• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Pence Keys
1 1

66 posts in this topic

Have we gone back to calling these "price variants" rather than simply the "foreign editions" that they are ?

(shrug)

-J.

I was quoting from the Pristine Comics dealer report - he (assume also an American) used the term in his Overstreet report

The fact remains however, they are literally a "price" variant.

But am fine with "UK edition" as clearly I'm not foreign ;)

lol Touche! (thumbs u

-J.

Agree with you Jaydog - these are indeed "foreign editions" and not "price variants".

They weren't sold in the same country and weren't priced in the same currency.

Whatever, the fact remain they ARE American comics priced for the UK market. UK editions are generally reprints printed in the UK for the UK market, learning the difference may help you to understand, if you don't care either way then stop posting about it and spreading mis-information which is half of the problem :foryou:

There should be a stickied thread in General regarding this point, such is the frequency of its repetition. lol

Have we gone back to calling these "price variants" rather than simply the "foreign editions" that they are ?

(shrug)

-J.

I was quoting from the Pristine Comics dealer report - he (assume also an American) used the term in his Overstreet report

lol Touche! (thumbs u

-J.

Agree with you Jaydog - these are indeed "foreign editions" and not "price variants".

Whatever, the fact remain they ARE American comics priced for the UK market. UK editions are generally reprints printed in the UK for the UK market, learning the difference may help you to understand, if you don't care either way then stop posting about it and spreading mis-information which is half of the problem :foryou:

I think the correct term for these might be "Currency Variant" or "Pence Variant" since every other aspect of the comic is American. I don't like "UK edition" since the only thing different is the price.

(shrug)

-J.

lol Touche! (thumbs u

-J.

I think the correct term for these might be "Currency Variant" or "Pence Variant" since every other aspect of the comic is American. I don't like "UK edition" since the only thing different is the price.

...and the indicia on the inside front cover is different as well, and I don't believe many of them have cover dates either. (thumbs u

And no, they are not "price variants". They were printed with and sold with the standard currency type for the country that they were distributed in. If there were UK versions of these books with "10d" on the cover, or whatever, then those would conceivably be "UK Price Variants". But aping terms that are unique to other comic book eras with an already established meaning is disingenuous, if not outright misleading.

-J.

:facepalm: anyyyyyyyyyyyway....

my reason for posting was to highlight the two original owner pence keys! lovely books don't you think?

I spoke to the seller, he'd bought as child and had hid them away for 50 years

he said he was "overwhelmed" with the sale prices and it would certainly be helping with his pension :)

Is £4,500 / $5,400 a record for the ASM1 ?

p.s. PENCE variants - original PRICE variants :acclaim:

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

- differ in nature from something else of the same general class.

- introduce modifications or changes into (something) so as to make it different

Would you agree that they "vary" from the U.S. copies in some way? If so, can they not be called "variants"?

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

- introduce modifications or changes into (something) so as to make it different

Would you agree that they "vary" from the U.S. copies in some way? If so, can they not be called "variants"?

"UK Edition" describes what they are perfectly. (thumbs u

-J.

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

-J.

As does "Pence Variant, Pence Copy etc"

To-may-to, To-mah-to.

Both are correct (thumbs u

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

-J.

A "UK Edition" would have all UK advertising in it like many other UK comics that have American comic stories. These are "US Editions" that are priced for the UK.

Edited by gadzukes

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

-J.

A "UK Edition" would have all UK advertising in it like many other UK comics that have American comic stories. These are "US Editions" that are priced for the UK.

Yep. All the adverts inside the books were for the U.S. market only. The only difference between pence and cents was the distribution.

What are they "variants" of? They were all printed that way for the foreign market they were distributed in.

Silly. lol

-J.

Variants of the cents priced versions ?

But I don't think we're going to agree on that, which is fine. :foryou:

An 8.0 went for $19,323 in 2012

An 8.5 pence of ASM 1 went for $16,730 (good deal) last August

Anyone have a good guess on the grade of this raw pence?

