• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL 2 starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
4 4

445 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Knew it wouldn’t be long before someone mentioned marvel.

Someone always mentions Marvel even when they were never referenced.

It hard not to say the M word of greatness 

The MCU formula is a litmus test in most people's minds when they see a comic book movie. Whether or not that's the correct method of viewing a movie - it definitely isn't BTW - it's simply a fact.

Your second sentence makes literally no sense. The MCU is Worlds of DC's primary competitor. People watch DC movies expecting a Batman/Superman version of Marvel. They aren't, and they never should be. Grounding someone's expectations to neutral by deconstructing their preconceived ideals is necessary for parity to be observed.

If Marvel was so great, why are half of their movies so mediocre? Thoughtless popcorn flicks, throwaway villains, and countless titles of trash on paper? Doesn't sound like such "greatness" to me.

[RUMOR] Henry Cavill May Have Signed a New Superman Contract

supermanheader-1-1024x485.jpg

It looks like Henry Cavill will don the red cape again after all, if the Man of Steel stream is any indication.

For years now, Henry’s attachment to the Superman role has been in question, despite the actor’s passion for the role and hopes for a return. With Warner Bros. seeming to lose interest in his portrayal, especially after the failure of Justice League in 2017, Cavill’s future as the big blue looked grim, and a reboot seemed imminent. However, in the Man of Steel livestream Wednesday that more or less broke the internet with the announcement of Zack Snyder’s Justice League on HBO Max, Cavill made an appearance—an exciting surprise for fans.

Cavill went on to post about the announcement on Instagram, expressing enthusiasm for the film and congratulating Snyder.

One comment, however, is where things get interesting. Cavill’s agent, Dany Garcia, left a very vague reply to the post.

“Exciting times…. 😉

Though this is not an official confirmation by any means, the simple comment seems to hint at bigger things to come for Cavill’s Superman. His appearance on the livestream may be interpreted as a sign that he has officially reclaimed the role of Superman, as a post from DCOlympus on Instagram theorizes.

“Here is the reason why Cavill was silent until today… he was under contract talks… now he has a new gross deal closed… this is not only for Snyder Cut… there is more coming…”

Cavill’s contract with Warner Bros. has been a source of contention for the two; it is quite possible he stayed quiet about Superman while negotiating with the studio, as he has asked to be paid more for his portrayal. Now it seems they have reached an agreement, and so Cavill was able to speak once more about the role. While on Snyder’s stream, Cavill even expressed his hopes for a trilogy of Superman films, and says he still has the costume.

Two years after departing the role, Henry Cavill is in talks to once again portray Clark Kent/Superman in films based on DC Comics, insiders with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap.

The extent of Cavill’s return to the role — whether just for additional work to be done for the upcoming “Snyder Cut” of “Justice League” or for appearances in future films — has not been disclosed.

The British actor first appeared as the superhero in 2013’s “Man of Steel,” followed in 2016 by “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and in 2017 by “Justice League.” He was set for further appearances in DC Comics movies, including a planned cameo in “Shazam!” but was instead abruptly let go from the job in late Summer, 2018.

After unconfirmed reports indicated that Henry Cavill was in talks to reprise his role as DC Extended Universe's Superman in an upcoming feature film, bookies at the gambling website Bovada have released their odds-on pick for where the actor could pop up.

So what do these sportbookies say is the best bet? It's an even split between the announced sequels to Aquaman and Shazam!

According to reports about the possibility of Cavill's return, he isn't expected to appear in Matt Reeves’ The Batman or any sort of Man of Steel sequel or Superman standalone film, but cites Shazam! 2 and Aquaman 2, along with Black Adam, as potential landing spots.

Keep in mind, DC wanted Cavill to reprise his role as Superman in the original Shazam!, however unspecified issues led to a stunt double donning Cavill's Justice League era suit to have a cameo from the neck-down in the movie's final moments.

Here's Bovada's odds in full - including on some films not even confirmed:

• Aquaman 2: Even
  • Shazam! 2: Even
  • Black Adam: +550
  • Justice League 2: +800
  • Man of Steel 2: +1000
  • Wonder Woman 1984: +2000

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's no way in Hel he appears in WW 1984.

You realize the first Wonder Woman movie was set in World War I, but there were scenes from the modern day, right?

WW 1984 will probably have scenes from the modern day.  Superman in those makes perfect sense.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

You realize the first Wonder Woman movie was set in World War I, but there were scenes from the modern day, right?

WW 1984 will probably have scenes from the modern day.  Superman in those makes perfect sense.

