• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Signature Series: Tips Wanted

27 posts in this topic

I've never picked up a signature series book, but the more I look into graded moderns, the more I see this option. Heck, in some instances, there are more SS items in the census than universal.

For the modern collector, are SS books the preferred copy? Is there any rough guidelines that you follow when determining the value of a book that's signed vs. unsigned? For example, for the average, non-hyped book, is the SS version worth 50% more? 30% more? I know it's a case-by-case sort of thing, but does anyone have advice for someone just now looking into such things?

Personally I like SS books a lot. I have been trying to get one by every artist who worked on Detective Comics, but also have stuff from my favorite artists. I would say watch the pre-sale threads here, and speak with witnesses who are constantly busy. This should get you a rough guess as to costs, and should help determine value when purchasing.

In general, are SS books typically more sought after on the secondary market? Or does it have more to do with how rare the autograph is?

Right now, I'm starting to become interested in Adam Hughes books. However, I'm a little unsure when seeing a 9.8 Universal with a BIN of $35 but an SS copy of the same book for $100.

In general, are SS books typically more sought after on the secondary market? Or does it have more to do with how rare the autograph is?

Right now, I'm starting to become interested in Adam Hughes books. However, I'm a little unsure when seeing a 9.8 Universal with a BIN of $35 but an SS copy of the same book for $100.

There are things that factor in. Does the creator charge for signing some charge nothing, others can be $20-$100., how difficult is it to get the signature? Some artists don't make many appearances. Hughes was supposed to be at Boston in 2 weeks, but cancelled.. I had books for him, but now will wait.

Also keep in mind this. Trimpe signatures, and Infantino used to be everywhere and did not command much more than their universal counter part. Not so much after they passed.

I would say the preferred one is the one that YOU prefer, whether signed or not.

I would say the preferred one is the one that YOU prefer, whether signed or not.
:applause:

I agree with that. I've never considered SS books before, so this question was more a generality. I collect fist edition hardcovers and love getting them signed by the author. With comics, I'm never at conventions. So I'm still not sure an auto would be as cool if I didn't have it signed in front of me when I met the creator.

I've never picked up a signature series book, but the more I look into graded moderns, the more I see this option. Heck, in some instances, there are more SS items in the census than universal.

For the modern collector, are SS books the preferred copy? Is there any rough guidelines that you follow when determining the value of a book that's signed vs. unsigned? For example, for the average, non-hyped book, is the SS version worth 50% more? 30% more? I know it's a case-by-case sort of thing, but does anyone have advice for someone just now looking into such things?

Any modern that is in my personal collection must be 9.8 minimum. Second preference is that 9.8 be a signed yellow label. Moderns just look so much nicer in a yellow SS label. IMO

plus SS does command more of premium for certain books. I.E. Saga RRP.

I don't particularly care for SS books. I think the business model is a little on the shady side, but the real reason for me is I think that books generally look better without sigs all over them. Though Michael Golden does have a nice signature hm

Anyway, at the end of the day it's your collection and your money and your preference.

I don't particularly care for SS books. I think the business model is a little on the shady side, but the real reason for me is I think that books generally look better without sigs all over them. Though Michael Golden does have a nice signature hm

Anyway, at the end of the day it's your collection and your money and your preference.

Shadey? I would rather buy a CGC SS witness book than a raw with an unverified sig.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself. I get SS books done because it's fun and can be worth money, especially down the line.

When Herb Trimpe was alive, his stuff wasn't pricey (especially his art on blank covers). Once he passed, prices skyrocketed. Same with Darwyn Cooke. I was fortunate to get some hardcovers signed by him but I never had the chance to get comics signed by him. When he was with us, SS CGCed book averaged about $75. Since he passed, people are charging an average $250.

The point is to get the books signed by the creators you enjoy while they are still with us. I once paid a pretty penny for a John Byrne sig that was being sold by someone on the boards and I don't regret paying the price since Byrne never goes to cons (except to Star Trek in Las Vegas after 14 years of self exile).

Hope that helps.

I'll admit that some autos are pretty ugly, either due to their sloppiness or the inappropriate placement on the cover.

It's interesting that my focus would most likely be Adam Hughes, and his signature is already on his covers (typically). So there'd be an AH on the printed cover, and then another for his signature. Maybe I can get him to do one with the signature right on top of the one that's already on the cover. hm

I'll admit that some autos are pretty ugly, either due to their sloppiness or the inappropriate placement on the cover.

It's interesting that my focus would most likely be Adam Hughes, and his signature is already on his covers (typically). So there'd be an AH on the printed cover, and then another for his signature. Maybe I can get him to do one with the signature right on top of the one that's already on the cover. hm

Hughes has a clean sig . J. Scott Campbell and Todd Mcfarlane have pretty nice signatures well.

generally, I would say that its not a good idea to try to 'make' money from the CGC SS game, at least not until you know a lot more about it.

Just collect what you like.

My collection is literally half and half. I have around 100 blue labels and 100 yellow labels. I get the yellow labels on books I either like the artist, want to get a signature before the artist passes away, or celebrity signatures which can sometimes be hard to come by. You can luck out and make some money on them, but law of averages you are going to be better off just collecting what you like instead of hoping something is going to go for 3 or more times its blue value just by adding a signature.

generally, I would say that its not a good idea to try to 'make' money from the CGC SS game, at least not until you know a lot more about it.

Just collect what you like.

If you are looking to make money then universal trumps SS almost every time.

What do you guys think about the celeb sigs? Worth the time/money?

if you want it and can afford it, then sure its worth it. If you're trying to make money or investment....do A LOT LOT LOT of research ahead of time, and pray the guy/gal becomes a bigger star than they already are. It matters which comic, which celeb, the rarity, the cost, the potential of the celeb, the comic condition, etc....

Edited by Revat

What are your thoughts on having multiple signatures on one book? I've always liked things simple: one book, one sig. But lately I've thought about snagging a book with two or more signatures. But I'm still not sold on the idea, especially if one signature is less sought after than the other.

I know, buy what you like. But this whole SS thing is opening news doors for me, and I'm curious what others think.