• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns soon forgotten...

207 posts in this topic

..and for something a little newer...

Southern Bastards - This book is amazing and the initial hysteria it caused is hilarious based on the ending of issue #4. I love this story. It isn't hard to describe if you grew up watching shows about crooked dealings in southern towns or the original Walking Tall/Buford Pusser movies...except, there is a LOT more to it than that. Jason Aaron pulls from his own early surroundings and Jason LaTour gets the "dirty" art down to a science. I wish this was a monthly but always worth the wait as long as you don't like predictable stories...

I think if your including Southern Bastards you may want to include Enormous to the list.

More great titles/runs being mentioned here. Which reminds me I still need to read Stormwatch/Authority/Planetary and Gotham Central.

Other good reads:

Power of Shazam, great stories and painted covers by Ordway.

Sandman Mystery Theater, golden age noir goodness by Wagner and co.

Perhaps some of these modern age books will be worth something in the future, after all early copper books are starting to pick up in price a bit. Not saying they will put your kids through college or anything but not dollar box stuff either.

Southern Bastards - This book is amazing and the initial hysteria it caused is hilarious based on the ending of issue #4. I love this story. It isn't hard to describe if you grew up watching shows about crooked dealings in southern towns or the original Walking Tall/Buford Pusser movies...except, there is a LOT more to it than that. Jason Aaron pulls from his own early surroundings and Jason LaTour gets the "dirty" art down to a science. I wish this was a monthly but always worth the wait as long as you don't like predictable stories...

I think if your including Southern Bastards you may want to include Enormous to the list.

Yes, definitely planned on getting to that one. A personal favorite.

More great titles/runs being mentioned here. Which reminds me I still need to read Stormwatch/Authority/Planetary and Gotham Central.

Other good reads:

Power of Shazam, great stories and painted covers by Ordway.

Sandman Mystery Theater, golden age noir goodness by Wagner and co.

Perhaps some of these modern age books will be worth something in the future, after all early copper books are starting to pick up in price a bit. Not saying they will put your kids through college or anything but not dollar box stuff either.

Yep. This isn't a list of cheap or expensive books. Instead, its a list of stories that were/are great based on content rather than covers, though some are great at both. See Ex Machina for an example of that. Many of these were spec darlings and despite what some would lead you to believe. Many do quite well on the secondary market. Some don't and those are absolute steals.

Mainly, these are books I'm keeping as I remove unwanted titles from my PC (thumbs u

...okay...

Enormous - WOW ! What can we say about this book. Art that is so different from any other comic, it can't help but stand out in the crowd. A talented writer ( who happens to be one of my favorite people on the boards ) who happens to be spreading his wings with a couple of new books on the way.

I think this book has fallen victim to a couple of things.

The first was the change in numbering. Hellboy and some other titles suffer from this. Contrary to what some believe, if there is no secondary market, we're all paying a LOT of money for something no more valuable than a newspaper. Breaking up the continuity of the run certainly didn't help those who collect full runs. No need to go back to collect and therefore, at least a temporary shot to the value of the initial 6 comics. People tend to look for stable and solid ground (read ongoing series ) for serious appreciation over time. New #1's devalue old #1's to a degree.

The second and probably more frustrating thing for a collector was the 50 to 100 print run shop copies. If you're on the outside looking in and having to pay more than $3 per copy for a new, unestablished book, this is a turn off. DC and Marvel do this with their variants and I think thats why they have fewer people buying more books to support their market.

You can't fault the writing or the art on this book as both rock ! This was more of a picking winners and therefore, creating losers where the only goal should be creating readers. This happens across all companies and I don't think they ever catch on until they lose momentum.

What this has in common with Southern Bastards is scheduling. There are just SO many new books, if you fall behind, many people seem to move on. No matter, this book is another that stays in my collection...

...one more before bed....

Five Ghosts - this book was amazing and I hope it makes a comeback. Its amazing that more people didn't support the series and was the first book to make me realize that no matter how great something looks and reads, Image comics has promotional limitations. Had this been a Marvel book, my guess is that it would not only sell over 50,000 copies a month but would have been made into a movie. It had a Raiders of the Lost Ark type of feel without being a copycat.

