• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

So, the general rule of thumb is this: 99% of the hot out of the gate speculation fueled indie books? lol

Basically, because they are new characters and properties. That's what people seem to like.

If you think about what has been hot with the Big 2 it's been variants for DC and Mosaic and Riri for Marvel.

So, the general rule of thumb is this: 99% of the hot out of the gate speculation fueled indie books? lol

Basically, because they are new characters and properties. That's what people seem to like.

If you think about what has been hot with the Big 2 it's been variants for DC and Mosaic and Riri for Marvel.

The speculative wins with indie books are few and far between now compared to 2012-13. There are better bets with DC and Marvel books.

The speculative wins with indie books are few and far between now compared to 2012-13. There are better bets with DC and Marvel books.

I wouldn't even say that. I think quickest to turn it wins. What do the Big 2 have, maybe two books a month out of 200+ that have a value change? Maybe if you count variants it's more.

I wouldn't even say that. I think quickest to turn it wins. What do the Big 2 have, maybe two books a month out of 200+ that have a value change? Maybe if you count variants it's more.

If you are selective, you can make good coin on modern speculating from the Big 2 on a more regular basis. The key is to buy enough volume of a book at at least a 35% discount.

...and how about...

Star Wars (2013) - oh yeah !!!! Alex Ross, Hastings, RRP sketch covers, and all of the original characters back together...again...

These books were/are awesome. Every issue was a winner from a spec standpoint, at least early on, and probably would have stayed that way had it not been for Marvel/Disney stealing their thunder. Issues #1 and #2 bought between $15 to $20. The sketch covers ? An easy $100 bill at their pinnacle and $60-$75 for quite a while. Those were the days...and they weren't that long ago.

I personally thought Dark Horse really got Star Wars ( the original movie ) in a way that Marvel has yet to achieve. The Dark Horse expanded universe was incredible. The can be had for a relative pittance at this point and they're worth more that just in reading material...

One more thing. While Marvel was pushing the 1,000,000 copies produced Mark for their most recent Star Wars #1, Dark Horse Star Wars #1 didn't reach 40,000. They're both full of good material but one seems the better deal to me. 2c

...and yet another...

Rat Queens - Ah, this could have possibly passed East. Of West as my favorite comic had it stayed on course. I grew up playing AD&D and Traveller. Reading comics and Heavy metal magazine. I ran with the hoods and the nerds but the nerds were my favorite kind of people. They loved sci-fi and adventure and weren't afraid to let people know it.

I felt strongly that Kurtis Wiebe understood the nerd and put that understanding into a comic called Rat Queens. It was absolutely wonderful when it first came out and stayed that way for a while. The characters in this book were cool, likable, beautiful, and somewhat scary. The art was on another level imo. I truly miss this book and hope it returns...soon...

...once upon a time there was...

Todd, The Ugliest Kid on Earth- what can I say about this book. F'n hilarious ? Check. Fantastic art ? Check. Greatest funny book writer ever ? Check. How could you not fall in love with this story ? Todd was like a lot of us as a kid...just in a slightly exaggerated enviornment lol

The two things I loved most about this series were;

A. It is the only book I can remember reading that caused me to both lol and have to take a bathroom break...and...

B. Had one of the coolest writers ever. Ken, Frank from Five Ghosts, Kurtis, and Tim Daniel have been awesome contributors to comics and this site. There is a certain guy writing Black Eyed Kids who would fall into this category too.

The book was also a huge spec winner for a few years but I wouldn't sell mine. These are in the same collection that holds all of my favorites and always will be.

...one more before bed....

Five Ghosts - this book was amazing and I hope it makes a comeback. Its amazing that more people didn't support the series and was the first book to make me realize that no matter how great something looks and reads, Image comics has promotional limitations. Had this been a Marvel book, my guess is that it would not only sell over 50,000 copies a month but would have been made into a movie. It had a Raiders of the Lost Ark type of feel without being a copycat.

Frank was a regular on these boards for a couple of years and I miss hearing from him. Chris made a few cameo appearances here too. How great was his art ? Awesome is good start but doesn't completely describe his talent. This book rocked :headbang:

..too much caffeine so a couple of more tonight starting with...

Hitman- Garth Ennis created Tommy Monoghan. A mind reading killer with x-ray vision ( and he gets its uses ) that is remarkably likable. Stories like Ace of Killers and Who Dares Wins are standouts but the entire series was wonderful. Issue #34 features Tommy cheering a guy we all know...Superman. The whole issue is ironic and must read material. If you ever see a run of these, pick them up. Brilliant writing by Ennis at the top of his game. Its made even better with John McCrea doing pencils. A++++++

...which made me think of...

JLA - Grant Morrison made it seem possible for Batman to more than hold his own with guys like Superman and Martian Manhunter. Quite the feat and only he and Frank Miller have managed it well so imo. From the very first story featuring the White Martians to the middle of the series including great stories from Mark Waid, this series was next level and has yet to be matched by any Justice League book since ( The Darkseid War was pretty spectacular). Howard Porter was a machine at getting this book with so many detail, out to shops on time. My personal favorite story featured Prometheus. I'm certain he needs to be upgraded for the 21st century but how cool was it when he took on Batman ? These are also permanent fixtures in my collection. If you don't have a set, buy now. Believe it or not, the series will be 20 years old next year...

...and yet another...

Rat Queens - Ah, this could have possibly passed East. Of West as my favorite comic had it stayed on course. I grew up playing AD&D and Traveller. Reading comics and Heavy metal magazine. I ran with the hoods and the nerds but the nerds were my favorite kind of people. They loved sci-fi and adventure and weren't afraid to let people know it.

I felt strongly that Kurtis Wiebe understood the nerd and put that understanding into a comic called Rat Queens. It was absolutely wonderful when it first came out and stayed that way for a while. The characters in this book were cool, likable, beautiful, and somewhat scary. The art was on another level imo. I truly miss this book and hope it returns...soon...

(thumbs u

+1

A lot of titles I loved on this list.

I'll add my little special book.

Uncanny X-Force (vol 1) the 1st 20 issues were amazing!

Opena & Ribic art, with fill ins by really good artists as well.

Deadpool written as the heart of the team. the only time i liked him as a character. Kid Appoc introduced, Fantomex as a character i don't want to kill.

Just an amazing run of comics that will always have a special place for me.

Gotham Central, brilliant series with the most awesome issue being the one where Montoya and Jim Corrigan (not that one!) take it out to the alley to settle business!

50 cents an issue on ebay but a great read

Chronos was wonderful too, great art. Wonderful wonderful.

Waid Captain America just before, but not after, Heroes Reborn.

Coventry.