'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
20 20

3,771 posts in this topic

14,131 posts
On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎09 at 9:54 AM, Soft-Serve said:

Well, let's wrap up my collection so we can start talking about the Berk books. Here's my #67. Pretty happy with it, so glossy it's dripping, I think I'll keep it!

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Mine is similar to yours in color:

PlanetComics67raw60_zps34225f04.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
On 5/9/2017 at 3:31 PM, Artboy99 said:

FN was my threshold, but I deviated from that once I learned that many of the books in the Planet run are near impossible to find in that grade ( example # 15 ).

14 is another that I found near impossible to locate in FN or better. To this day I have only seen one copy in 6.0 or better ( currently in the Berk auction )

Once I acquired my copies of those books, it seemed to me unlikely I would ever upgrade them so I just finished my run. I have upgraded several of them over the last few years.

My favorite upgrade is my 17. From this:

MDS00073_zps9c78126c.jpg

to this:

Planet17_zps7e68f8c9.jpg

#11 was a good one to:

PlanetComics11cgc55R_zpsfb1c9ebb.jpg

Planet%20Comics%2011%20cgc%206.0_zpsu2qj

The CGC 6.0 11 is very bright yellow, great colors.

 

 

Great before and after images, Artboy! Could almost be a new thread (unless it already exists...).

And yes, you did good by those upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,219 posts

Hey Folks, quick question: 

 

Which Planets do you consider "keys"? We all know #1 is always a key, and often #2 (by virtue of scarcity). Of course, we all have our personal favorites.  If we go by this definition over at (appropriately named) planetcomic.com, most of them would be keys - at least to general GA or FH collectors. (highly debatable I know) :baiting:

"A key comic book is a comic that sought after by comic collector, investors and fans, a comic that stands out from the regular pack of comic issues, and is more desirable than other issues in that series. Since these issues are sought after by collectors/fans/investors, these issues are harder to find and are more valuable." - See more at: LINK

 As a collector focused on the title, I often find it hard separating the wheat from the chaff with this title. 

I'm know there are books we would all agree on like in terms of obviousness #1, #15, but what about the 1st appearance issues like 1-6, 9, 12-15,  21, 26, 35, 41, 43, & 71*? Do they get an automatic "key" bump? My opinion is that only the first 15 or so should get that designation by virtue of being early issues. In truth, I don't think any of the characters in Planet transcend the title. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The CGC seems to rarely lists any Planet comics 1st appearances. *if you are interested, the Planet Comics1st appearance list -  via ComicBase -  is at the end of this post

There are, of course, issues that are in higher demand than others because of the covers, and this is where I imagine we would all have our own lists with a few overlaps. I would like to get a consensus (if this hasn't already been done) of the ones we can mostly agree upon. So, here is my list of what I think - in terms of being a classic covers

 

2, 5, 8, 17, 18, 19, 33, 35, 45, 58, 59, 65, 66, 70, & 72

 

Maybe that's too many, (and I would be happy to qualify my choices in discussion) but when I look through the list of Planets, those books always seem to be in high demand, or are considered (at least to me) iconic issues. Thoughts? Let's see your lists! 

 

 

 

 

 

*PLANET COMICS FIRST APPEARANCES: 

1: 1st Appearance of Flint Baker; 1st appearance of Auro Lord of Jupiter; 1st appearance of The Red Comet; 1st appearance of Captain Nelson Cole of the Solar Force; 1st appearance of Spurt Hammond; 1st appearance of Buzz Crandall and the Space Patrol; 1st appearance of Quorak; Space Pirate

2: 1st Appearance of Planet Payson; 1st appearance of Tiger Hart

3: 1st Appearance of Amazona the Mighty Woman

4: 1st Appearance of Kenny Carr; 1st appearance of Gale Allen; 1st appearance of Jim Giant

5: 1st Appearance of Fero; 1st appearance of Space Admiral Curry

6: 1st Appearance of Don Granval; 1st appearance of Crash Barker and the Zoom Sled

9: 1st Appearance of Cosmo Corrigan

12: 1st Appearance of Norge Benson; 1st appearance of The Star Pirate

13: 1st Appearance of Reef Ryan

14: 1st Appearance of Jeff Drake

15: 1st Appearance of Mars; God of War

21: 1st Appearance of Hunt Bowman

26: 1st Appearance of Space Rangers (Reef Ryan and Flint Baker)

35: 1st Appearance of Mysta of the Moon

41: 1st Appearance of new Auro Lord of Jupiter

43: 1st Appearance of Futura (Marcia Reynolds)

71: 1st Appearance of Planetoid X

 

