• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect auction starts tomorrow

276 posts in this topic

Spitfire :o:o:o:o

Can't say I ever expected that one to go for over 34 times guide. ^^

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

I told you great cover and the price proves it,glad to just have one!

Tough book to find, GGA cover, WW II cover, 9.8, White pages, and Church copy. Still, that was a crazy price.

+1

I think you pretty well nailed all of the things the book had going for it. (thumbs u

Definitely in terms of it being the Church copy as books from this pedigree seems to be seeing a big time resurgence in price. The 9.8 is a 9.8 and won't ever be beat plus this thing about obscure GGA (especially in terms of leggy curves) just seems to be red hot right now. :cloud9::takeit: , but just not at these prices. lol

After all, just take a look at the raw VFish non-pedigree Cindy 37 which sold recently for something like $7,500. :o

Well, I'm tapped out on the Planet 29- $1060 was not enough to get it. :tonofbricks:

Guess I will just have to keep waiting. :taptaptap:

I am out on that book as well. Just to much for a 7.0 in my opinion. Sold for $1273

Another book I consigned. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the prices my books have fetched in this auction.

I can't blame you. You netted around $1150 after their fees. I would like to tell sellers to sell more here but I honestly don't think you could have put that book up here and got $1150. $1000? Yes. I would have paid that. Good sale and hopefully I can get a decent copy of this at a good price in the near future.

This level of dust shadow should not be found on a 9.0 book IMHO.

batman15_zpsfo8xlhsp.jpeg

OK, that is pretty bad (is that a Billy Wright?) but I'd say that it's the exception rather than the rule. They're usually not that bad.

Dust shadows don't seem to be uncommon on Billy Wrights, though usually not that bad, it makes one wonder how they were stored.

Well, I'm tapped out on the Planet 29- $1060 was not enough to get it. :tonofbricks:

I am out on that book as well. Just to much for a 7.0 in my opinion. Sold for $1273

Another book I consigned. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the prices my books have fetched in this auction.

I see, that Spitfire must have been yours then. :whee:lol

Seriously though, was this your first time consigning with CC? Have you also consigned with the other major auction houses in the past? If so, how did you view CC from an overall consignor's point of view (i.e. service, cost, prices achieved, communications, etc) as compared to the other auction houses? hm

After all, just take a look at the raw VFish non-pedigree Cindy 37 which sold recently for something like $7,500. :o

Impressive, but since GD copies can sell for close to a grand (or more for all I know), not surprising.

That book has gone from being an above average demand GGA cover to GGA holy grail status in the last few years.

I see, that Spitfire must have been yours then. :whee:lol

Seriously though, was this your first time consigning with CC? Have you also consigned with the other major auction houses in the past? If so, how did you view CC from an overall consignor's point of view (i.e. service, cost, prices achieved, communications, etc) as compared to the other auction houses? hm

I wish that Spitfire was my consignment. I've consigned books to CL, CC and HA in the past. I am very impressed with the way CC handled this large batch of books. Rob Reynolds (a great guy) handled most of the logistics and remained accessible to address questions and concerns while he was busy at SDCC and Chicago. Ive been really impressed with the prices recent CC auctions have fetched for off-title golden age books, and took a chance with this auction by moving many of my under copies and some really rare books that I felt it was time to move on from. Almost every book exceeded my expectations. I'll have some additional books consigned for the December event auction.

As for the other auction houses, I have also had good experiences in the past. I moved some bigger books through HA a while back (including a Suspense 3) and did well. I recently consigned an Avengers 1 through CL and it also did well.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Startling 53, 9.4 double cover going for over 8k!! Wow. Was thinking that was a $4500-$5500 book.

Here is a question hm ; If none of us here are paying these new record prices on these non-key (or at least very minor key) GA books then who is? An investor class group that is not really that educated in comic price fluctuations? New hobbyists with deep pockets? I'm not really talking about a Planet 29 going for a few hundred higher than expected, but rather the Spitfire and the Startling and some of these other extreme cases.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Startling 53, 9.4 double cover going for over 8k!! Wow. Was thinking that was a $4500-$5500 book.

