• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

We will not go into the hijinx that Heritage and a few other auction companies get up to on a regular basis.  Let's just say that things are not exactly as they seem and occasionally, the house decides they want something for the purposes of reselling in the next auction and are active bidders as well.  And they can see everyone's bids.  When I was still bidding on Heritage stuff, I had the unpleasant experience of having my bids maxed out many, many times...

With this said...this has been my observation. If I set and let a bid... it ALMOST ALWAYS gets met or exceeded irregardless of platform. Heritage or ComicLink. Now with that said that doesn't mean the house is being shady. But I do believe that people get competitive and inch that needle up and up and up looking for the threshold. 

When I "snipe" meaning wait around for the auction to tick tock...Then strike with full payload I find some times I'm getting books for 10-40% below my Max... :preach:

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

With this said...this has been my observation. If I set and let a bid... it ALMOST ALWAYS gets met or exceeded irregardless of platform. Heritage or ComicLink. Now with that said that doesn't mean the house is being shady. But I do believe that people get competitive and inch that needle up and up and up looking for the threshold. 

When I "snipe" meaning wait around for the auction to tick tock...Then strike with full payload I find some times I'm getting books for 10-40% below my Max... :preach:

I'm sure there's some of that.  But I'm talking about putting in strong close out bids and almost every time, the got maxed but not exceeded.  Same thing happened with another smaller auction site that was well known for his misdeeds.  The other thing you'll see is items that are going cheap, you'll snipe them at the end, and get outbid somehow.  And then two weeks later, the same items are for sale again.  Must have been dozens of lots like that, just kept showing up over and over but looking like they got sold each time.

I don't believe any of these guys will take up ethical behavior until it starts hurting their bottom line.  So, I no longer bid at Heritage or Comiclink.  The one big auction house I haven't ever had that happen (and I've gotten some very good deals) is ComicConnect.  So I give them my business now.  I know some have their issues with Metropolis and their grading, etc.  But I've always just accepted that is how they grade and bid accordingly.  2c

23 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

We will not go into the hijinx that Heritage and a few other auction companies get up to on a regular basis.  Let's just say that things are not exactly as they seem and occasionally, the house decides they want something for the purposes of reselling in the next auction and are active bidders as well.  And they can see everyone's bids.  When I was still bidding on Heritage stuff, I had the unpleasant experience of having my bids maxed out many, many times...

Hmmmmm.....  hm

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I'm sure there's some of that.  But I'm talking about putting in strong close out bids and almost every time, the got maxed but not exceeded.  Same thing happened with another smaller auction site that was well known for his misdeeds.  The other thing you'll see is items that are going cheap, you'll snipe them at the end, and get outbid somehow.  And then two weeks later, the same items are for sale again.  Must have been dozens of lots like that, just kept showing up over and over but looking like they got sold each time.

I don't believe any of these guys will take up ethical behavior until it starts hurting their bottom line.  So, I no longer bid at Heritage or Comiclink.  The one big auction house I haven't ever had that happen (and I've gotten some very good deals) is ComicConnect.  So I give them my business now.  I know some have their issues with Metropolis and their grading, etc.  But I've always just accepted that is how they grade and bid accordingly.  2c

Methinks the rot hath set in...

9 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

This one slipped past me but it's worth documenting.  Not sure, but I think the whole mycomicshop under grading phenomena doesn't apply to CGC books... :insane:

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 11.50.20 PM.png

My sense of it is that the White Mountain pedigree drove up the price of this copy. An attractive 9.0...

On 8/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, bounty_coder said:

Some real solid hammers on these raw Eerie Publications. 

0C0DC1AE-0CDE-4B34-BDE2-07A8B61485D2.jpeg.20fed8a78edae103584cc560fdd64c34.jpeg

2CC5FF9E-F8B0-4154-8F0C-627DAA2A58B3.jpeg.ab4429296774e3a94bd0a646d34e5b43.jpeg479380C0-F9DF-4893-A4D4-2857B8F29C07.jpeg.96a22606f26c62a0a33bebfde16f21ef.jpeg

59621736-956C-48C3-BDC1-E698E7BDB207.thumb.jpeg.93849ce9289083ee3ce3252384610ad7.jpeg

Let's hope that isn't reflected in your October sales thread this year :baiting: lol
But really I would have to guess we're seeing these high VF prices because people are frustrated they just can't find nicer copies.  Maybe some of the people who spend more time browsing in the mags forum can speculate but my guess is the VF/NM or better ones just don't get circulated among collectors anymore, they seem to be stashed away in collections and never brought up for sale.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, 90sChild said:

Let's hope that isn't reflected in your October sales thread this year :baiting: lol
But really I would have to guess we're seeing these high VF prices because people are frustrated they just can't find nicer copies.  Maybe some of the people who spend more time browsing in the mags forum can speculate but my guess is the VF/NM or better ones just don't get circulated among collectors anymore, they seem to be stashed away in collections and never brought up for sale.

For the most part...