• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,138 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, wombat said:

I let go of my 7.0-8.0 under-copies a bit to early in past Halloween Harvest sales :pullhair:  :foryou: but know they went to loving homes.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, bounty_coder said:

@Stevemmg & @manetteska

It's important to really think about this objectively.  I don't think that CGC specifically grades Magazines Looser.  I think there are variables at play which don't make it apples to apples when comparing to comic books.

For example; none of us really know what the "CGC Grading Algorithm is".  But there is some framework there that they follow.  I don't think though that it's  just simply "grading magazines looser".

My theory is the following. 

• CGC has part of their formula based on size of medium being graded. 
  • For example a standard comic is approximately 432 cm2 (length x width). 
  • A standard comic magazine is approximately 575 cm2.  This is roughly 25% larger in size.

I do think that CGC may scale their defect accumulation to a degree.  This could theoretically allow for what may feel like 25% more defects.  Or more prominent due to their measured size.

So in a case where 4 Spine ticks can be seen on a 9.4 Standard Comic book, this may be allowed in a 9.6 Comic Magazine due to a scale (if this exists).

Further Comic Magazines were MUCH MORE susceptible to bindery tears which sometimes can make books look garbage.  These are often allowed without punishment as I've seen them on 9.6-9.8 Magazines before.  

- bounty

You're correct...

16 minutes ago, wombat said:

So guesses on where this low grade Vamp 1 goes. A year ago I would have been pretty confident. These days? Who knows. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vampirella-1-Magazine-Sep-1969-Horror-Warren-Comic-/254315728483?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I say $150. 

Looks like a $50 book to me but I’m sure that’ll be low.