• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,138 posts in this topic

Comicworm, Welcome to the boards!

That is a bold undertaking with your quest for 9.4s! thumbsup2.gif ($$$ wise anyway)

What titles are you going after and have you found 9.4s that much better than 9.2s for the money? Just curious...

Hello there and thanks for the questions....

yes-I have found the market to be strong and really see no so called "crash" in sight-now onto your questions.

I have seen a slight difference in 9.2 to 9.4s (I am talking CGC graded comics of course) is it worth paying the premiums that exist on certain issues? That is up to the buyer-I do think in the long run it is!

One thing that I believe is only on some issues there is a premium for a 9.4-not on all-Tomb of Dracula #1 in CGC 9.4 at $350 is a steal in my opinion-its listed at guide in 9.2 at $220!

I mostly collect slabbed horror BRONZE age and mid silver comics-I like verything from horror to off the wall super hero

Spiderman is okay as are the X-Men, but they are not my favorite-I actually see them as over valued right now, where as an issue like The Cat #1 CGC 9.4 iws undervalued, if you understand my logic and reasoning

this thinking seems to work best for me

I do however, love Batman and think those comics in high guide are somewhat reasonable, but are heading up because of Batman Begins...

I have seen a slight difference in 9.2 to 9.4s (I am talking CGC graded comics of course) is it worth paying the premiums that exist on certain issues? That is up to the buyer-I do think in the long run it is!

One thing that I believe is only on some issues there is a premium for a 9.4-not on all-Tomb of Dracula #1 in CGC 9.4 at $350 is a steal in my opinion-its listed at guide in 9.2 at $220!

True enough only certain issues @ 9.4 demand a premium and that is why I am surprised at some of the less common 8.5/9.0 issues are going over the $100 dollar mark. I try sometimes to not let the price deter me but $350 for a CGC 9.4 ToD # 1 is just too much for me! frown.gif I still have better luck buying RAW from certain reputable dealers and off ebay if there is a nice sized scan and description as I am becoming more confident in my grading skills. Not that I'm against buying slabs if the price is righ IMHO. As I have stated a few messages above I got a Vampi # 6 9.2, but she will be released from her prison as soon as I receive her! cloud9.gif

Budget-minded me... tongue.gif

yes-but how much is a true NM raw TOD #1?

$300?

$250?

I think you would be better off going for the slabbed issue-then when you decide to sell you can at least recoupe most of your money-if not make a profit-

I consider TOD #1 in 9.4 to be heavily undervalued-think about it-what other comic can you get $350 in 9.4 that help spawn Blade which spawned three Blade movies and also featured the first appearance of Dracula in Marvel comics?

Not to mention it ran for 70 great issues...

yes-but how much is a true NM raw TOD #1?

$300?

$250?

I think you would be better off going for the slabbed issue-then when you decide to sell you can at least recoupe most of your money-if not make a profit-

I consider TOD #1 in 9.4 to be heavily undervalued-think about it-what other comic can you get $350 in 9.4 that help spawn Blade which spawned three Blade movies and also featured the first appearance of Dracula in Marvel comics?

Not to mention it ran for 70 great issues...

Whoops, my bad!

I was thinking you were refering to the "Dracula Lives" mag as this is a Magazine thread. My mind was focused on mags! foreheadslap.gif

Now that I see clearly, yes of course for the comic ToD # 1 @ $350 is a good price!

my question is --- is it worth slabbing stuff from eerie like tales from the tomb, etc. in 8.0 - 8.5 from like 1972 (volume 4 or whatever)...

doesn't seem to make sense for a lot of the warren magazines in 8.0 - 8.5 unless they're keys/frazettas

$25 bucks to slab a book that guides for about $25 bucks....

is there a premium that people will pay? especially after I actually spent some money on the book. i figure i need to to be sellable for at least 200% of VF guide to make much sense for me

mind you...I'm not strictly thinking about profiteering, but I like to know if i spend $25 for plastic I could, if I decided to, sell the magazine for a certain price

i'm torn on some of my older (40's - early 70s) high grade material. if i keep it i worry that i will mess it up and it won't be nice anymore.

I can only answer for me -

I would only buy a 9.4 on up mag from the early 70's

thats me personally-

right now I am trying to find Vampire Tales #1, Dracula Lives #1, and Rampaging Hulk #1

just my opinion-but I will say that I have seen a Creepy #1 in 9.2 sell for $199-I thought that was a good deal for both the buyer and seller

comicworm -- by only going 9.4 or better, you're may be limiting yourself to a market that consists of 2 or 3 copies when you're looking at magazines published by the non-Warren or Marvel publishers. For Warren or Marvel, a 9.4 threshhold is more doable. But for the others, if the 9.4+ slabs go into long-term collections, you're S.O.L.

anyway, I may be unduly harsh on some of my books, especially in the high grades. maybe those 8.5s are 9.2s or 9.4s. heck, I sold a VG comic to some guy and his feedback made it sound like it was a NM copy.

in my mind, an 8.5 is a superb copy with maybe some slight wear at the spine corners and maybe a small slight stress line or two.

other than it potentially costing $1200+ if they pass the threshhold, I'm tempted to pick my 50 best magazines and do a 9.4 pre-screen.

the question is whether when a generic copy of creepy 52 or savage sword 26 comes back a 9.4, can I make my money back if I need to?

my question is --- is it worth slabbing stuff from eerie like tales from the tomb, etc. in 8.0 - 8.5 from like 1972 (volume 4 or whatever)...

doesn't seem to make sense for a lot of the warren magazines in 8.0 - 8.5 unless they're keys/frazettas

$25 bucks to slab a book that guides for about $25 bucks....

is there a premium that people will pay? especially after I actually spent some money on the book. i figure i need to to be sellable for at least 200% of VF guide to make much sense for me