I don't think so.

Question: Do I support Wonder Woman 1984, or WB, in theaters even though HBO Max is the brand that is giving us the JL Snyder Cut?

I wasn't gonna see it, but, now that we're getting the real Justice League...

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think so.

Question: Do I support Wonder Woman 1984, or WB, in theaters even though HBO Max is the brand that is giving us the JL Snyder Cut?

I wasn't gonna see it, but, now that we're getting the real Justice League...

"I don't think so" and "no way in Hel" are two different statements.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

"I don't think so" and "no way in Hel" are two different statements.

Not really.

I don't think it makes sense, and since I'm the Arbiter of Truth, there's no way in Hel it'll happen. :devil:

"There's no way in Hel" that man is the father, he never even met that woman and was on another continent nine months ago.

"I don't think so" even though they were dating nine months ago.

They're not the same thing.

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

"There's no way in Hel" that man is the father, he never even met that woman and was on another continent nine months ago.

They're the same in context of prediction. "No way in Hel they release the Snyder Cut." "I don't think they'll release the Snyder Cut."

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They're the same in context of prediction. "No way in Hel they release the Snyder Cut." "I don't think they'll release the Snyder Cut."

Notice how both your examples are (also) wrong. lol

Rumors about Cavill returning as Superman have remained constant over the past few years. Cavill previously negotiated to make a cameo in 2019’s Shazam! Those talks fell through, however, leaving much frustration on both sides. The failure of prior attempts to get Cavill back into costume is one reason fans should take a wait-and-see approach to the current situation.

While it does appear things are different this time, in light of the AT&T purchase of Time Warner and last week’s announcement that the much-debated Snyder Cut will release on HBO Max, it’s always good to at least be mindful of the complexities of a situation so we don’t wind up having hopes dashed and feeling more disappointed again. A deal appears more likely now, however, because of changing attitudes and emerging options for Warner and HBO Max at a time when so many expectations and plans have been upended by the coronavirus pandemic.

If Cavill does sign on for additional Superman appearances besides his work for Zack Snyder’s Justice League, it will likely include a supporting role in the announced Shazam 2 project and/or the planned Black Adam film. Keep in mind, we’ve been hearing about Black Adam project for several years now, but we finally got a tentative release date of December 2021. Shazam 2 was supposed to begin production sometime this year.

However, those planned production starts and release dates almost certainly won’t happen as expected. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic means production can’t possibly get underway any time soon, and it’s unlikely they will get started in time to meet any 2021 release dates. Which brings up the larger point that, aside from voice work for Snyder’s new Justice League cut, it will be quite a while before Cavill could possibly be involved in any other DC movies anyway.

The point is, although we’ll see some additional work from Cavill as Superman in Justice League next year on HBO Max, nobody should assume we’ll see Cavill taking flight as the Man of Steel in any new live-action projects for quite a while. If the negotiations do work out as planned and include some new live-action appearances, the first will probably be Shazam 2 or Black Adam as well. I think there’s a good chance it will be both, with Cavill playing a sort of mentoring role to Billy in the Shazam! sequel and then fighting Black Adam in the spinoff project.

Some reports claim Cavill’s talks do not include an appearance in Black Adam, but that conflicts with some of what I’m hearing, and even if the initial discussions are focused on Shazam 2 and Zack Snyder’s Justice League, I’d be surprised if Black Adam isn’t still an understood on-the-table option depending on how the other situations go.

Superman has been an on-again, off-again proposition for Warner Bros. Multiple film projects have started and stalled, sequels planned and cancelled, and box office fortunes for completed films have been a mixed bag. Warner had up until recently decided to shelve the Man of Steel in favor of Supergirl, whom the studio wanted to use as a new approach to Kryptonian cinema. After that, Superman would be rebooted to fit into Supergirl’s established world. Now, however, it appears the film project Supergirl is shelved and Superman is back on Warner’s mind, although (so far) not for a direct solo sequel to Man of Steel nor in any currently active or developing solo film project of any sort.

Whether Cavill’s eventual agreement with Warner is limited to Zack Snyder’s Justice League, or also includes Shazam 2 and/or Black Adam, we’ll find out soon enough. And again, while I’m not trying to be a naysayer or downer, it is worth remembering these negotiations are ongoing. Not only could they wind up being more limited in scope, they could also include room for an option of additional appearances, without a commitment yet to what those might be.

Personally, my guess is the deal will be for Justice League and Shazam 2, plus at least an option for Black Adam if not a deal for it as well.