Frank was a regular on these boards for a couple of years and I miss hearing from him. Chris made a few cameo appearances here too. How great was his art ? Awesome is good start but doesn't completely describe his talent. This book rocked :headbang:

I love this series, and I actually got to talk with Frank on Free Comic Book Day this year, and he said that Chris is in demand right now, and that's why they've postponed the book for a while. He said that he is hoping to get back to writing the book later this year, so fingers crossed that we'll see Five Ghosts return next year. :wishluck:

Five Ghosts - this book was amazing and I hope it makes a comeback. Its amazing that more people didn't support the series and was the first book to make me realize that no matter how great something looks and reads, Image comics has promotional limitations. Had this been a Marvel book, my guess is that it would not only sell over 50,000 copies a month but would have been made into a movie. It had a Raiders of the Lost Ark type of feel without being a copycat.

Frank was a regular on these boards for a couple of years and I miss hearing from him. Chris made a few cameo appearances here too. How great was his art ? Awesome is good start but doesn't completely describe his talent. This book rocked :headbang:

I love this series, and I actually got to talk with Frank on Free Comic Book Day this year, and he said that Chris is in demand right now, and that's why they've postponed the book for a while. He said that he is hoping to get back to writing the book later this year, so fingers crossed that we'll see Five Ghosts return next year. :wishluck:

Thanks for sharing (thumbs u

He used to come on the boards and keep us up to date but his plate looks absolutely full judging by all of the books he's been writing.

I loved Mooneyham's art so much that I bought 8 pages from Five Ghosts. The use of heavy black lines makes them pages pop. I would love to see it return.

So why oh why aren't these books worth anything as back issues? hm

Because a great story doesn't equate to a desired book.

Which $#*($#*$# me off.

Patrick

Why would it?

1. Reading comic stories now is cheap and easy, with many formats available.

2. The people who know the story is great most likely already own it, so no extra demand there.

3. The people who know the story is great have to spread the word, but don't likely have a way to do so that doesn't get drowned out in the ocean of comic noise.

4. The speculators don't care how good a story is because they're barely intelligent, let alone literate.

Invincible #1 in CGC 9.8 is actually worth some good coin. Current 12 month GPA average price is $633 and there have been no reported sales in the last 90 days. This issue is not rare but it's actually hard to find in CGC 9.8.

There is currently only 1 copy for sale on EBAY and the price is over $1,000. If you are looking to purchase a copy for around GPA price it will most likely take you some time. IMO it's also a great read and probably the best super hero comic book that is published today.

The only reason any back issue has value is because of demand. And a big boost to demand is having the character still appearing somewhere (comics, TV, movies, etc.) That is why the Walking Dead early issues are valuable (the title is still being published, keeping interest and demand high) where back issues of many of the comics discussed here are not.

Marvel and DC's characters have a huge advantage over Independent characters in this regard. Once an Indy book ends and the title fades from memory, the back issue values stagnate and even go down. Marvel and DC superhero characters do not have this problem since they are constantly being written into new stories.

Of course there are always exceptions.

...and heeeeerrrreeesss....

Crossgen lol

Sojourn, Ruse, Sigil, Mystic, and especially Negation War #1.

Always fun to see somebody try something new. With creators like Mark Waid, Ron Marz, Greg Land, and Butch Guice, its hard to understand why this company didn't last. Ruse was a Sherlock Holmes type book with art that couldn't be beat...unless you check out Sojourn. Greg Land drew some of the prettiest pictures you'll ever see. Negation War #1 kind of points out the limits of a Superman like character. It was almost disturbing to read in the same way that Miracleman #14-15 were when they first came out.....

Crossgen suffered from the same issue current Valiant has, new superhero universe fatigue. It is very hard to get readers who are already wrapped up in a superhero universe to jump into another one. Cost, time, etc. all are a factor that work against the new publisher. Plus, for long time readers (which accounts for a bunch of current readers), they already have a bad taste in their mouth from jumping into the various new universes from the 1980s/1990s that failed (Valiant, Defiant, Ultraverse, Continuity, etc. - yes, even Crossgen)

...I've also run across...

