee and walked out with it. It's actually a very high grade copy, and my forever issue of this number.

Edited by Soft-Serve

1 minute ago, Soft-Serve said:

#48 was a book I put off buying for quite some time. Not my favorite cover. Leggy in all the wrong ways. Anyway, I stumbled across this in the back of a comic shop in Milwaukee and walked out with it. It's actually a very high grade copy, and my forever issue of this number.

Love your 47!

Mine is a 6.5 but again I bought it as it has strong colors.

PlanetComics47CGC65_zps25d35a5c.jpg

My 48 though is one of the prides of my complete Planet Comics run. It is the highest grade golden age comic I own ( the interior cover is easily a 9.6 ) and the colors are amazing especially on the interior.

PLanetComics48front_zpsb521dd0a.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

8976acd1-68f8-489e-8625-0d93c7637a5e_zps

42 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

My 48 though is one of the prides of my complete Planet Comics run. It is the highest grade golden age comic I own ( the interior cover is easily a 9.6 ) and the colors are amazing especially on the interior.

PLanetComics48front_zpsb521dd0a.jpg

PlanetComics48doublecoverfrontA2_zps57bb

8976acd1-68f8-489e-8625-0d93c7637a5e_zps

Wow!!?!?!?!! I've never the the like. Double cover and registration error in one? Printer must have been on the sauce that night. I actually like your cover better than the one it is supposed to be. Goes better with the giant robot attack. Congrats!

Edited by Soft-Serve

1 hour ago, Soft-Serve said:

#47 was my 2nd Planet. Also an LCS find!  Really haven't found one I like better. 

Amazing black cover !