• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

Alright, keep in mind that THE AUTHORITY has listed most of what I would have because we are the same person. Shills. lol Here's a few that I would like to add.

1) Starman. Starman still stands as one of my all time favorite DC series. Robinson hasn't repeated this magic since. I remember being upset that Harris left the book, but upon re-reading the series I actually don't mind as much. It's just the perfect book starring a reluctant hero, and explores so many often neglected corners of the DCU. I really feel like this is one of the most underrated DC series ever.

2) Archer & Armstrong: The original series. Barry Smith art. Buddy book. Just beautifully done.

3) The first 25 issues of Harbinger. This series spoke to me. I cared about these kids. I think the last few issues with Pete confronting Harada were some of the most exciting books I've ever read. Sure people still remember the early stuff fondly, but I really loved the first 25 issues.

4) Magnus Robot Fighter (1st series Valiant) + Rai and the Future Force:

Again, people remember the stuff up until a bit after Unity, but the Malev War was one of my favorite story lines ever. I really wish it had been collected.

((I just realized that I probably need to not keep adding Valiant books as there are a bunch more I would add and I'd like to add some variety here))

5) Mr Majestic (1st 6 issues) Joe Casey and Ed McGuinness. Underrated big time. Loved this. They were mostly stand alone stories, but very fun.

6) Untold Tales of Spider-man: Busiek and Olliffe. Probably tied with Ultimate Spider-man for my favorite Spidey ever. These stories fit in between the original stuff. Busiek is a fantastic writer, and Olliffe may be one of the most underappreciated artists ever.

7) Astro City: The original 6 issue mini can stand up against anything, and the following ongoing is pretty good too. Plus, the fantastic Alex Ross covers are a perfect compliment to Anderson's interiors.

8) Waid/Garney run on Captain America. I don't think I've ever been so angered by a creative team shakeup as when I found out that ROB LIEFELD was going to be breaking up this fantastic run to do his version in Heroes Reborn. My favorite Cap run by far. They came back to it later on, but it just didn't have the same magic as that late end run.

9) Mantra, Prime, Evil Ernie (1st couple of mini series), Fatale, Savage Dragon, Marvel Boy, The Sentry (original) Inhumans (Paul Jenkins/ Jae Lee) ....I kind of lumped some together here. Loved all of them. No one seems to care or mention them.

10) The Last Avengers Story: My all time favorite Marvel series. Numero uno. It was only a 2 issue limited series, but it still stands as one of the best things Marvel has ever done. Peter David and BEAUTIFULLY painted art by Ariel Olivetti. This was a future Avengers story before that kind of story was commonplace. If you like the Avengers, or Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne in particular, you owe it to yourself to read this.

Again, The Authority named a bunch that I would have, but figured I'd add in some.

I could probably add 10 more, but I'll see if anyone cares about these first lol

Starman is my favorite comic series ever.

One of my favorite modern comics, and one I have written about a few times before here on the boards, is Wildstorm Spotlight featuring Majestic by Alan Moore and Carlos D'Anda (his first comics work). Nothing less than the end of the universe in this one folks!

I swear to god....I think you and I have the exact same taste in comics. I keep meaning to add something to this thread, but then you go and do it for me lol

...and now...

30 Days of Night - This is the book that helped me discover Niles and Templesmith. The story is off the charts scary and the art has a super splatter creepy look. Perfect for this mini series. The movie doesn't compare to the book but it did have some tense moments....

I was thinking the same thing. Reading this thread was like taking a trip down memory lane of what I read the last 20 years. I was super bummed when Crossgen ended. I also enjoyed Pat Lee's early Dreamwave G1 Transoformer series.

Next up...

Uber - This book has a lot going for it., not the least of which would be Kieron Gillen writing and Canaan White on art duty. Throw in a war story that is truly unique among any others before and originally short printed, high demand comics. Reprints doused the fire that was Uber. the first prints for issue #0 were truly hard to find at roughly 1500 copies of so each. These kinds of numbers usually drive a hot book into the $100s range but Avatar kept putting out new covers without acknowledging that the later books were 2nd, 3rd, and so on printings. This caused a backlash for a book that was better than most books written in the last decade.

