• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

El Diablo/Chato Santana First Appearance

10 posts in this topic

Did the page come as a paired set?

I had also recently purchased the 1st Appearance of Chato Santana (El Diablo) from El Diablo #1 (page 4) with Pencils (Phil Hester) and Inks (Ande Parks) on 2 separate 11 x 17 boards.

So, after quick googling and seeing that he'd appeared in costume

on the cover, I guess that would make the splash 'first interior

(out of costume/alter ego) appearance'. Very cool still.

I hope the movie will be good, I heard his role is pretty large.

Best,

Gal

Agreed, I think that my page is truly the first appearance of Chato Santa.

I can't wait to see the movie, regardless of the negative reviews. It sounds like it is an entertaining experience and that's what I'm looking for.

-Carl

Agreed, I think that my page is truly the first appearance of Chato Santa.

I can't wait to see the movie, regardless of the negative reviews. It sounds like it is an entertaining experience and that's what I'm looking for.

-Carl

Did you get the pencils as a companion like Rick did ?

I'd love to see them...

Did you get the pencils as a companion like Rick did ?

I'd love to see them...

Mr. Hester only had this page available and so I don't know if the pencils exist separately. Would be cool to have as a companion if they are out there.

-Carl

The definition of 1st appearance probably has your #1 Pg #1 being the best page to have, as the 1st app is usually in the context of the story. Covers count, and sure they're usually more valuable, but in the context of an introduction and continuity, the 1st panel page with a full reveal, as opposed to a cameo mention or obscured rendering, is he best.

As for the other pages in the book, they're also considered 1st Appearances, from the 1st App issue and story. Often times an interior page that may be a splash or better rendering subseuent to the 1st paneled page, might be more desired and higher valued.

The El Diablo pages were penciled by Phil Hester and inked by Ande Parks. If you purchased what looks to be an inked version from Phil direct, next time ask him if the page was inked over blue lines (digital print out) and if the original pencils were done separate.

Often times, due to deadlines or logistics, a full book or even a part of the book is inked separately.

I know my #1 Pg #4 comes / came as a pair, one pencils only; and one inked (over bluelines). It's odd that Phil had the inked version, since most of the time the penciler keeps the penciled art and sends the file to the inker to print out and the inker then keeps their inked original art., but sometimes when they do their 1/3 and 2/3 art split, they pair the piages so the penciler gets 2/3 of the comic both pencils and inks; and the inker gets 1/3 of the comic both pencils and inks, it's generally up to whatever the creative team agrees upon.

Most consider the pencils the best version of original art, so for what you have, if that's inked over bluelines, if for value purposes, as well as for completists, it would be crucial to obtain the original penciled artwork of that page if indeed that was the art process and exists.

The definition of 1st appearance probably has your #1 Pg #1 being the best page to have, as the 1st app is usually in the context of the story. Covers count, and sure they're usually more valuable, but in the context of an introduction and continuity, the 1st panel page with a full reveal, as opposed to a cameo mention or obscured rendering, is he best.

As for the other pages in the book, they're also considered 1st Appearances, from the 1st App issue and story. Often times an interior page that may be a splash or better rendering subseuent to the 1st paneled page, might be more desired and higher valued.

The El Diablo pages were penciled by Phil Hester and inked by Ande Parks. If you purchased what looks to be an inked version from Phil direct, next time ask him if the page was inked over blue lines (digital print out) and if the original pencils were done separate.

Often times, due to deadlines or logistics, a full book or even a part of the book is inked separately.

I know my #1 Pg #4 comes / came as a pair, one pencils only; and one inked (over bluelines). It's odd that Phil had the inked version, since most of the time the penciler keeps the penciled art and sends the file to the inker to print out and the inker then keeps their inked original art., but sometimes when they do their 1/3 and 2/3 art split, they pair the piages so the penciler gets 2/3 of the comic both pencils and inks; and the inker gets 1/3 of the comic both pencils and inks, it's generally up to whatever the creative team agrees upon.

Most consider the pencils the best version of original art, so for what you have, if that's inked over bluelines, if for value purposes, as well as for completists, it would be crucial to obtain the original penciled artwork of that page if indeed that was the art process and exists.

Great summary. I will be emailing Mr. Hester, but upon review of other pages with separate pages(Pencils/Inks) the heading on the Blue Line pages have Hester's name written in blue. On my page, it retains Phil's writing in Black Pen. It is my guess that this page was his pencils that were inked. I will only truly know after correspondence. Thanks for the great insight, Gentlemen.

-Carl