• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

...there was also...

New X-men - issues starting from #114 through the #130s and maybe a little higher, were completely awesome. Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely ? Are you kidding me ? I ran across this run in TPB as I'm going through these boxes. I have the originals too but almost never pull them out because I want them to remain pristine. These are special.

While Morrison's take on JLA took characters like Batman and Martian Manhunter to godlike levels of power, New X-men completely redesigned both the looks and attitudes of most of the mutants in the books. Even better than that, very, very interesting new characters were introduced to us and man were they fun.

Cassandra Nova, Sentinels, and the obliteration of Genosha start the series off and you know you're in for a ride. A side note. When I was a kid in the '70s and early '80s, Cyclops was my favorite X-men. He was the good guy in the way that Superman was but he was also the field leader of the team. In this series, he is once again that guy....with swagger and a little edge to him. Loving Jean Grey while desiring Emma Frost was a completely new dynamic. It used to be that Jean Grey was the center of the love triangle. Cyclops had more edge now and was a bad, bad man. Not an easy recovery for a character that for years, seemed dulled down....back to the story.

As if bringing back badass Sentinels weren't enough, Morrison brought the Shi'ar empire back to...the mansion. The X-men seemed both more powerful and more vulnerable than ever. Characters like Xorn, Fantomex, Quenton Quire ( a very powerful and unstable guy ), and other new characters made each new issue a must read. Quitely' art and perception of the X-men was very unique and took a few issues to get used to. Looking back, I imagined reading these stories must as a kid would have probably been like reading Silver age Marvel comics new as a kid. You never knew what to expect.

These X-men turned out to be the foundation for the X-men movies much the way Mark Millar's The Ultimates were used in the Avengers movies. I could go on for hours about this series but would simply suggest that you read it if you haven't but it still holds up well and buy the originals. They will be in demand at some point...

Morrison's run on X-men is series I've really come to appreciate lately. I was in third grade when he started his run on the series and I didn't like the new look he had given the team, so I just stayed away from it. I started reading it recently and really started to appreciate his writing on it. Quitely's art also helps to make this a unique and memorable run as one of the top x-men story lines.

Ten Grand was a big disappointment for me, I felt like I was far from alone in that. I think the timing of it may have set up too many expectations. Maybe a lot of people were looking for a Hellblazer replacement (talk about some good modern stories that no one much seems to care about...) like me and just wanted something different... I'm not sure.

You weren't the only one.

It started okay, but went south fairly quickly.

The art went real horrible around issue #7.

Patrick

...there was also...

New X-men - issues starting from #114 through the #130s and maybe a little higher, were completely awesome. Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely ? Are you kidding me ? I ran across this run in TPB as I'm going through these boxes. I have the originals too but almost never pull them out because I want them to remain pristine. These are special.

While Morrison's take on JLA took characters like Batman and Martian Manhunter to godlike levels of power, New X-men completely redesigned both the looks and attitudes of most of the mutants in the books. Even better than that, very, very interesting new characters were introduced to us and man were they fun.

Cassandra Nova, Sentinels, and the obliteration of Genosha start the series off and you know you're in for a ride. A side note. When I was a kid in the '70s and early '80s, Cyclops was my favorite X-men. He was the good guy in the way that Superman was but he was also the field leader of the team. In this series, he is once again that guy....with swagger and a little edge to him. Loving Jean Grey while desiring Emma Frost was a completely new dynamic. It used to be that Jean Grey was the center of the love triangle. Cyclops had more edge now and was a bad, bad man. Not an easy recovery for a character that for years, seemed dulled down....back to the story.

As if bringing back badass Sentinels weren't enough, Morrison brought the Shi'ar empire back to...the mansion. The X-men seemed both more powerful and more vulnerable than ever. Characters like Xorn, Fantomex, Quenton Quire ( a very powerful and unstable guy ), and other new characters made each new issue a must read. Quitely' art and perception of the X-men was very unique and took a few issues to get used to. Looking back, I imagined reading these stories must as a kid would have probably been like reading Silver age Marvel comics new as a kid. You never knew what to expect.

These X-men turned out to be the foundation for the X-men movies much the way Mark Millar's The Ultimates were used in the Avengers movies. I could go on for hours about this series but would simply suggest that you read it if you haven't but it still holds up well and buy the originals. They will be in demand at some point...

Morrison's run on X-men is series I've really come to appreciate lately. I was in third grade when he started his run on the series and I didn't like the new look he had given the team, so I just stayed away from it. I started reading it recently and really started to appreciate his writing on it. Quitely's art also helps to make this a unique and memorable run as one of the top x-men story lines.

As a GM fanboy, i can't agree more. NXM was a great run. A lot of layers beyond the facade that you can decrypt once you sit down and think about what you just read.

I absolutely love the Morrison run on X Men, one of my favorite runs of any X Men comic. I did have issues with it here and there, but overall I felt it was top notch. One of the first runs I reread when I got back into collecting a few years back, I've since picked up any #128, #115, and #132 I can find on the cheap. I also look for newsstand versions of #150 (the "final" death of Jean Grey, I think).