 

 

 

Edited by Soft-Serve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,755 posts

Good discussion @Soft-Serve

We did a top Planet covers poll a while back but when the site got switched over I cannot pull up the results. I know it is not really what you are discussing but covers have a part to play. There is nothing intrinsic about Planet 65, for instance, that makes it more valuable other than a great cover and some scarcity in high grade. I had a discussion with another boardie about this recently that collecting GA seems far more cover-centric than SA or BA hero books, where 1st appearances dominate. Why is Cindy 37 12-15X the value of Cindy 38? Obviously, scarcity is the other determining factor (Planet 15). The reason I bring all this up is your question about "keys" - 65 should not be a key but it would be my personal last Planet standing just because it is probably my favorite Atomic age cover.

All I can say is the books I want that I do not have yet are NOT KEYS and should plummet in value over the next year, only to be discovered as keys next year. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,088 posts

The PLANET library rumbles on in the GRR with issue 12 now posted in full...

0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,219 posts
2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

There is nothing intrinsic about Planet 65, for instance, that makes it more valuable other than a great cover and some scarcity in high grade. ... Why is Cindy 37 12-15X the value of Cindy 38? .... The reason I bring all this up is your question about "keys" - 65 should not be a key but it would be my personal last Planet standing just because it is probably my favorite Atomic age cover.

 

Well, I suppose this is what I'm getting at. #1's and scarce issues like #15 are always keys. As for the classic covers, and as THE community of Planet collectors, we should have an idea of which ones those are. 

What defines a "classic" Planet cover for you? Here are some of the categories of complied from other GA threads: (although some of these categories are not considered desirable, but are included because I think it is interesting)

 

Man Protagonist/Antagonist: 1-23, 28-37, 40-46, 48-51, 53-70, 72-73

Woman in Distress (needing rescue): 2, 3, 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15-19, 26, 28-32, 34-37, 41, 42, 44, 48, 52, 53, 56, 65, 70, 72

Woman Protagonist/Antagonist: 10, 24, 25, 27, 33, 38-40, 43, 46, 47, 49, 54, 58, 61-64, 67, 71

Woman in Distress (fighting back): 1,5, 14,20-23, 45, 50, 51, 55, 57, 59, 60, 66, 68, 69, 73

Red Dress: 15, 17, 18-20, 25, 30, 33, 38, 41-42, 45, 48, 51, 55, 57-59, 61, 62, 64, 68

Bondage: 3, 6, 18, 19, 26, 28, 34, 41, 46 (male), 56

Notably Weird Alien: 2, 5, 7, 11, 35, 70

Man in Distress (needing rescue): 24, 46, 51, 54, 70

Robot: 8, 41, 48, 64

Torture (implied): 34, 41

Spider: 18

 

Happy to include others or make changes, just let me know. -J

Edited by Soft-Serve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
On 5/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Soft-Serve said:

Well, I suppose this is what I'm getting at. #1's and scarce issues like #15 are always keys. As for the classic covers, and as THE community of Planet collectors, we should have an idea of which ones those are. 

What defines a "classic" Planet cover for you? Here are some of the categories of complied from other GA threads: (although some of these categories are not considered desirable, but are included because I think it is interesting)

 

Man Protagonist/Antagonist: 1-23, 28-37, 40-46, 48-51, 53-70, 72-73

Woman in Distress (needing rescue): 2, 3, 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15-19, 26, 28-32, 34-37, 41, 42, 44, 48, 52, 53, 56, 65, 70, 72

Woman Protagonist/Antagonist: 10, 24, 25, 27, 33, 38-40, 43, 46, 47, 49, 54, 58, 61-64, 67, 71

Woman in Distress (fighting back): 1,5, 14,20-23, 45, 50, 51, 55, 57, 59, 60, 66, 68, 69, 73

Red Dress: 15, 17, 18-20, 25, 30, 33, 38, 41-42, 45, 48, 51, 55, 57-59, 61, 62, 64, 68

Bondage: 3, 6, 18, 19, 26, 28, 34, 41, 46 (male), 56

Notably Weird Alien: 2, 5, 7, 11, 35, 70

Man in Distress (needing rescue): 24, 46, 51, 54, 70

Robot: 8, 41, 48, 64

Torture (implied): 34, 41

Spider: 18

 

Happy to include others or make changes, just let me know. -J

It could easily be argued that one reason for the popularity of Planet Comics is that many of the covers are so good, they're all classics. Maybe not all, but many. (The only problem I have with designating #65-70 as classics is that except for the astonishing covers, the interiors were all reprints; so yes, the covers are classics, but the books as a whole don't complete me :insane:).

