• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Following the Profiles Auction

71 posts in this topic

Old Witch is another nice example of his style and a nice time period. I can see why this one is being fought over as well.

Or maybe they had a list of phone bidders for specific pieces they were supposed to contact, like Heritage does, and they missed someone.

Given how long they waited until they called it originally I'd have thought they started calling random people to see if they were interested.

Or they couldn't get someone on the phone, yeah. It sounded to me like there was someone specific they were trying to reach and couldn't.

I always wondered how that works. Does somebody tell the auction house ahead of time to call them when the auction starts as they are interested ? You would think the bidder would simply make them-self available if they care to bid in the first place

Or maybe they had a list of phone bidders for specific pieces they were supposed to contact, like Heritage does, and they missed someone.

Given how long they waited until they called it originally I'd have thought they started calling random people to see if they were interested.

Or they couldn't get someone on the phone, yeah. It sounded to me like there was someone specific they were trying to reach and couldn't.

I always wondered how that works. Does somebody tell the auction house ahead of time to call them when the auction starts as they are interested ? You would think the bidder would simply make them-self available if they care to bid in the first place

Auction houses will take note of specific items that known bidders want to be contacted regarding. That becomes a key service when you've got 500-600 lots going and 8 hours of bidding. This is a smaller number of lots so it's hard to tell if that's what's going on here.

Auction houses will take note of specific items that known bidders want to be contacted regarding. That becomes a key service when you've got 500-600 lots going and 8 hours of bidding. This is a smaller number of lots so it's hard to tell if that's what's going on here.

Yes and Yes

Makes sense on a larger auction event with many lots but that is not the case today

Nothing against Profiles in History personally, but the optics are weird

Again, I have never run an auction so I cant imagine how complicated it is to get buyers and sellers to interact on a given day. I imagine it is a complicated endeavor.

Still...the optics suck in a day and age where everything is suspect

Lot 42 now being reopened and sold for 40k

Seems weird to me

But what do i know about running an auction ?

Makes sense to me when there are no bids.

They could offer it, post auction, for the same opening bid and do a direct sale, but I think this preserves their duty to the consignor. They reopen, take the opening bid, and fulfill their due diligence to the consignor by selling it openly.

Several auctions I've bid in over the years have reopened lots. Usually it's the one previous lot, but I can see the reasoning here.

Intermission ?

OMG

There are hardly any lots in the first place

Guess I will go outside and mow the lawn for a bit

What a way to run an auction

Very strange

Makes the optics of the earlier lot re-openings seem even more believable now

Kinda amateurish the way today has appeared to me today

I am spoiled by Heritage I guess

Oh well

I counted seven Wrightson lots in the Darabont auction which didn't sell. I believe I saw at least two which were passed on and then sold for the opening bids when they were re-opened, including Frank. plate. Most of the lots I was interested in or at least following sold for the opening bid.

Interesting results.

As I mentioned in another thread, being in LA County and being unable to make the auction, I was looking at approximately 40% juice in fees and taxes!! 28% BP and 10% sales tax. That kept me from bidding on a number of pieces I would have gladly purchased at the opening bid price.

As I mentioned in another thread, being in LA County and being unable to make the auction, I was looking at approximately 40% juice in fees and taxes!! 28% BP and 10% sales tax. That kept me from bidding on a number of pieces I would have gladly purchased at the opening bid price.

And it's funny how you only see the bid price.. At least heritage shows the bid price + bp..

And it's funny how you only see the bid price.. At least heritage shows the bid price + bp..

If I'm not mistaken it shows the buyers premium right below the bid button.

Lot 23: Don Heck cover art for The Avengers #39 coming up seems like a low estimate at 1-2k

That's a 25k piece minimum

for a 95% stat??

Yikes. Didnt realize that.

I know the actual cover exists.

I assumed it wasnt a stat version

I have seen the actual cover on the market

Assumed this was one and the same

Gotta read descriptions I guess doh!

Lot 23: Don Heck cover art for The Avengers #39 coming up seems like a low estimate at 1-2k

for a 95% stat??

I assumed it wasnt the stat version

Glad someone said that. I was getting an itchy finger over the bid button on that one.

If I'm not mistaken it shows the buyers premium right below the bid button.

I'm not seeing that at all. Just the raw bid amount.

for a 95% stat??

I assumed it wasnt the stat version

Glad someone said that. I was getting an itchy finger over the bid button on that one.

It's in the description too.