• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

What about the 6th Gun and Peter panzerfaust? Is there a demand for those books at all? People were paying insane prices for those .

You can still get decent money for Sixth Gun #1 and Peter Panzerfaust #1, though neither book is selling for nearly as much as they were at one point.

What about the 6th Gun and Peter panzerfaust? Is there a demand for those books at all? People were paying insane prices for those .

I suppose the question to ask is, "Were these really good books in their own right, or did they just get caught up in the hysteria that is fandom?" :grin:

Sixth gun IS that good !!

If so, you should take any opportunity to buy them when someone is offloading them. ;)

I have plenty. I hope if reading comics ever becomes a thing again, this book is rediscovered.

Haha ! Novel concept. It seems only 1 page matters to a large percentage of collectors at this moment, the cover. I think that has more to do with rising and sinking prices than the quality of the stories. There is little to no attachment to a book if the cover is the only page you see. Marvel is even putting characters on the cover that don't appear in the book. People are buying a picture and getting it framed in a plastic case. lol

...next...

Clone. This book was incredibly hot 3 years ago. Its the reason I learned of comicsheatingup.net as they were the first site to have inside info prior to an SDCC announcement about a TV deal. This was big news at the time and was a special bonus for those actually reading the story at that time. The art was/is unique and the interiors were every bit as good as the covers. Orphan Black probably killed any chance of this becoming a TV show but it was fun while it lasted.

the-cape-1_zpshvpyvgub.jpg

Joe Hill's The Cape is a series that doesn't get the love that it should. It has solid writing and great art. Check it out if you haven't already.

Never read this but the art looks fantastic and this Joe Hill guy ? Probably a solid bet. lol

As I get older the hobby constantly being about the next big thing gets less and less entertaining. The medium of modern books seems so ephemeral - this cool thread (thanks!) sums it up pretty well.

Some really great series get ignored by the public at large, the secondary market often doesn't ignore them but they burn through any potential interest in a few short months, and then the book falls to the ash pile (eBay) of history unless TV or movie news surfaces. It's boring, but even more to the point, it absolutely drives much of the behavior of the publishers.

...and...

Letter 44 - Charles Soule at his very very best. Issue #1 was only $1. A great way to get people to try your book. The series has been outstanding. I bought this as a spec book and fell in love with it. While the art took a minute to get used to ( the faces are VERY stylized ) , the writing was perfect from the 1st issue. Once you read the letter, you'll be hooked. There was an SDCC issue (500 copies) that at one time brought $30 plus per copy.

Keep your eyes open for the #1 2nd print. The #7 with the Joelle Jones cover rocks. I'd suggest buying any of her small print run stuff. She is remarkably talented.

Super buy right now. A Phantom #1 recently brought $13. A CGC 9.8, just over $20. A set of 1-20 ? Only $10 or 50 cents each. If anyone else decides to sell runs at 50 cents each, please contact me so you don't have ebay fees too. Same for most of the books on this list. :grin:

The art was the killer for me on this book. It was just... bad. Not to my liking at all.

Any permutation of Peter Pan is doomed to failure in the U.S. Hollywood has tried and tried again with the character and it is clear that the character is well past his expiration date. It probably won't stop someone from trying and failing again though.

...and...

Letter 44 - Charles Soule at his very very best. Issue #1 was only $1. A great way to get people to try your book. The series has been outstanding. I bought this as a spec book and fell in love with it. While the art took a minute to get used to ( the faces are VERY stylized ) , the writing was perfect from the 1st issue. Once you read the letter, you'll be hooked. There was an SDCC issue (500 copies) that at one time brought $30 plus per copy.

Keep your eyes open for the #1 2nd print. The #7 with the Joelle Jones cover rocks. I'd suggest buying any of her small print run stuff. She is remarkably talented.

Super buy right now. A Phantom #1 recently brought $13. A CGC 9.8, just over $20. A set of 1-20 ? Only $10 or 50 cents each. If anyone else decides to sell runs at 50 cents each, please contact me so you don't have ebay fees too. Same for most of the books on this list. :grin:

Letter 44 is still one of my favs to read each month.

I'm afraid it will die every month, but at least it's at a company that carries books with lower print runs.

Patrick

Current book on this path is Drifter.

What a great series and fantastic art. The 1st couple definitely left you wondering if the series had a point. But the last arc has been great.

Probably a series that will be lost.

Clone should have never ended. It was exciting each issue.

I WANT Copperhead back!

Patrick

i'm not giving up on Uber yet....these however i should be able to dump and not look back

No Place Like Home

Hell Yeah

Mind the Gap

Bedlam

Chin Music

Bounce

Dancer

Mind the Gap is the title that (finally) got my wife into reading comics. After which she moved on to Rachel Rising, Fatale, and Revival. She loved Bedlam and is currently reading Sex Criminals in TPB. Out of all those titles Rachel Rising is the only one that still commands a premium in the secondary market, so out of respect for my wallet I'm trying to learn to wait for the hype to die down before introducing her to new titles, and picking up TPBs for non-investment stuff.

Current book on this path is Drifter.

What a great series and fantastic art. The 1st couple definitely left you wondering if the series had a point. But the last arc has been great.

Probably a series that will be lost.

Clone should have never ended. It was exciting each issue.

I WANT Copperhead back!

Patrick

Copperhead was a book on my list. The 10th issue came out over 7 or 8 months ago. Still waiting on #11. Such a great read. (thumbs u

Two points:

1. There are just many good books competing with each other.

2. Variants and subsequent printings from the Big 2 add to the competition.

Am I right in saying that only TWD and Saga are the only remaining relevant titles from Image? It pains me saying this since Manhattan Projects is my favorite.

Two points:

Am I right in saying that only TWD and Saga are the only remaining relevant titles from Image? It pains me saying this since Manhattan Projects is my favorite.

East of West is still pushing 20,000 readers or close to it and they are on issue #29. I still both buy them cheap and sell them for about double my investment after fees. Its about as sure a thing as anything else I sell but never a homerun. Monstress and Southern Bastards are winners too.

Two points:

You would probably be correct, depending of course on how you defined relevant, but I wouldn't argue with that statement... Though I may mention Invincible, but really only the first issue seems very hot.

I'm right there with you on Manhattan Projects, I now believe it was a mistake when they went to series of miniseries and now I don't even know when (or if) I'll see another issue.

Two points:

Monstress is doing very well especially overseas. Ive sold all my 1s to people either going back and forth or living in Asia. It helps the book is beautiful and a good read.

..and another would be...

Black Science - This is a wild sci fi book that travels through dimensions ? An onion ? Everything except time. The concept is fantastic. They must keep moving to find their way back and every move they make is a trip to somewhere just as dangerous, if not more, than the place they just left. Add that to the fact that they can't control where the main group of characters will end up and you have yourself a very fine book with excellent art. The covers are even better than the interiors.

This series was selling for over $40 a set for #1 - #5 and #2B was fetching over $20 by itself at one point due to perceived rarity or real rarity. Its impossible to know. I'm behind on this series but like many in this thread, waiting to catch up appears to have been the right call.