...there was also...

Morrison's New X-Men was 114-154 and the 2001 Annual. Less than 25% of the run had Quitely interiors, although he did do some additional covers (closer to 50%).

Cyclops had just returned from a rough experience as a result of the events in X-Men 97. You can't expect a character to disappear like that for a (real world) year without consequences.

The first movie hit theaters almost a year before the first issue of this run hit the shelves.

It's a great run, but does it really fit this thread? Except for a few issues more recently, the run was never worth anything, was it? It's also hard to call it forgotten or say it didn't live up to its potential.

My bad and thanks for the correction. (thumbs u I got the order wrong but I still believe Morrison had some influence on the X-men we see today. Much edgier after him than before. As for the Quitely art, its a take what you can get thing with me. Those covers remain amazing art to me.

I remember the deal with Cyclops. Still think they made him more of a badass than ever before.

The series certainly should be on the list. I'm bringing up books that have more value than what is cost to read them. This run qualifies.

I'm in the minority of comic fans that just doesn't love Morrison and his work. I like his passion and appreciate his contribution, but I typically don't love his work.

I like the idea of Fantomex though.

I am not a fan of his either. A lot of hype, very little decent work.

I'm in the minority of comic fans that just doesn't love Morrison and his work. I like his passion and appreciate his contribution, but I typically don't love his work.

I like the idea of Fantomex though.

Fantomex is going to be huge one day.

They started down that path and abandoned too quickly. Likely because of that horrible MAX mini they did.

Patrick

What about the 6th Gun and Peter panzerfaust? Is there a demand for those books at all? People were paying insane prices for those .

I suppose the question to ask is, "Were these really good books in their own right, or did they just get caught up in the hysteria that is fandom?" :grin:

I finally read the first Peter Panzerfaust TPB and I was completely underwhelmed given all of the hype that once surrounded it.

...there was also...

Morrison's New X-Men was 114-154 and the 2001 Annual. Less than 25% of the run had Quitely interiors, although he did do some additional covers (closer to 50%).

Cyclops had just returned from a rough experience as a result of the events in X-Men 97. You can't expect a character to disappear like that for a (real world) year without consequences.

The first movie hit theaters almost a year before the first issue of this run hit the shelves.

It's a great run, but does it really fit this thread? Except for a few issues more recently, the run was never worth anything, was it? It's also hard to call it forgotten or say it didn't live up to its potential.

What does worth have to do with the scope of the thread? Hitman back issues were never really worth anything but they are quite good and the series was popular during it's run the same as the Morrison X-men.

What does worth have to do with the scope of the thread? Hitman back issues were never really worth anything but they are quite good and the series was popular during it's run the same as the Morrison X-men.

Most, if not all, of the titles mentioned in this thread were (relatively) valuable at some point. I thought the large drop in prices showing that they are forgotten runs was the basic premise, judging by the first few posts.

I disagree that Morrison's New X-Men is forgotten, regardless of prices. But I'm also pretty sure the run (as a whole) is more valuable than ever right now.

Regarding Hitman, I think the early issues were fairly hot and know his earlier appearances were hot. Yes, that was a different time and calling Hitman a "modern" is ridiculous, but that's a whole other issue.

..and for something a little newer...

Southern Bastards - This book is amazing and the initial hysteria it caused is hilarious based on the ending of issue #4. I love this story. It isn't hard to describe if you grew up watching shows about crooked dealings in southern towns or the original Walking Tall/Buford Pusser movies...except, there is a LOT more to it than that. Jason Aaron pulls from his own early surroundings and Jason LaTour gets the "dirty" art down to a science. I wish this was a monthly but always worth the wait as long as you don't like predictable stories...

+1

I love this book. I grew up in the rural Alabama where all of this was pretty much a reality.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead was also from Morrison's X-Men run, though very different power-wise to the one in the Deadpool film, although both are quite goth-looking.

Next we have...

The Bunker - what can you say about a really cool premise that was executed about as well as a comic book can be ? Well, for some reason, people quit reading it because sales were really poor relative to the quality of the book. To me, this is probably the best story so far that is on this list. I could give you a review but this is easier...

The Bunker reviews

While originally a spec darling with one cover of #1 selling for $15 and the other sold in the $20 range. Most recently, a CGC 9.8 blue sold for $11 while a CGC SS yellow sold for $20 on ebay. While these sold in CGC 9.8 for around $40 in June, even that seems nuts to me. :screwy:

This is the 2nd Oni book on the list...there will be more...

I'm still buying The Bunker and haven't missed an issue. Yes, I'm the one

Me too, still in this to the end. If this ever gets picked up for TV...

Another book not mentioned yet I'd like to see return and finish the story is "The Stuff of Legend."

This reminds me. I bought a bunch of The Stuff of Legend but where do you start reading them ?

The Stuff of Legend 1-2

The Stuff of Legend: The Jungle 1-4

The Stuff of Legend: Jester's Tale 1-4

The Stuff of Legend: Toy Collector 1-5

(thumbs u