• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman: The Killing Joke cover art

85 posts in this topic

On the other hand, if someone offered me the cover for $300K right now with 30 seconds to decide, I'd take it and either sell it or use it as trade bait to get something I wanted more. I'd be highly confident of getting my money out and more in that scenario. 2c
How many Enric Vampirella paintings could you get for that? hm

I doubt you could even find $300K worth of Enric Vampi paintings to buy, lol...

Cause no one wants them but you :roflmao::kidaround:

I picked the $200K-$300K range for both cover and page. A big result for an '80s cover, but it'd be an absolute record for an interior panel page. (As far as I know! And not including the $448K DKR interior because it's a splash, and more importantly, an outlier.)

If someone offered me the page for $300K right now and said I had 30 seconds to decide whether to buy it or not (so I couldn't shop it to potential buyers first), I'd pass on it. I think it's cool, but I was never blown away by KJ (pretty art, yes, but overrated in terms of story and importance IMO), so would have no interest in owning it personally at that kind of price, and would not be confident of making a profit by trying to flip it (at least not enough to make it worth the time, effort and risk).

On the other hand, if someone offered me the cover for $300K right now with 30 seconds to decide, I'd take it and either sell it or use it as trade bait to get something I wanted more. I'd be highly confident of getting my money out and more in that scenario. 2c

Coming out of retirement to join the fun in this thread. The cover to me fetches $350K. Way too popular of a book, globally known, and while there have been some stunners sold in the past few years that have been grail-worthy, I think this would be right up there with some of the more marquee auctions.

The panel page is beautiful. I can't fathom a panel page going for more than $120K. That just doesn't happen, and while there's precedent with the Babs page, $120K is stupid money, and I'd rather hold off on another stunner of a cover and dump the money there. Covers to someone else's point earlier are overrated to some extent, but the serious money from serious buyers usually is spent on covers and cover-worthy splashes.

I picked the $200K-$300K range for both cover and page. A big result for an '80s cover, but it'd be an absolute record for an interior panel page. (As far as I know! And not including the $448K DKR interior because it's a splash, and more importantly, an outlier.)

If someone offered me the page for $300K right now and said I had 30 seconds to decide whether to buy it or not (so I couldn't shop it to potential buyers first), I'd pass on it. I think it's cool, but I was never blown away by KJ (pretty art, yes, but overrated in terms of story and importance IMO), so would have no interest in owning it personally at that kind of price, and would not be confident of making a profit by trying to flip it (at least not enough to make it worth the time, effort and risk).

Coming out of retirement to join the fun in this thread. The cover to me fetches $350K. Way too popular of a book, globally known, and while there have been some stunners sold in the past few years that have been grail-worthy, I think this would be right up there with some of the more marquee auctions.

The panel page is beautiful. I can't fathom a panel page going for more than $120K. That just doesn't happen, and while there's precedent with the Babs page, $120K is stupid money, and I'd rather hold off on another stunner of a cover and dump the money there. Covers to someone else's point earlier are overrated to some extent, but the serious money from serious buyers usually is spent on covers and cover-worthy splashes.

You mean "doesn't" like "won't" or "doesn't" like "logically shouldn't based upon the buying power of dollars against market dynamics and availability"?

Be cause I think one of those definitions is going down in flames, whereas reasonable people may likely see the merit in the other.

There are some decent indicators we can look at when it comes to panel pages, how much similar KJ, or other big-time panel pages have gone in the past. I think a lot of them are apples to oranges (this compared to the first panel appearance of Wolvie to me is a tough comparison. I think these these are two different targets/buyers on era alone, let alone a bunch of other factors). I think some of them though in terms of overall value, are spot-on. Either way, I want this page, if it ever does go up for auction, to break records. I find it beautiful, and the perfect encapsulation of the tone that little aside story on the Joker had in the book. It's a proper museum piece.

I'm no expert. I'm happy I'm not, because it makes things like these fun, and I get to dodge the accountability. This has been a fun thread to lurk and read over the past few days, right, gents and ladies?