• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Pence Keys
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I get what you're saying, but the currency type is not the only difference they have with the regular north American copies, so I can't get behind what you're saying.

CGC has it spot on, as is IMO.

-J.

My understanding has been that the interior of the Pence books are exactly the same as the US versions. The only difference is the cover with the price variation. What other differences are there? Curious...

There's the price variation and removal of the date.

And at the bottom of the indicia it states "distributed in the U.K. by Thorpe And Porter".

And that's it.

....or L Miller, depending on the title.

Early Pence copies have the price in Pence (obviously!), the cover date removed and an additional line at the foot of the indicia as above (Thorpe & Porter or L Miller).

Then the cover date stopped being removed.

Then the additional indicia line ceased.

Then the cover headings changed to "Marvel All-Colour Comics" so as not to clash with B&W British reprints.

Then the final run of 20p Pence copies had just the cover price difference.

So a few incidental changes throughout the history, but with the one overriding constant, the cover price. Hence "UK Pence Price Variants" :banana:

Nice breakdown of what I mentioned. (thumbs u (I didn't want to check all that and then type it out :shy: ) Now give us the dates for all those changes. :sumo::baiting:

Add to this the fact that they were printed at the same time using the same paper and inks as Cent copies (but printed at much lower percentage) and I think you have an attractive variant to collect.

Honestly, I don't think they're attractive to collect at all. I'm not interested in them and only own one. I just don't like it when people apply incorrect classifications to things, whether it's an attempt to belittle them or inflate their importance.

Ok, I'll do it at the weekend :insane:

Does everyone agree that Pence copies, at least on key issues, seem to be gaining some ground in both respect and value, or is that still under debate?

They are, but only by the very discerning.

Indeed

Do you think Brexit is more or less likely to increase the demand for pence price variants? hm

Does everyone agree that Pence copies, at least on key issues, seem to be gaining some ground in both respect and value, or is that still under debate?

They are, but only by the very discerning.

Indeed

Do you think Brexit is more or less likely to increase the demand for pence price variants? hm

Reduce, surely, as there will be no one left to buy them as the world will have ended.

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd sure like to. As Mio said, they are what they are. Same book, same time, slightly altered for different markets, but those alterations do not include content or advertising.

Forget the label nomenclature debate for a moment. They are almost parallel to 1985 Eclipse Comics Miracleman 1, except printing occurred in two different places. The less common UK release commands a premium.

Then there's the 35-cent Star Wars 1. Same book, same time, same print, but a subset of 1,200 or 1,600 or somesuch was given a price bump and issued in a single Midwestern market within the overall U.S. Market. Again, huge premium.

The pence books strike me as a similar situation. Same time, same run, price altered for a different market. Early globalization is all it is.

I'll have to search but I read somewhere (one of the Overstreet market reports?) speculation that for shipping purposes the shorter UK run were first off the presses due to increased shipping time needed. The guy used FF#1 as an example, suggesting that the UK market copies had a deeper green monster on the cover, suggesting better ink saturation?? I'm not a printer, who knows?

Anyway, I can see equal value one day. If anything, despite scarcity, I do not get the tremendous premium given to inconsequential "variants" in general, such as price variants or a jeweler's ad insert. At least with variant covers (and I'm not a modern collector) a different, less common is a difference of substance. These are not a huge motivator for me, though I'd pick up a fun one like the Betty and Veronica Hulk 181 homage or the Wolverine EC decapitation homage.

I think I just argued a bit of both sides but that's how I see it. I don't get why slight, immaterial differences, however scarce, justify huge premiums, but I do not see them as inferior copies either.

Edited by Readcomix