JSA #1-87 - Geoff Johns made Flash great but this run was legendary. Who else could take a bunch of formerly popular characters and have them run right below DC's JLA in popularity ? Not only were the stories better than any other books featuring these old superheroes, and a few very interesting new ones, they were the best JSA ever. So what could make it even better ? How about Rag Morales and later issues featuring some of the coolest covers that Alex Ross ever did. Amazing...

This is the best run most people haven't read its that good. I loved it month in and month out best run of a book during that time period.

I swear to god....I think you and I have the exact same taste in comics. I keep meaning to add something to this thread, but then you go and do it for me lol

...and now...

30 Days of Night - This is the book that helped me discover Niles and Templesmith. The story is off the charts scary and the art has a super splatter creepy look. Perfect for this mini series. The movie doesn't compare to the book but it did have some tense moments....

Invincible #1 in CGC 9.8 is actually worth some good coin. Current 12 month GPA average price is $633 and there have been no reported sales in the last 90 days. This issue is not rare but it's actually hard to find in CGC 9.8.

There is currently only 1 copy for sale on EBAY and the price is over $1,000. If you are looking to purchase a copy for around GPA price it will most likely take you some time. IMO it's also a great read and probably the best super hero comic book that is published today.

I'd argue that it isn't rare. It certainly isn't common.

Alright, keep in mind that THE AUTHORITY has listed most of what I would have because we are the same person. Shills. lol Here's a few that I would like to add.

1) Starman. Starman still stands as one of my all time favorite DC series. Robinson hasn't repeated this magic since. I remember being upset that Harris left the book, but upon re-reading the series I actually don't mind as much. It's just the perfect book starring a reluctant hero, and explores so many often neglected corners of the DCU. I really feel like this is one of the most underrated DC series ever.

2) Archer & Armstrong: The original series. Barry Smith art. Buddy book. Just beautifully done.

3) The first 25 issues of Harbinger. This series spoke to me. I cared about these kids. I think the last few issues with Pete confronting Harada were some of the most exciting books I've ever read. Sure people still remember the early stuff fondly, but I really loved the first 25 issues.

4) Magnus Robot Fighter (1st series Valiant) + Rai and the Future Force:

Again, people remember the stuff up until a bit after Unity, but the Malev War was one of my favorite story lines ever. I really wish it had been collected.

((I just realized that I probably need to not keep adding Valiant books as there are a bunch more I would add and I'd like to add some variety here))

5) Mr Majestic (1st 6 issues) Joe Casey and Ed McGuinness. Underrated big time. Loved this. They were mostly stand alone stories, but very fun.

6) Untold Tales of Spider-man: Busiek and Olliffe. Probably tied with Ultimate Spider-man for my favorite Spidey ever. These stories fit in between the original stuff. Busiek is a fantastic writer, and Olliffe may be one of the most underappreciated artists ever.

7) Astro City: The original 6 issue mini can stand up against anything, and the following ongoing is pretty good too. Plus, the fantastic Alex Ross covers are a perfect compliment to Anderson's interiors.

8) Waid/Garney run on Captain America. I don't think I've ever been so angered by a creative team shakeup as when I found out that ROB LIEFELD was going to be breaking up this fantastic run to do his version in Heroes Reborn. My favorite Cap run by far. They came back to it later on, but it just didn't have the same magic as that late end run.

9) Mantra, Prime, Evil Ernie (1st couple of mini series), Fatale, Savage Dragon, Marvel Boy, The Sentry (original) Inhumans (Paul Jenkins/ Jae Lee) ....I kind of lumped some together here. Loved all of them. No one seems to care or mention them.

10) The Last Avengers Story: My all time favorite Marvel series. Numero uno. It was only a 2 issue limited series, but it still stands as one of the best things Marvel has ever done. Peter David and BEAUTIFULLY painted art by Ariel Olivetti. This was a future Avengers story before that kind of story was commonplace. If you like the Avengers, or Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne in particular, you owe it to yourself to read this.

Again, The Authority named a bunch that I would have, but figured I'd add in some.

I could probably add 10 more, but I'll see if anyone cares about these first lol