• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men 1 CGC 9.0 at $46,995 a wise long term investment?

206 posts in this topic

at this point I'm inclined to refer you to the Gator buying comics 101 seminar coming to a comic con near you

I could never get into Love and Rockets. Now Mr. X was great!

it gets better. Once he drops the Mechanic stories (though I like those very much) and focuses on Hoppers it's pretty solid.

Here is a CGC 6.0 for sale. Gator another member here has a few as well for sale I believe.

Link:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1134947

Please stop hyping AF15 at every chance you get.

at this point I'm inclined to refer you to the Gator buying comics 101 seminar coming to a comic con near you

I could never get into Love and Rockets. Now Mr. X was great!

it gets better. Once he drops the Mechanic stories (though I like those very much) and focuses on Hoppers it's pretty solid.

I guess I gotta try again. Tell me the first book to start with it that I can get in a trade edition and I'll give it a whirl.

Seriously, I just never understood the appeal of the Handez Brothers. But it must be good, been around a long time.

I appreciate the link Gotham Kid. It's getting late and I want to read it with fresh eyes. I own a house outright in Southern California and have stocks, retirement etc. So, there is that.

IT seems that the thread is about going to a GA book. Like I said I will read tomorrow.

That is an entire new bag of chips and I'm getting a headache.

My quick 2 cents is unless you're wedded to the idea of just one mega-book, buy five books at 10,000 a piece. Lower risk probably also leads to lower reward, but in addition to diversification of risk you'll also have advantage of (probably) better liquidity.

Also try your best to avoid what's hottest (heart rules over mind, frequently).

I have 600 copies of Brigade #1 Gold. That's 12% if the entire reported print run. AND it's embossed! Why waste your money on an X-Men #1, which MIGHT go to $60k in 20 years? If they make a Brigade movie, like they're rumored to, you'll be sitting pretty. Those books could be worth like $1,000 each, and you'll control the market. I'll sell them ALL for the bargain basement price of $50,000. Done.

I appreciate the link Gotham Kid. It's getting late and I want to read it with fresh eyes. I own a house outright in Southern California and have stocks, retirement etc. So, there is that.

IT seems that the thread is about going to a GA book. Like I said I will read tomorrow.

That is an entire new bag of chips and I'm getting a headache.

Besides some GA (and even a SA) recommendations, it's more the advice posted that should be considered.

I bought my AF15 in mid grade CGC 5.5 early 2000 for $5k. It's been a good "investment" but looking back I should have bought the 8.0 copy :) I think prices now are high?

This thread, my head is spinning, and I usually save my drogue usage for the weekend!

Seriously though, if you're going to throw that much money at a comic, make sure it's something you love. If the market fluctuates (and it will) you don't want to get stuck with something you bought out of pure investment. Get a book you really want.

As for X-Men 1, it's most likely not as good of an investment as an AF15, but if you don't love AF15, why buy one? I myself have sold my extremely low grade AF15, and I'm getting a slightly higher grade X-Men 1, because I love the X-Men, and I don't really love Spidey. If AF15 continues its meteoric rise, I may occasionally regret not having held onto it, but I will more likely than not look upon my X-Men 1 and think "Wow, I finally got that book I wanted so much when I was a kid. I love it."

Comics can be an investment, but they are mostly a collectible. Don't spend more than you can afford to lose and buy what you love, and you'll likely never regret the decision.

I guess this post is in the wrong forum: sorry.

I know I have a low post count: sorry.

I guess "Is this a good investment questions" are, I don't know, rude?: sorry

Whatever, I can take the ribbing. Try being a noob on the Butthole Surfers forum.

you're alright. it's the other poster. Like I said, look into an Amazing Fantasy 15

But buy it before Spidey joins The Avengers or it will sky rocket into outer space!

And figure out the census before you drop 50K on a comic doh!

I gonna. I'll subscribe to the CGC census thing. Like said, the freebie Hulk census I did was confusing

Are you talking about the Census or GPA? The Census is free and not confusing, GPA costs money and has lots of data.

For the CGC census you can just go to mycomicshop and look at it without signing up for anything.

The people in this thread telling the OP to buy AF 15 or Hulk 1 remind me of stock brokers telling clients to buy blue chips stocks, "Enron is a money maker! it will never go down." Both of those comics sell at a premium to action comics #1 if you adjust for circulation and median condition. It could mean nothing or it could be a sign on a speculation bubble. X-men #1 also sells at a premium to the big guy Action Comics #1.

Looking at trends on GPA a lot of key issues have seen significant price increases the past few years. I think its a result of the convention scene taking off with the rise of MCU. I think nerd culture and conventions are probably here to stay, TV shows and movies with comic characters will continue to be popular. Future demand for key comics is probably a safe bet, although maybe there is a generational shift among millennials about collecting in general that will negatively effect demand in the future.

But anyway back on topic and to your original question OP. I dont think X-Men #1 is good as an "investment." It will probably hold its value but there are other ways to invest $50,000 that will see greater return. It might bring great satisfaction as a collectible, your own nostalgic piece of childhood and Americana. Throw it up on the wall in the man cave and have your buddies all jealously ogle it, but you could probably get that with any copy of X-men #1 in fine or better condition.

Just my 2c , I am almost certainly wrong about everything

Everybody relax. This is what just happened:

My mother in law died. Left my wife some money. My wife said she's getting a horse and I could get a comic. 50k worth

This is a real account and my OP was a real question. I have trouble sometimes with comics as I tend to miss key issues by one issue, like I bought Werewolf By Night 31 and Batman Adventures 11

No more comics we want to go back to ladies night and bobbies!! And some tasty chicken wings for our dirty little fingers!!

Seriously, are you GIJOEISAWESOME?

That's an insult to GiJoeisawesome. He was pretty respectful other than his scam.