Well here is the deal. If you recall my analysis on the Eerie Pub situation (on the prior page, with chart), getting these books in VF/NM 8.5/9.0 is basically the equivalent of getting a Warren book in NM 9.4 from the same time period. I'll tell you something. With that in mind I would say that if you have Eerie Pub's that are VF/NM then those are slabable candidates if your looking for a high percentile grade for that type of book. And that they should go for 6-5 times their VF/NM guide price. I say this because when you look at CGC 9.4 warrens this is about what they do. And For the few Eerie Pubs that I have seen in VF/NM 9.0 slabbed they have gone for 6-10 times guide (example Guide value on a VF/NM at $30 but selling for $220 slabbed as VF/NM 9.0). Guide simply cannot "guide" on the value of most VF and higher Eerie Pub books. Showing thier true price/scarcity. What would 9.4 and 9.6 of some of these books bring? How about a Eerie Pub 1970 9.6? For those are just about impossible to get in that grade.

I think your right. Most Warren books in the 8.0/8.5 range I would recommend not slabbing. Unless issues like Creepy 1, 2, 32, 146. Eerie 2, 17. Vampirella 1, 113 (with a few others). For they are definitely a lot more common in this grade.

The more and more I look at CGC mags, they are tougher to get in NM 9.4 than I had initially thought. I finally started to purchase some to get a sense of feel in my hand.

-bounty

thats me personally-

right now I am trying to find Vampire Tales #1, Dracula Lives #1, and Rampaging Hulk #1

just my opinion-but I will say that I have seen a Creepy #1 in 9.2 sell for $199-I thought that was a good deal for both the buyer and seller

Wow really? Only 9.4 and up on early 70's. Let me tell you man, you are going to have a frigg'n tough time doing that unless you get some big paychecks.

Looking at the census for Dracula lives #1 we have only 2 NM 9.4's. And 21 have been submitted for grading! For Vampire Tales #1 we have 1 9.6 and 1 9.4 and 12 total graded. Keeping this in mind, I can guarantee you that people have only submitted copies of these books if they really felt they were HG copies (I mean who would send in a copy of they thought it was VF with a OPG value of $40 and a slab cost of $20-$25?). What I mean here is that, you have people who thought they had really HG copies, coming back as VF/NM's or less. These are books that they probably thought were shoe in's for NM 9.4's.

IMHO, I bet there are the same number of Dracula Lives #1's in NM/MT 9.8 as there are Action Comics #1 in VF/NM 9.0 (only 1 and it is the highest grade). As you can see 21 copies of Dracula Lives have been submitted all by early adopters of High Grade Magazine. And only 2 have been graded as NM 9.4. It is most likely that these people are not sending in junk but the best copies that they have been able to attain of these magazines. This IMHO says ALOT.

Rampaging Hulk #1 will be easier to attain in NM 9.4 (still tough, but a great deal easier). There is something about staple tears with that Dracula Lives #1 and production tears with that Vampire Tales #1. Probably 2 of the toughest Marvel Mags to get in HG. I would say being content with Nice VF/NM 9.0 copies of these books will keep you from going frustrated.gif . For those are still probably within the top 10% of nicest copies for those books at that slabbed grade.

-bounty

comicworm -- by only going 9.4 or better, you're may be limiting yourself to a market that consists of 2 or 3 copies when you're looking at magazines published by the non-Warren or Marvel publishers. For Warren or Marvel, a 9.4 threshhold is more doable. But for the others, if the 9.4+ slabs go into long-term collections, you're S.O.L.

anyway, I may be unduly harsh on some of my books, especially in the high grades. maybe those 8.5s are 9.2s or 9.4s. heck, I sold a VG comic to some guy and his feedback made it sound like it was a NM copy.

in my mind, an 8.5 is a superb copy with maybe some slight wear at the spine corners and maybe a small slight stress line or two.

other than it potentially costing $1200+ if they pass the threshhold, I'm tempted to pick my 50 best magazines and do a 9.4 pre-screen.

the question is whether when a generic copy of creepy 52 or savage sword 26 comes back a 9.4, can I make my money back if I need to?

I can tell you that by looking at a HQ scan of a CGC 8.5 book this is what you should expect in that grade.

Vampirella #49 CGC VF+ 8.5 - Extreme detail explanation below.

Front Cover:

Light abrading/wear at UL corner, light almost non color crease to UR corner.

5 very light spine ticks at 1/16" or less on spine

Light Crescent type crease to bottom edge that doest break color but creates 2 very small 1/32" tears

Back Cover: Slight tear on opposite of spine site (most likely from cutting). Light blunting to UL corner.

1" Lightly breaking color crease/bend to UR corner (spine side).

Color scrape on spine most likely from production.

Light color rubbing on an all black back cover.

Let me know when you sell your raw "8.5's" poke2.gif

Of course I was being SUPER detailed above. But that is about what you should expect. All of the defects sound worse than they are, and the book looks to present amazing.

-bounty

You sure you know what you are talking about here, or did you just pull a number out of nowhere? Not dissing you, but some of this stuff barely exists in that grade. I would check out the census on some of the rarer issues. For instance, Vampirella 3 only has a single copy in 9.4 and none above. Creepy 32 only has 1 9.6 and a 9.8, none in 9.4. Creepy 16 has 2 at 9.4 and none above; same with Eerie 23. These mags are tough and some can bring big bucks, even in lesser grades. You will be spending some TALL cash to snag some of the more desireable issues.

Besides, with mags even more than comics, buying ONLY 9.4 and above is more like buying a label. The differences between a 9.4 and a 9.2 are often negligible, but you will be paying at least double for the "nicer" copy, which could easily have less eye appeal, worse PQ and inferior QP. confused-smiley-013.gif