Issue #0, a book that at one time topped $30 can now be had for cover or less. Odd considering that it really doesn't matter if Avatar put 2nd printing on the later books, we still know, right ? lol

Really great read - anyone seen the 2nd part (#28 onwards) appear in a store near them?

It was supposed to be out by now, and finish off at #60 but my LCS can't find any concrete evidence of its arrival date.

Highly recommended to anyone who has not read it!

...and now...

Planetary - I believe that The Authority was the best superhero comic Ellis could write but Planetary was his masterpiece for the masses. Unlike The Authority and it's bombastic episodes, Planetary was a book of stealth, detective work, history, and precision. I don't want to spoil it but. I'd venture a guess that most collectors consider this Ellis' greatest work. John Cassaday was spectacular with his pencils. The character, Elijah Snow, is probably the greatest new character invented in the last 30 years and another Century baby....

Awesome book - proudly sits on my wall alongside other slabbed #1's of Transmetropolitan, The Boys, Daytripper and Y The Last Man, as pretty much the best 5 books I have read from the modern era

...I've also run across...

JSA #1-87 - Geoff Johns made Flash great but this run was legendary. Who else could take a bunch of formerly popular characters and have them run right below DC's JLA in popularity ? Not only were the stories better than any other books featuring these old superheroes, and a few very interesting new ones, they were the best JSA ever. So what could make it even better ? How about Rag Morales and later issues featuring some of the coolest covers that Alex Ross ever did. Amazing...

This is the best run most people haven't read its that good. I loved it month in and month out best run of a book during that time period.

Another awesome series - people should hunt these out and enjoy them.

Really cheap - I sold the last run of these I had for about $50 for all - such good value and they are easily found.

I preferred to read them one by one, dunno why, but highly, highly recommended, fantastic 'old-skool' characters.

Great choices in this thread, really, really great books!

I swear to god....I think you and I have the exact same taste in comics. I keep meaning to add something to this thread, but then you go and do it for me lol

...and now...

30 Days of Night - This is the book that helped me discover Niles and Templesmith. The story is off the charts scary and the art has a super splatter creepy look. Perfect for this mini series. The movie doesn't compare to the book but it did have some tense moments....

Awax and I have the same problem. Either we all have great taste or...we don't :roflmao:

..and the best hero book in years...

Invincible - If you really want proof that A. Superheroes are nearly a done deal and that B. Great stories lose out to slick marketing, here it is. If someone asked me to name the single best superhero ever created, I'd have to throw Invincible in the mix. A character with Superman like powers and armed with the wit of early Spider-man/Peter Parker. He faces threats on Earth equal or greater than anything Marvel or DC characters have ever had to battle. How about aliens ? The Avengers and the Fantastic Four would be hard pressed to find better ones. Want love, hate, betrayal, and battles ?

There is no better superhero book on the market. Period. Yet, the most recent available sales data available from Comichron.com lets us know that around 12,500 care enough to buy an issue. Almost no speculators support the series so the number is readers but how sad is it that what is arguably the best cape book on the market almost 2 to 1 by books that Marvel and DC are ready to cancel ? In fact, Invincible was beaten by 171 other comics in June is terms of orders. Since we like to speculate here, I'd bet over 50 of those books were driven by covers and not content. Just a guess.

Written by the creator of The Walking Dead, Mark Grayson is today's Peter Parker coming up in a much more vicious world. This book is as good as it gets....

Invincible is still my favorite comic (thumbs u

Another book not mentioned yet I'd like to see return and finish the story is "The Stuff of Legend."

Alright, keep in mind that THE AUTHORITY has listed most of what I would have because we are the same person. Shills. lol Here's a few that I would like to add.

1) Starman. Starman still stands as one of my all time favorite DC series. Robinson hasn't repeated this magic since. I remember being upset that Harris left the book, but upon re-reading the series I actually don't mind as much. It's just the perfect book starring a reluctant hero, and explores so many often neglected corners of the DCU. I really feel like this is one of the most underrated DC series ever.

2) Archer & Armstrong: The original series. Barry Smith art. Buddy book. Just beautifully done.