Here is a question hm ; If none of us here are paying these new record prices on these non-key (or at least very minor key) GA books then who is? An investor class group that is not really that educated in comic price fluctuations? New hobbyists with deep pockets? I'm not really talking about a Planet 29 going for a few hundred higher than expected, but rather the Spitfire and the Startling and some of these other extreme cases.

Good question Rick. I *thought* I had a good handle on GGA. But in the last few auctions, my bids haven't been competitive. What's moving the prices? Perhaps the Mile High 49 breaking the 100k barrier brought more attention to this niche ? (shrug)

OK, that is pretty bad (is that a Billy Wright?) but I'd say that it's the exception rather than the rule. They're usually not that bad.

That's a ridiculous grade. If that had been a clear water stain instead, a defect resulting in much higher eye appeal, it would be in a 6.0 holder or worse.

Their policies on dust shadows, foxing and stains make absolutely zero sense. I am more than happy to take advantage though, both by avoiding/selling fugly copies like that Batman, and buying great looking copies with unobtrusive moisture stains that are "low grade".

That's a ridiculous grade. If that had been a clear water stain instead, a defect resulting in much higher eye appeal, it would be in a 6.0 holder or worse.

Their policies on dust shadows, foxing and stains make absolutely zero sense. I am more than happy to take advantage though, both by avoiding/selling fugly copies like that Batman, and buying great looking copies with unobtrusive moisture stains that are "low grade".

9.0! LMAO . gotta love the consistency

9.0! LMAO . gotta love the consistency

Back cover of the Allentown Tec #38 graded 9.4:

Allentown%20Tec%2038%20back%20cover_zpsrcz3ykpn.jpg

I have said this for years but what is even more alarming is how they have decided to stick their heads in the sand regarding this issue. Probably has to do with the fact that they wouldn't be able to justify why a stain that you can't see at a glance should hammer a grade more than this foxing pos example.

I'll have some additional books consigned for the December event auction.

Keep an eye on the closing date for their December auction. Last year it closed well into December -- too close to Christmas, imo. I had several books in that auction that hammered significantly below what I had expected.

But, then, I'm always an optimist! :D

Good question Rick. I *thought* I had a good handle on GGA. But in the last few auctions, my bids haven't been competitive. What's moving the prices? Perhaps the Mile High 49 breaking the 100k barrier brought more attention to this niche ? (shrug)

I think that plays a part. There has definitely been a resurgence in that market lately. Kind of a bad time to still need a lot of it :eyeroll: But a great time to have the right books lol

I have said this for years but what is even more alarming is how they have decided to stick their heads in the sand regarding this issue. Probably has to do with the fact that they wouldn't be able to justify why a stain that you can't see at a glance should hammer a grade more than this foxing pos example.

Have to agree, this is a most unattractive dust shadow. Not all of them are THIS bad. I don't love water stains, but if I had to choose, a relatively unobtrusive water stain (and a much lower grade) would be a much better book to buy than this.

Good thoughts. I haven't given the GGA arena too much thought, as I really only have a Jo-Jo 25 in my collection in a lower grade. Would love to have more like it, but in higher grades, looks like I'd better come into some $ first. ;)

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Not to dis the buyer at all, but I just don't see that particular book worth that particular amount of $, vs. other things that could be bought at that level. Just not that great a cover. Still, a 9.8 and a Church copy are two points in favor. :)

Not to dis the buyer at all, but I just don't see that particular book worth that particular amount of $, vs. other things that could be bought at that level. Just not that great a cover. Still, a 9.8 and a Church copy are two points in favor. :)

Some people seem to love the cover, something for everyone. A non-pedigree 9.2 sold nine years ago for $836, so factoring for the rise in value of most WW2 cover GA books and the 9.8 Church designation, I guess north of 5K was going to be the floor for this book, and once bidders are playing in that sandbox, tripling the low estimate isn't entirely unusual.