• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL 2 starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
4 4

445 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

Sorry you didn't enjoy this. I think Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut is great.

it's probably my favorite of the super hero movies. I think it's fantastic. It isn't predictable like the rest. I'd add Watchmen to the list along with Nolan's Trilogy.

After those, probably CA the first Avenger, Spider-man 1 + 2, Infinity War

Henry Cavill is returning to the DC Extended Universe one way or another. While it has yet to be seen if Cavill's new deal will result in Man of Steel 2, fans of Superman can't help but think Watchmen scribe Damon Lindelof and mega-producer J.J. Abrams could finally collaborate on a film featuring the Last Son of Krypton; after all, the latter has a cushy new overall deal with WarnerMedia and the two creatives have been frequent collaborators for decades. ComicBook.com recently caught up with Lindelof ahead of the release of his Watchmen series on home media this coming week and according to the writer, he's flattered to even be considered to write a story featuring one of the biggest superheroes ever created.

"It's immensely flattering to even be considered for ... I think that obviously he's up there with Batman and the two kind of the big two. It's incredibly daunting," Lindelof tells us. "I think the challenge with Superman is always going to be what does Superman mean in the contemporary framework? For a character, for a culture that's basically moved into this sphere of antiheroes, how do you make space for Superman who is sort of the original superhero?"

That's when Lindelof points out the fact Abrams had previously written a -script for a Superman feature all the way back in 2002. As the writer puts it, the studio was looking to pit Superman and Batman against each other long before the DCEU and Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice came around.

"But it's interesting that you mentioned J.J. because long before I worked with him on Lost, J.J. actually wrote a Superman -script that never got made for a variety of reasons mostly of which I think is like that Wolfgang Petersen was trying to make a Superman Versus Batman movie," the writer adds. "They were also trying to do JLA. This was all before Chris Nolan came in and basically took over Batman, et cetera, but it all kind of just got lost in the wash. He's had a long-term obsession with Superman. I guess what I would say is I would love to see a J.J. Superman movie, but I don't have a take on the character that would be better than that."

If Henry Cavill has his way, he’s not done playing Superman. Since 2013, the British actor has donned the Man of Steel’s tights and cape for three blockbusters — “Man of Steel,” “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Justice League” — set in Warner. Bros’ DC Universe.

In an interview for Variety‘s Actors on Actors issue, Cavill told Patrick Stewart that he hopes to continue playing Superman for years to come.

“I’ve always been a fan of Superman,” said Cavill, who is 37. “With a character like that, you carry the mantle with you off set. And it becomes part of your public representation. When you meet children, children don’t necessarily see me as Henry Cavill, but they might see Superman, and there’s a responsibility which comes with that. Because it’s such a wonderful character, it’s actually a responsibility I’m happy to have, and I hope that I get to play more of Superman in years to come.”

Cavill did not specify how he’d play Superman in future films. A story in Deadline last month reported that he was in talks to return to the character, but not necessarily in a stand-alone film.

“My life has changed dramatically because of it,” Cavill said. “And it has given me plenty of opportunity for roles, and yeah, it’s been one of those characters which changed the entire course of my career. I’m incredibly grateful for it, and it’s also taught me a lot about myself.”

Stewart asked Cavill to elaborate.

“He’s so good, he’s so kind, and when you start to compare yourself to him, because you’re playing him, you start to really look inwards,” Cavill said. “You say, ‘Am I a good person? Can I be a good enough person to play Superman?’ And if you ever hear a whisper in there which is like, ‘Hmm, hold on a second. Maybe not,” then you adjust it, and you make sure you are a better person. I think that’s all we can do in life.”

21 minutes ago, The Brain said:

^ Please   :wishluck:

The video interview between Patrick Stewart and Henry Cavill within the article conveys how much he appreciates this character. He's the one! :wishluck:

Few superheroes have the cultural and historical significance of Superman. The 82-year-0ld character is a staple of American pop-culture and has had a worldwide impact through many mediums. First gracing the comic pages in 1938, the Man of Steel made his way into the world feature films.

From the unmatchable charisma, charm, and smile of Christopher Reeve’s Superman to the humble, stoic, and heroic nature of Henry Cavill’s Superman, the character has had an incredible history in cinema. Yet, in that history, there have been gaps and pitfalls in the character’s legacy on film, and it boils down to evolution and nostalgia.

