• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCBS FALL 2016 SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25TH, TORONTO, ON

33 posts in this topic

I wish someone would've made me aware of the "situation" that took place. This kind of behaviour and dealings are prohibited from our shows.

This point moving forward; if anyone(not a vendor) is caught selling books to other patrons on site will be permanently banned from all TCBS events.

Thanks!

Show was okay. Quick question to sellers...why do you put books on your walls with no prices?

That is a real good question.

My favourite part was when I asked a guy how much his BA #12 was he responds "$1500, I don't really need to sell it"

No, I guess you don't ;)

Jim

Ah museum pricing... doh!

John????:o :o :o

Jim

I wish someone would've made me aware of the "situation" that took place. This kind of behaviour and dealings are prohibited from our shows.

This point moving forward; if anyone(not a vendor) is caught selling books to other patrons on site will be permanently banned from all TCBS events.

Thanks!

I heard last show he was selling books out of the parking lot, so he is getting ballsier

Jim

No need to escalate the situation... I think the guest just didn't realize that he was stepping on any ones toes. The vendor reacted and the guest responded in kind. Many guests are used to bringing their books to shows and selling them to vendors, especially since many vendors advertise that they are buying. I'll let the guest know the proper etiquette to selling the next time I see him.

Rob, it's your show but I think banning guests from bringing books would not be good for the show. After all, it is a market place and your flyer does read: Buy, sell and trade. Instead, I would encourage more activity cause it would be great if someone walked in and offered me their collection ^_^

We just need to educate novice sellers the proper etiquette. I'm still learning myself...

We are in no way suggesting stop bringing books to the show, but as you say "show etiquette" involves trading and making books available to dealers first - they are paying a premium to be there. If two patrons want to engage in a sales transactions, then they should make arrangements to meet offline. Also, in most cases like this, the patron(s) attempting to sell books to other patrons are ususlly seasoned ones and know better.

My policy still stands.

If that guy brings books and offers them to the dealers, then that should be encouraged. If that guy starts to offer them to customers on the floor (even if every dealer passes), then that should not be allowed.

Show was okay. Quick question to sellers...why do you put books on your walls with no prices?

What sellers? Vague is vague. Not every dealer is on the boards. I have prices on my books, Jim didn't have a wall up. Marc & Jay both did as well.

Why not ask first hand to the dealer why they don't.

I just wanted your thoughts from you guys here that actual had booths/tables at the show. Just trying to get my head around it.

Eventually I would like to attempt a one day show myself and just wanted to know what would be the reasons for not pricing wall books as I find that to be on the shady side.

What sellers? Vague is vague. Not every dealer is on the boards. I have prices on my books, Jim didn't have a wall up. Marc & Jay both did as well.

I just wanted your thoughts from you guys here that actual had booths/tables at the show. Just trying to get my head around it.

Eventually I would like to attempt a one day show myself and just wanted to know what would be the reasons for not pricing wall books as I find that to be on the shady side.

You are right and if you do ever set up, always make sure everything is priced. Pricing on the fly never works, but some people still try it.

I don't know if it's "shady" just unprofessional.

Jim

You are right and if you do ever set up, always make sure everything is priced. Pricing on the fly never works, but some people still try it.

I don't know if it's "shady" just unprofessional.

Jim

It's shady. :gossip:

Dealers who depend on speculator dollars are always worried about being priced too low and someone getting the better of them. Imagine pricing a book fairly and have someone else come to you, lowball you on a price and tell you how hard they've been looking for that book, so you come to a deal, only to find out the low baller took it to put on their wall at a significantly higher price. It shouldn't bother you, you agreed to the price, but the deception bothers you nonetheless.

Sometimes people put the price on the back, all one needs to do to find that price is ask.

Pricing on the fly is bonkers. How someone remembers hundreds of prices :o or just gunna look up eBay etc right then is silly.

Price everything. My cgc's are normally on the back (unless on the wall) everything else is upper right corner but often prices can't be seen from the other side of the table and if your interest in a wall book condition likely matters which means I want you to have the book in hand to look at.

That is a real good question.

My favourite part was when I asked a guy how much his BA #12 was he responds "$1500, I don't really need to sell it"

No, I guess you don't ;)

Jim

Ah museum pricing... doh!

John????:o :o :o

Jim

:shy: