• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

I did see a Gothic Romances #1 at 9.6 go for well over a grand-and yes-I did think it was worth it

That was a sweeeeet book. Rare as hen's teeth. I wouldn't mind owning one myself if I could ever find one. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure if there is any interior art in that Gothic Romances... confused-smiley-013.gif if that matters to you.

I believe it was just filled with stories. But none-the-less it didnt have a sweet cover. Was in a Neal Adams cover? I dont recall.

-bounty

It's an Adams cover. I think there is some interior art, but not in panels. Just illustrations to go along with stories in prose. I have never seen a copy in person. I think Awe4one has a copy....

Correct...the magazine is stories with accompanying illustrations. Rarest of all Atlas/Seaboard publications from what I gather...

Jim

Correct...the magazine is stories with accompanying illustrations. Rarest of all Atlas/Seaboard publications from what I gather...

Jim

What kind of shape is yours in? Is that the only one you have seen?

Jim

It's a VG/FN. I've seen two first hand and another three on eBay in a decade. Of the two I've seen in person, I own one and the other, I'd say a VF/NM copy, was the comic shop owner's personal copy.

I paid $30 for my copy...

Jim

Jim

It's a VG/FN. I've seen two first hand and another three on eBay in a decade. Of the two I've seen in person, I own one and the other, I'd say a VF/NM copy, was the comic shop owner's personal copy.

I paid $30 for my copy...

Jim

$30! Nice pickup. I would love a copy, but it looks like this issue will be languishing on my wantlist for quite some time to come.

$30! Nice pickup. I would love a copy, but it looks like this issue will be languishing on my wantlist for quite some time to come.

Here's a hint...I'd regularly look at the gothic books section on eBay for the mag. Since it not a classic comic, sellers will be more apt to post an auction there, usually buried in a lot of books, than the comics section.

But be aware...there are a couple of us that know this trick. One buyer, whose eBay name escapes me right now, has won two of these that way.

Jim

Here's a hint...I'd regularly look at the gothic books section on eBay for the mag. Since it not a classic comic, sellers will be more apt to post an auction there, usually buried in a lot of books, than the comics section.

But be aware...there are a couple of us that know this trick. One buyer, whose eBay name escapes me right now, has won two of these that way.

Jim

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif I will do that. How much do they usually go for? The only sale I have seen is the 1,000+.

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif I will do that. How much do they usually go for? The only sale I have seen is the 1,000+.

One went for around $110 and another, a very VERY nice looking copy advertised by the seller as unread, went for $250...but these sales are almost two years old now and I haven't been as diligent in searching for one in awhile.

Jim

One went for around $110 and another, a very VERY nice looking copy advertised by the seller as unread, went for $250...but these sales are almost two years old now and I haven't been as diligent in searching for one in awhile.

Jim

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Chris, allow me to let you in on a little "in-joke" here in the mag threads. gossip.gif

"Seawald" is a joke publisher name that someone (who shall remain nameless... & shapeless grin.gif) came up with by accidentally combining Skywald & Seaboard together in a post. We try not to let him live it down by bringing it up every once in awhile. wink.gif

If I really "had them" I'd certainly PM you, as your reputation for laying out good money for good stuff precedes you... thumbsup2.gif

Hey Chris, allow me to let you in on a little "in-joke" here in the mag threads. gossip.gif

"Seawald" is a joke publisher name that someone (who shall remain nameless... & shapeless grin.gif) came up with by accidentally combining Skywald & Seaboard together in a post. We try not to let him live it down by bringing it up every once in awhile. wink.gif

If I really "had them" I'd certainly PM you, as your reputation for laying out good money for good stuff precedes you... thumbsup2.gif

Finely stated like the Connoisseur you are Precode...

Hey by the way PM if you have an extra copy of Kelp Romances #1, Devilrayina #2 or Tales of the Mackinaw #2 from that oh so elusive Seawald collection. gossip.gif

boun yay.gify

Edited by bounty_coder

Yes, jumped the gun as I do remember the joking comments on Seawald banged around a wee bit. insane.gif I knew you were joking but you never know who is holding what. confused-smiley-013.gif Keep me posted on anything of interest. thumbsup2.gif

I did see a Gothic Romances #1 at 9.6 go for well over a grand-and yes-I did think it was worth it

That was a sweeeeet book. Rare as hen's teeth. I wouldn't mind owning one myself if I could ever find one. confused-smiley-013.gif

How many friggin copies of this mag does this guy need? Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the high bidder here the one who paid more than a grand for the 9.6? I bid a half dozen times even though I knew I didn't have a prayer of beating him. mad.gifmad.gif I hate this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6546782905&category=3971&rd=1

Talk about some serious carnage on the Raw magazine front. Holly [embarrassing lack of self control]. How much would an actual CGC Graded 9.8 WTOTM go for??!?!!....$1,000?

Monsters of the Movies #2...$128??!?!..Raw?...Marvel's Satire Mag Crazy #2 & #3 in NM- 9.2 Raw for $61? Hey I'll give them this...they have sweet Ploog art.

Are there other collectors besides ast11 and jhalpe realizing that Magazines in High Grades are not the easiest to come by? It is getting interesting as more and more collectors start to get into the magazine arena. I see new faces on eBay buying these books every month. If this keeps on at the rate that it is, not even some of the supplies that I have seen with these books will be able to keep the prices at reasonable levels. I'm already getting priced out of many of the books that I have been buying over the last 6 years. I've seen a dramatic shift in Magazine prices over the last 1.5 years mainly with CGC prices being realized, but now within the last 5 months raw magazines have started to reach CGC levels....and that is because many of the mags being bought as NM or NM+/NM/MT currently only have a highest census of 9.2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Item# Sale Date Price Magazine

6581053588 Nov-20-05 $316.00 WEIRD TALES OF THE MACABRE #1 NEAR MINT / MINT 1975

6580899696 Nov-19-05 $128.49 MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES #2 NEAR MINT / MINT 1974

6580901064 Nov-19-05 $128.49 PLANET OF THE APES #1 NEAR MINT / MINT 1974 PLOOG ART

6580892986 Nov-19-05 $61.00 CRAZY MAGAZINE #2 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580893146 Nov-19-05 $61.00 CRAZY MAGAZINE #3 NEAR MINT 1974

6580896707 Nov-19-05 $57.00 HAUNT OF HORROR #1 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580893298 Nov-19-05 $51.00 CRAZY MAGAZINE #4 NEAR MINT- 1974 PLOOG ART

6580896201 Nov-19-05 $46.00 DRACULA LIVES #6 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580896413 Nov-19-05 $46.00 DRACULA LIVES #7 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580896905 Nov-19-05 $46.00 HAUNT OF HORROR #2 NEAR MINT 1974

6580897114 Nov-19-05 $46.00 HAUNT OF HORROR #3 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580900077 Nov-19-05 $46.00 MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES #4 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580900408 Nov-19-05 $46.00 MONSTERS UNLEASHED #5 NEAR MINT- 1974

6580900590 Nov-19-05 $46.00 MONSTERS UNLEASHED #6 NEAR MINT- 1974 PLOOG ART

6580900717 Nov-19-05 $46.00 MONSTERS UNLEASHED #7 NEAR MINT- 1974