I'll say 6.5.

Yes I'd agree on that

so actually probably a good deal

I have a much lower pence ASM 1

he didn't have any more BTW

An 8.0 went for $19,323 in 2012

An 8.5 pence of ASM 1 went for $16,730 (good deal) last August

Anyone have a good guess on the grade of this raw pence?

I'll say 6.5.

Yes I'd agree on that

so actually probably a good deal

I wish I would have seen it, I would have bid it up a little more.

The TOS 39 looked like about a 5.5 to me, so another pretty good deal.

I used to own the 7.5 pence TOS 39.... I wish I had it back.

Edited by gadzukes

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

-J.

The interior indicia reflects its UK market. The interior of the comic was not altered with advertisements. That would make them "UK Reprints". "UK Edition" accurately describes what they are , and if I'm not mistaken, it is how both major grading companies brand them. But if you prefer "UK Variant" or "Foreign Variant" you can ask CGC to make a change. I've personally gotten them to modify a label on one occasion to reflect more accurate info about a book so it is possible.

Yes these are American made comics that were produced, branded, and distributed for and in a foreign market.

They are not the original US versions as were distributed here. They are not the same. They were specifically printed for a foreign, overseas market. That this particular market (the UK) also spoke English does not change the fact that they were still produced for an overseas market, and materially altered in some respects to reflect that fact.

-J.

vary

ˈvɛːri

verb

-J.

The interior indicia reflects its UK market. The interior of the comic was not altered with advertisements. That would make them "UK Reprints". "UK Edition" accurately describes what they are , and if I'm not mistaken, it is how both major grading companies brand them. But if you prefer "UK Variant" or "Foreign Variant" you can ask CGC to make a change. I've personally gotten them to modify a label on one occasion to reflect more accurate info about a book so it is possible.

Yes these are American made comics that were produced, branded, and distributed for and in a foreign market.

They are not the original US versions as were distributed here. They are not the same. They were specifically printed for a foreign, overseas market. That this particular market (the UK) also spoke English does not change the fact that they were still produced for an overseas market, and materially altered in some respects to reflect that fact.

-J.

I'll make one minor change - these were/are technically not US versions but "North American" versions as they were distributed in Canada, at the same time and in the same format as those in the US :)

Edited by pemart1966

What are they "variants" of? They were all printed that way for the foreign market they were distributed in.

Silly. lol

-J.

I always say, friends should be able to disagree with each other and still be friendly. :)

-J.

Silly. lol

-J.

I always say, friends should be able to disagree with each other and still be friendly. :)

-J.

Hello all. Mind if I join this debate?

I don't like "UK Edition" as I think that term better suits UK reprint titles such as Spider-Man Comics Weekly, or Mighty World of Marvel. To clearly identify that a comic is a first printing US produced original with a Pence price then the word "variant" needs to be used. So the logical term, given that the key variance is the price, would be "Pence Price Variant" in my opinion. I think CGC have got it wrong. "UK Edition" is a loose term. "Pence Price Variant" is a clear, factually accurate term. The same follows for "Canadian Dollar Price Variant" and "Australian Dollar Price Variant".

These are the terms I use and promote when and wherever I can.

Silly. lol

-J.

-J.

Hello all. Mind if I join this debate?

I don't like "UK Edition" as I think that term better suits UK reprint titles such as Spider-Man Comics Weekly, or Mighty World of Marvel. To clearly identify that a comic is a first printing US produced original with a Pence price then the word "variant" needs to be used. So the logical term, given that the key variance is the price, would be "Pence Price Variant" in my opinion. I think CGC have got it wrong. "UK Edition" is a loose term. "Pence Price Variant" is a clear, factually accurate term. The same follows for "Canadian Dollar Price Variant" and "Australian Dollar Price Variant".

These are the terms I use and promote when and wherever I can.

I get what you're saying, but the currency type is not the only difference they have with the regular north American copies, so I can't get behind what you're saying.

CGC has it spot on, as is IMO.

-J.