Respect Christopher Reeve. Do Not Replicate Him
Christopher Reeve was iconic. The man exemplified Superman on and off-camera. It’s not hard to see how 1978’s Superman: The Movie changed cinema and forced the world to take Superman as a serious character in the medium. Richard Donner’s impact on the character was both a gift to Superman’s legacy, but it also brought an unexpected curse.

“Superman: The Movie is still to this day the archetype of the perfect superhero film origin story and we watch it before we make almost any one of our films, said Marvel President Kevin Feige.

Safe to say there would be no modern superhero movie craze if Christopher Reeve did not don the cape. While Reeve deserves all his flowers for being the most iconic actor/hero combo in cinematic history, the flip-side to this would be the audience’s complete devotion to his iteration, stunting his growth. After the success of the first two Superman films, the character saw a slump. Behind the scenes issues watered down the hero to a comedic tone in Superman III, while budget issues and reshoots hurt Superman IV, overall ending Reeve’s tenure as the hero on a less-than-stellar note.

Bringing Superman To The Modern Age
Henry Cavill was cast as Superman under the direction of Zack Snyder for 2013’s Man of Steel. Cavill, on paper, provided everything one would look for in a Superman. Physically, the actor carried a look comparable to the comic book that birthed Superman. In on-screen personality, Cavill provided the best Superman since Christopher Reeve. Both actors carried a sense of grace during their time in the role, with each excelling in bringing out different strengths of Superman.

"In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen," Snyder said to The Hollywood Reporter on Cavill’s casting. “He is the perfect choice to don the cape and 'S' shield."

If Reeve captured the heart of Superman, Cavill captured his soul. In 2013’s Man of Steel, audiences find Superman in a different place than previous films. The character was on a larger journey of self-discovery that would require multiple films to truly explore. Throughout that journey, there are shades to Superman’s immigrant roots, nods to his Golden Age beginnings, and a strong sense to bring him into the 21st century. This was a Superman in a Post-9/11 world, a world with different sensibilities, fears, and faults than the Post-Vietnam War era of Reeve’s film.

The critical reception of Man of Steel and its sequel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, paint a story worth analyzing. Glancing through the Rotten Tomatoes page of both films, there is a common thread line of pointing out the lack of humor, the apparent absence of fun, and the lack of a Christopher Reeve feel. While the earlier two points are debatable to the eye of the critics, the last point is why the critics failed these films.

“Someone said, “It’s so dark,” producer Deborah Snyder said to Forbes about Superman in 2016. I go, “Well, is it dark? He’s going through real problems that we go through as people every day.” To me that’s not dark, that’s life. We’re complicated people. And we’re making him in that way more relatable.”

As established above, the devotion to Reeve’s Superman had the side-effect of not accepting anything else. This is not present for other superheroes and is directly tied to Superman. The subtext of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman is the world we live in today. What would Superman look like in today’s America? Unfortunately, this country is not a utopia, and the world is not lemon drops and gumdrops. The world does not need a bright Superman, it frankly needed a real one. Yet it is the nostalgia that kept the world from embracing this Superman. Those who grew up with Reeve and became critics, speak with an implicit bias of nothing living up to him.

The Future Of Superman Must Embrace Progress
The numbers show that every time Superman pushes forward, the audience responds by showing up. Christopher Reeve and Richard Donner’s Superman was a transcendent leap after the George Reeves-led Adventures of Superman television series of the 1950s. Adjusted for inflation, Superman: The Movie made over a billion dollars. The next time Superman truly pushed forward was 2013’s Man of Steel, bringing in the highest box office since then with $668 million. 2016’s Batman v Superman continued the upward spike, giving Superman another cinematic layer and singing to the tune of $872 million.

For Superman to truly thrive, the character must be allowed to evolve in the same way Batman or Spider-Man evolved from iteration to iteration. If audiences and critics can accept that Tom Holland is a different Spider-Man from Tobey Maguire and can also see that Robert Pattinson is a different Batman than Adam West, surely we should understand Henry Cavill is different than Christopher Reeve.

Henry Cavill is currently slated to appear in Zack Snyder’s Justice League in 2021 and there are no currently known plans for Superman to have his film soon. Whether Cavill suits up as the character again or the franchise opts to reboot, one thing needs to happen either way, evolution.