3) The first 25 issues of Harbinger. This series spoke to me. I cared about these kids. I think the last few issues with Pete confronting Harada were some of the most exciting books I've ever read. Sure people still remember the early stuff fondly, but I really loved the first 25 issues.

4) Magnus Robot Fighter (1st series Valiant) + Rai and the Future Force:

Again, people remember the stuff up until a bit after Unity, but the Malev War was one of my favorite story lines ever. I really wish it had been collected.

((I just realized that I probably need to not keep adding Valiant books as there are a bunch more I would add and I'd like to add some variety here))

5) Mr Majestic (1st 6 issues) Joe Casey and Ed McGuinness. Underrated big time. Loved this. They were mostly stand alone stories, but very fun.

6) Untold Tales of Spider-man: Busiek and Olliffe. Probably tied with Ultimate Spider-man for my favorite Spidey ever. These stories fit in between the original stuff. Busiek is a fantastic writer, and Olliffe may be one of the most underappreciated artists ever.

7) Astro City: The original 6 issue mini can stand up against anything, and the following ongoing is pretty good too. Plus, the fantastic Alex Ross covers are a perfect compliment to Anderson's interiors.

8) Waid/Garney run on Captain America. I don't think I've ever been so angered by a creative team shakeup as when I found out that ROB LIEFELD was going to be breaking up this fantastic run to do his version in Heroes Reborn. My favorite Cap run by far. They came back to it later on, but it just didn't have the same magic as that late end run.

9) Mantra, Prime, Evil Ernie (1st couple of mini series), Fatale, Savage Dragon, Marvel Boy, The Sentry (original) Inhumans (Paul Jenkins/ Jae Lee) ....I kind of lumped some together here. Loved all of them. No one seems to care or mention them.

10) The Last Avengers Story: My all time favorite Marvel series. Numero uno. It was only a 2 issue limited series, but it still stands as one of the best things Marvel has ever done. Peter David and BEAUTIFULLY painted art by Ariel Olivetti. This was a future Avengers story before that kind of story was commonplace. If you like the Avengers, or Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne in particular, you owe it to yourself to read this.

Again, The Authority named a bunch that I would have, but figured I'd add in some.

I could probably add 10 more, but I'll see if anyone cares about these first lol

Starman was golden. Anything with BWS art deserves to be on this list. A legend for certain. I'm also with you on Harbinger, Magnus, I'd throw in early Solar, and my favorite Valiant series was Bloodshot.

Untold Tales of Spider-man is never mentioned anywhere but it was a great run. Nice pick (thumbs u

I still read Astro City. Great series with great covers. These aren't leaving my collection either.

Waid's Cap was truly awesome. He and Brubaker have done superb modern age Cap stories. The covers of the run by Garney were some of the best from any era. Excellent pick. :cloud9:

Now her is how you know we're doppelgangers. Lots of people are going to love the other stuff on the list but Mantra ? Get out of here. lol Prime was cool but Mantra really stands out as somewhat ahead of it's time.

I bought 3 sets of Sentry this year. Never get tired of it. That and the Inhumans story that you mentioned have art by my favorite modern artist. The Sentry covers were amazing but the Inhumans, especially #1 was the Everest of his career imo. When I see Black Bolt or the Sentry, I think of Jae Lee and only Jae Lee :applause:

The Last Avengers Story was something I read maybe a year after it came out but you're right. Its outstanding. Peter David is an all time favorite of mine. He writes stories that are easy to understand and to relate to. Future Imperfect, X-Factor, and the Hulk run he did are always at home in my PC.

Really fun list :applause:

..and the best hero book in years...

Invincible - If you really want proof that A. Superheroes are nearly a done deal and that B. Great stories lose out to slick marketing, here it is. If someone asked me to name the single best superhero ever created, I'd have to throw Invincible in the mix. A character with Superman like powers and armed with the wit of early Spider-man/Peter Parker. He faces threats on Earth equal or greater than anything Marvel or DC characters have ever had to battle. How about aliens ? The Avengers and the Fantastic Four would be hard pressed to find better ones. Want love, hate, betrayal, and battles ?

