• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,138 posts in this topic

Hello Gentlmen and (Ladies where applicable) Welcome to the new Magazine thread to keep some tracking of Record Magazine prices being paid!

news.gif

This is the spot, to post a writeup and a link if possible to some Very High Prices being paid for our favorite magazines. This should help keep a record for our members here how well some of these books are actually doing in the Marketplace.

Here Is one that I just came across to birth this thread into infancy.

Tales of the Zombie #1 NM- 9.2 Marvel 1973 --- $90.00

WOW! You obviously had 2 buyers that wanted this book enough to chase it hard. I think that this is common with higher grade books, where people have been looking to get a VF/NM or better copy of books for years and keep on stumbling upon Capped VF issues. When a true HG book shows up, they account the variable of time and how long it may take them to find another into their bidding and then you have a new type of demand. Will be interesting to follow.

-bounty

Came Across 2 others. What is intriguing about this one is that 5 bidders were there to hold up the prices of these down to $41 I'm seeing some good things here with Raw books!

Weird Tales of the Macabre #1 NM+ 9.6 Seaboard 1975 -- $76

Weird Tales of the Macabre #2 NM+ 9.6 Seaboard 1975 -- $76

-bounty

Divad'd Vampirella # 1 CGC 8.0 sale was interesting also...

Vampirella #1

Uh yeah...good call 893whatthe.gif

$666.66 for VF 8.0...That is One Solid Price

In about a month I will attempt to sell a Warren 1969 Original Vampirella #1 VF/NM 9.0 with a Buy-It-Now of Cover Price!...The trick is that I will list the auction as something VERY Random such as...

Millie Vanillie Compact Disc - Used yay.gif

lol! Try and find it!

-bounty

J&S had a ton of allegedly high grade 60s and 70s magazines up... that was magazine central a week or so ago. i got outbid on nearly everything at the last minute, although some stuff was too rich for my blood by the time i saw it.

i nailed one of these non-warren/marvel magazines in alleged high grade. we'll see what it looks like in person.

anyway, i think those seawald books in high grade (and even nice grade) show up infrequently enough that you can, in fact, put aside your guide when they do.

granted, not in a slab, but $50-$100 for a sharp copy of these doesn't seem such huge money when that's the cost of many a mid-grade marvel comic from the 60s that are far far more common.

...anyway, i think those seawald books in high grade .....

"Seawald"??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yeah, wasn't that the company that formed when Skywald and Seaboard merged! 27_laughing.gif

Just kidding, Blob! The opportunity was there and I couldn't resist! grin.gif

flowerred.gif

...anyway, i think those seawald books in high grade .....

"Seawald"??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yeah, wasn't that the company that formed when Skywald and Seaboard merged! 27_laughing.gif

Just kidding, Blob! The opportunity was there and I couldn't resist! grin.gif

flowerred.gif

hail.gif Hail to the Connoisseur laugh.gif That was witty insane.gif

Just dropped this one in the thread below, but it deserves attention here:

Nightmare mag. #20, Ist pro John Byrne art, 8/74 VF 8.0 -- $68.67

-bounty

seawald is the collective term for those two companies

anyway, magazines with great covers make perfect sense the way things are collected now

Exactly. CGC is all about showcasing books. I think that we will see a LARGE inflow of new CGC collectors into this space in the very near future. The painted covers on Magazines is what I always loved about them, and makes them perfect for the CGC type investor/collector/enthusiast as a showpeice even more so then Comic Books. The more mature and quirky stories are just an added bonus imho.

-bounty

Wondering if magazines are gonna' be the next hot item in comic collecting. This could just be the tip of the iceberg we're seeing now.

Well I do not think that you need to go very far to determine this. Magazine prices have already doubled to tripled in many instances over the last 5 years. And this was caused mainly from Magazine Collectors of course with a small inflow of new collectors most likely from the comic world. Once the majority of the Comic world starts to respect magazines for what they are. Awesome peices of literature and art that I feel surpase comics in many ways, then you will have a real feeding ground.

One of the large collectibility charms that Comic Magazines carry is the fact that they were RARELY stored or collected like comics. Many were stored stacked in piles in boxes. That box would be moved in and out from under beds, closets etc, and cause much of the corner blunting that you will see. In addition most were tied in bundles I believe and sustained a lot of damage from that type of delivery.

None the less, if you are a magazine fan, I think that your cherished collection will start to see that appreciation that it finally deserves, in pretty great magnitudes over the next few years!

-bounty

Although I just recently got into magazines, the prices are (for the most part) rock bottom. It is a rare genre where a person can still get in on the ground floor in HG collecting without breaking the bank. In my opinion, mags are almost universally undervalued and the potential for dramatic future value increases is huge. Take a classic Frazetta cover from an early Creepy or Eerie issue. You can find them in 9.0 or better for well under $100 each. Show me a comic from the same era (pre BA) with a cover that cool that can be had for such a reasonable price. Pre-1970 mags are going to become my new collecting focus. You get tremendous bang for the buck.

Vampirella #1

-bounty

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

You guys got me started in mags! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gifI'm already jonesin' for another Vampi #1 gossip.gif

Vampirella #1

-bounty

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

You guys got me started in mags! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gifI'm already jonesin' for another Vampi #1 gossip.gif

...Great screwy.gif

HAHA! Just mess'n with you Divad cool.gif

Any Thoughts on This One Gang... Deal? thumbsup2.gif or Overpriced? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Eerie #2 CGC 9.8 Frazetta Cover Highest Grade in Census

Hey Mr. Bell how is it going. I had seen that book as well the day it was listed. Too far out of my range though. Here are my thoughts...

First off, it looks to be a deal...but with a caveat

On the Deal side, here are your supporting facts... Doug Sulipa Says:

NM/MT (9.8) = NEAR MINT to MINT; Only about (1 in 100) to (1 in 1000)

Extremely Carefully Hand-Picked with still NEW items can attain this Lofty essentially Flawless Grade! [current market value of a CGC graded 9.8 NM/MT copy, is about 10-25 Times Guide NM price! ]

The Latest Overstreet guide with 9.2 NM- now as the basis, Eerie #2 is valued at $125

That gives this book a range of $1250-$3150

You bought it for the 66% percentile of that range. Which Isn't too bad. This is a key book, and at that a TOUGH book to get in HG. It has a black cover. In addition out of 33 copies graded there are only 3 above 9.2. One at 9.4, 9.6 and your 9.8 respectively. I think that it says a lot.

Now when you say "deal" what does that mean exactly? Does that mean, do we think that you will be able to flip it for a higher price? Or does that mean is that a price that you are willing to pay and cherish as a permanent peice in your collection?

I would say if your looking for a flip then it was not a good deal, for finding another buyer immediatly may be tough (except for maybe a jhalpe). If your talking about keeping this book in your collection, then I think that over the next 5 years it could appreciate into a $5,000 copy where at that point, as more core comic collectors/investors also get into the Magazine space it would justify it as a "good deal" on the sell side. I think that if you have the patience with the book then it was a great buy...barring that no other 9.8's are hiding...awaiting submittal. crazy.gif

I'll tell you what though...I wish I had it! So nice grab thumbsup2.gif

-bounty