Another way to define "classic" would be to include the books with covers (or interior art) by key artists: Eisner, Fine, Fletcher Hanks, Renee, Baker, Ingels, others. And of all the stories, I think Mysta of the Moon and Futura were among the better drawn and better written GGA stories, so I'd give a nod to their first appearances (#35 and #43) as classics.

In addition to the ones you listed (#2, 5, 8, 17, 18, 19, 33, 35, 45, 58, 59, 65, 66, 70, & 72), I would say that #10, 11, 12, 14, 24, 28, 36, 39, 44, 48, 52, 55, and 56 make me drool. And that's just when I'm taking my anti-drool medication!

Edited by Zolnerowich
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,522 posts
46 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

In addition to the ones you listed (#2, 5, 8, 17, 18, 19, 33, 35, 45, 58, 59, 65, 66, 70, & 72), I would say that #10, 11, 12, 14, 24, 28, 36, 39, 44, 48, 52, 55, and 56

I think that is pretty close from my personal POV. I would add #13, #21, #22, #29 and #71 - and perhaps #32, #49 and #53. Merge those and it's about half the run.  This might explain why I've never seemed to get past more than half the run in 20 years. It's almost as if there are two Planet runs of roughly 50% each. I certainly wouldnt trade the (slightly less than) half I have for the half I don't!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I think that is pretty close from my personal POV. I would add #13, #21, #22, #29 and #71 - and perhaps #32, #49 and #53. Merge those and it's about half the run.  This might explain why I've never seemed to get past more than half the run in 20 years. It's almost as if there are two Planet runs of roughly 50% each. I certainly wouldnt trade the (slightly less than) half I have for the half I don't!

Aptly put!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,912 posts
34 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This one came in today thanks to a boardie :bigsmile:

Scanner down tonight- sorry

IMG_4170.jpg

19 is a great book. :applause:

That spider looks like one mean dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
12 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This one came in today thanks to a boardie :bigsmile:

Scanner down tonight- sorry

IMG_4170.jpg

Hey, how about that Red Seal Comics lurking behind the spider?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,755 posts
2 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hey, how about that Red Seal Comics lurking behind the spider?

Posted that over in the Recent Pre-Code Purchases thread (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Posted that over in the Recent Pre-Code Purchases thread (thumbsu

So many threads, I'm always 5 threads behind...

That sig line of yours has never looked so compact! The lady in Science 2 obviously didn't make the cut. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,755 posts
20 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

So many threads, I'm always 5 threads behind...

That sig line of yours has never looked so compact! The lady in Science 2 obviously didn't make the cut. 

 

Well, I am not sure I will be able to hang onto that one. Otherwise, she would definitively make the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,087 posts
51 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I am not sure I will be able to hang onto that one. Otherwise, she would definitively make the cut.

Perhaps we'll be seeing the 9.4/Fantastic #3 in your sig line then! The price has been holding nice and steady for the last 24 hours.  B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,755 posts
40 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Perhaps we'll be seeing the 9.4/Fantastic #3 in your sig line then! The price has been holding nice and steady for the last 24 hours.  B|

:roflmao:You must have me confused with some other Ricks here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,219 posts

Hey Friends, 

 

I'm pretty excited about this next book. Those who know me best realize how important of a book this is for my Planet collection. Not-only is it an upgrade for my recently-posted Planet #1 (happily now Rick's), it is THE SPECIFIC COPY of this book I've been looking for over a year for. The 1st of twelve high-grade Planets from a bound volume, brilliantly-restored by Susan Cicconi. This book is killer to hold in-hand. PQ is amazing and the cover colors, inside and out, are among the best I've seen. Now just 7, 8, & 11! This one is a former 8.5....

 

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

 

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,210 posts

Well, there you go! :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,131 posts
28 minutes ago, Soft-Serve said:

Hey Friends, 

 

I'm pretty excited about this next book. Those who know me best realize how important of a book this is for my Planet collection. Not-only is it an upgrade for my recently-posted Planet #1 (happily now Rick's), it is THE SPECIFIC COPY of this book I've been looking for over a year for. The 1st of twelve high-grade Planets from a bound volume, brilliantly-restored by Susan Cicconi. This book is killer to hold in-hand. PQ is amazing and the cover colors, inside and out, are among the best I've seen. Now just 7, 8, & 11! This one is a former 8.5....

 

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

 

Fiction%20House%20-%20Planet%20Comics%20

Very nice, and happy you have reunited it with it's friends.

Here is my copy:

PlanetComics1front_zps611df61d.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
20 20