There is no better superhero book on the market. Period. Yet, the most recent available sales data available from Comichron.com lets us know that around 12,500 care enough to buy an issue. Almost no speculators support the series so the number is readers but how sad is it that what is arguably the best cape book on the market almost 2 to 1 by books that Marvel and DC are ready to cancel ? In fact, Invincible was beaten by 171 other comics in June is terms of orders. Since we like to speculate here, I'd bet over 50 of those books were driven by covers and not content. Just a guess.

Written by the creator of The Walking Dead, Mark Grayson is today's Peter Parker coming up in a much more vicious world. This book is as good as it gets....

Invincible is still my favorite comic (thumbs u

Another book not mentioned yet I'd like to see return and finish the story is "The Stuff of Legend."

This reminds me. I bought a bunch of The Stuff of Legend but where do you start reading them ?

Some mentioned:

I was also extremely bummed to see the end of Crossgen. Negation was such a great book. I hoped that Marvel would restart Negation, Sojourn, or Scion. But they went with a few other relaunches that weren't my favorite the 1st time around. I thought Sojourn had a real chance with Land working at Marvel. I'd love to know if there was a reason they didn't pursue those titles.

I'm dying to know how Negation War was going to end. I vaguely recall seeing scripts that were released about the intentions.

Rising Stars started well for me, but the different arc artists and super long delays absolutely killed it. The last artist was a major thumbs-up down for me. Midnight Nation, on the other hand, was glorious.

Glad someone brought up the original Sentry and Inhumans by Lee. Both really solid books. Sentry probably should have been that mini and never saw the light of day again. That Inhumans story was the 1st time I ever gave a dizzle about the characters. Made Medusa almost seem like a horror juggernaut with Lee's art.

Great call on Daytripper. Absolutely a book that most would yawn at. I couldn't have praised those 2 more when I saw them at the Denver Comic Con. Heart wrenching tale.

Patrick

..and another would be...

Black Science - This is a wild sci fi book that travels through dimensions ? An onion ? Everything except time. The concept is fantastic. They must keep moving to find their way back and every move they make is a trip to somewhere just as dangerous, if not more, than the place they just left. Add that to the fact that they can't control where the main group of characters will end up and you have yourself a very fine book with excellent art. The covers are even better than the interiors.

This series was selling for over $40 a set for #1 - #5 and #2B was fetching over $20 by itself at one point due to perceived rarity or real rarity. Its impossible to know. I'm behind on this series but like many in this thread, waiting to catch up appears to have been the right call.

This is possibly my favorite ongoing. The book definitely took a big hit in art quality when Dean White left though.

I think the Godworld arc was slow, and kind of a bizarre way to take Grant on that personal journey, but still a good read. This book does a great job of balancing big picture story telling, with making individual issues matter.

Starman and Hitman ongoing and Sandman Mystery Theatre back issues are fond teenage memories.

Starman was a superb series. I remember saving a copy of Previews or Wizard because it had a big piece on the next arcs and I it felt like a treat to find out what was coming. Can't think of a series since that had such a great grasp on setting (Opal City and Turk County are so well realised).

Thinking about it, Starman would make a great show.

LOW... maybe not as popular as it once was, but I think it's not a bad read.

Great read and still popular with me. The setting of this story is :eek:

Beautiful art, but hard to discern for me. It made it fatiguing.

I had the same problem. It made every issue feel like a chore, or like the pacing was incredibly slow.

It seems I read or have read everything the Authority likes except for ironically enough The Authority.

Love Rat Queens, Invincible, Walking Dead, BEK, Todd, Enormous

Haha ! The Authority isn't the groundbreaking book it was at it's inception as it's been copied even by the books it borrowed from originally. Still, a great read. (thumbs u

I put the Authority in the same vein as Dark Knight Returns.

It was mind blowing and game changing at the time, but because it was done in the past, it's been used as the "gold standard" so often it doesn't seem as impactful today. But both are books that changed how and what stories were told.

What about Unwritten? A great story, an attempt at an explanatory modern mythology (that will probably never see other media formats - it would probably be a licensing headache? I'm not lawyer), but most haven't ever picked it up.

We shall see. My friend has been bugging me to read it for the last 2 years, picked up trade 1 last night and will start reading it this week.