• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
30 30

6,231 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2017 at 9:30 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Sitting in my comic "room" and looking through Planet 57 I am just reminded once again, Planet Comics are in a league of their own :cloud9:

IMG_7049.JPG

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

On 9/3/2017 at 1:52 PM, jimjum12 said:

I was just flipping through that very issue a couple days ago...... it's from that mini run that has the Matt Baker art on Mysta...... coupled with the George Evans Lost World and that Italian guy on Futura, it just doesn't get a lot better. The 53 that Szvasica has up on the Sales Forum is from that group..... someone should treat themselves  to a real prize with that one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Hey Rick: great way to show off our beloved Planet Comics with those splash pages! A few random thoughts:

It's Ingels on the Auro story -- that demonic looking cad along the left side would be right at home in EC PCH title.

The Italian guy doing the Futura story is Enrico Bagnoli. A relatively unsung but amazing artist with brilliant pencil and ink work and a classic romantic style. His short run on Planet is chock full of lush ladies in peril.

As for Baker, dare I say (dare i?) that this was not his finest work, e.g., Mysta's face and hair in this and other panels just appears a bit warped. Seems to me that he saved his best stuff for the non-sci-fi books.

3 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hey Rick: great way to show off our beloved Planet Comics with those splash pages! A few random thoughts:

It's Ingels on the Auro story -- that demonic looking cad along the left side would be right at home in EC PCH title.

The Italian guy doing the Futura story is Enrico Bagnoli. A relatively unsung but amazing artist with brilliant pencil and ink work and a classic romantic style. His short run on Planet is chock full of lush ladies in peril.

As for Baker, dare I say (dare i?) that this was not his finest work, e.g., Mysta's face and hair in this and other panels just appears a bit warped. Seems to me that he saved his best stuff for the non-sci-fi books.

We also have to keep in mind that this was earlier Baker...... his style really evolved going into the 50's..... GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

3 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

We also have to keep in mind that this was earlier Baker...... his style really evolved going into the 50's..... GOD BLESS...

Yes, very good point Jimjum! This was a 1948 version of Baker.

15.jpg

Above:

Another fabulous Futura page by Bagnoli from Planet 57 (courtesy of Comic Book Plus):

"Miniature living sirens from Neptune" -- that's what I'm talkin' about! :)

Edited by Zolnerowich
Premature picture posting

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Haha - thanks Jay, I knew you would enjoy these (I've had them for a long while, just slabbed however). :foryou:

Yep, you must know I'm always bedazzled by Planet 2, in any grade, but your copy is just over the top. I'm glossy green (and red and blue and yellow and pink) with envy.