• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect auction starts tomorrow

276 posts in this topic

Another book I consigned. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the prices my books have fetched in this auction.

I see, that Spitfire must have been yours then. :whee:lol

Seriously though, was this your first time consigning with CC? Have you also consigned with the other major auction houses in the past? If so, how did you view CC from an overall consignor's point of view (i.e. service, cost, prices achieved, communications, etc) as compared to the other auction houses? hm

I wish that Spitfire was my consignment. I've consigned books to CL, CC and HA in the past. I am very impressed with the way CC handled this large batch of books. Rob Reynolds (a great guy) handled most of the logistics and remained accessible to address questions and concerns while he was busy at SDCC and Chicago. Ive been really impressed with the prices recent CC auctions have fetched for off-title golden age books, and took a chance with this auction by moving many of my under copies and some really rare books that I felt it was time to move on from. Almost every book exceeded my expectations. I'll have some additional books consigned for the December event auction.

As for the other auction houses, I have also had good experiences in the past. I moved some bigger books through HA a while back (including a Suspense 3) and did well. I recently consigned an Avengers 1 through CL and it also did well.

Greatly appreciate your response! (thumbs u

Yes, I've also heard nothing but great things about the great hands on service by Rob Reynolds. :applause:

I guess the only thing about HA is their substantially larger fees, although I have heard that you can get this down somewhat closer to the CC and CL fee range if you have some decent books to consign to them. (shrug)

This level of dust shadow should not be found on a 9.0 book IMHO.

batman15_zpsfo8xlhsp.jpeg

Any idea what this copy of Batman 15 finished up at?

Just asking because although CGC may not have taken the dust shadow into account for grading purposes, the bidders might have factored it in anyways when it came to their bids. hm

It turned out to be a Terrific evening :sumo:

27572552-9FE9-478A-83E0-08A930A88971_zpsunnylvfu.jpg

Did you score that one, then? Big congrats if so -- beauty, a classic book! :)

Yeah, I did. Thought the price was reasonable. There are three books I have wanted that felt fairly tough to obtain and this is one of them. We will see how it feels when I get it home.

Congrats on picking up one of your grails! :applause:

Terrific comic book you've got there, by the way. ;)

Dear Bidders and Consignors,

The ComicConnect Summer Special Auction was attacked Friday evening at approximately 9:25pm. A sophisticated DDoS attack (Distributed Denial of Service) was launched on our servers and brought down the auction.

We are deeply sorry for this. Although we've gone through great lengths and expense to protect the site, this attack still occurred.

Rest assured, our database was not breached and no client data was at risk. This was a directed attack on our servers.

All lots that were disrupted will be rescheduled for Wednesday, September 7th at 7pm. They will begin at their last bid amounts. The first lot will be Weird Mysteries #5.

Other than this email, posting on our site and message boards, we will be personally reaching out to bidders on Tuesday and Wednesday to make sure they are aware of the new day and time.

We cannot thank enough the myriad number of bidders and consignors who have reached out to us, not only with their concerns, but also their support and understanding. We appreciate it very much.

If you have any questions please email robr@comicconnect.com or call our offices Tuesday morning at 888-779-7377 Ext. 121 or 212-895-3999 Ext. 121.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

COO

Updated with additional information 9/3/16 at 5:07 PM

Myself, I was watching a comic that I had bid on, and with about 11 minutes to go I was still the high bidder. But then....nothing. No using the "instant refresh". No bidding. Back over to Google, see if I can access the homepage - no ComicConnect at all. CC then did get a message out about them being hacked.

I consider their response to be about as fair as it can be under the circumstances.

Good luck resolving the IT issues, CC!

--ElJay

Just asking because although CGC may not have taken the dust shadow into account for grading purposes, the bidders might have factored it in anyways when it came to their bids. hm

It sold for 8K in 2012, more recently a non pedigree 9.0 that looks nicer sold for 4800 on Heritage. They also sold the SF pediree, graded 9.0 back in 2004 for 5750.

It would seem bidders not only ignored the dust shadow, but unlike many other GA Batman books, this issue isn't climbing in value.

It turned out to be a Terrific evening :sumo:

27572552-9FE9-478A-83E0-08A930A88971_zpsunnylvfu.jpg

Did you score that one, then? Big congrats if so -- beauty, a classic book! :)

Yeah, I did. Thought the price was reasonable. There are three books I have wanted that felt fairly tough to obtain and this is one of them. We will see how it feels when I get it home.

Nice, my early bid got blown away, but I never expected it to last. I thought the #2 went pretty cheap actually, as my low ball bid was only topped by two increments.

It sold for 8K in 2012, more recently a non pedigree 9.0 that looks nicer sold for 4800 on Heritage. They also sold the SF pediree, graded 9.0 back in 2004 for 5750.

It would seem bidders not only ignored the dust shadow, but unlike many other GA Batman books, this issue isn't climbing in value.

My bad.........I thought you meant this dust shadowed copy of Batman 15 had just been sold in the CC auction earlier this week. doh!

It should be noted that the $8K result was achieved when the Billy Wright pedigree first came to market and needless to say, the Heritage hype machine was running in full overdrive promoting the heck out of that collection. :censored:

Not surprisingly, very few of the BW books have been able to achieve the same prices as the initial auction result from February of 2012 when they re-entered into the marketplace after that. :tonofbricks:

I guess Mitch was right when he said during the run-up to the auction that the Billy Wright books represented such an opportunity for collectors since the books would never see these prices again. lol

Ok! What in the world is going on?? :insane:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=673837

what in Gods name is driving prices of these books lately?? I mean its only a 7.5 and not a well centered one at that. its really not jealously 'cause I wouldn't sell my high grade copy even for that number, by dammit boy

what in Gods name is driving prices of these books lately?? I mean its only a 7.5 and not a well centered one at that. its really not jealously 'cause I wouldn't sell my high grade copy even for that number, by dammit boy

This entire hobby has "jumped the shark".

$124,222 for More Fun # 55 lol

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=527914

I cannot fathom future generations of collectors giving one damn iota for this book

Where is the future demand going to come from ???

I cannot fathom future generations of collectors giving one damn iota for this book

Beats me brotha, I've attempted to lure my 15 year old into the hobby and he just has little to no interest. WTOTF 2 is a great book, but good Lord

Beats me brotha, I've attempted to lure my 15 year old into the hobby and he just has little to no interest. WTOTF 2 is a great book, but good Lord

Boomers gotta boom I guess.

Millennials and their offspring won't have the financial means or the interest in some of these "old man" books. More Fun 55, good grief.

I gotta believe a good portion of the market will crash at some point.

I gotta believe a good portion of the market will crash at some point.

Well Peter, I sure as hell hope your wrong :wishluck:

I love the hobby. Going on 30 years strong but sometimes I think a good crash would do this hobby some good.

A time for reflection and reassessment.

1st Dr. Fate (shrug)

I find some of these final hammer prices both amusing and depressing.

Amusing because I couldn't possibly ever afford to pay those prices ever!

Depressing for exactly the same reason.

I can only think that there must be a lot of ignorance out there in terms of newish collectors entering the hobby and looking toward the future with 'investment' in mind.

Or it could just be as simple as some people have literally more money than common sense.

Having said all that, this hobby is an addiction, and addicts need their fix no matter what.