• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 4

96 posts in this topic

[

Wicked tear with the piece set to fall off, water stain... that tops out at 6.0, and even then, I wouldn't want it.

I thought that too, but I've seen enough Golden Age slabs to know that GA books tend to get graded looser than books with similar flaws in silver and bronze.

[

Wicked tear with the piece set to fall off, water stain... that tops out at 6.0, and even then, I wouldn't want it.

I thought that too, but I've seen enough Golden Age slabs to know that GA books tend to get graded looser than books with similar flaws in silver and bronze.

All I can say is WOW.

That Future 2 is a freaking awesome book. It is a Gerber rarity and is featured on the cover of the Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books. I would take that book if it had been used in the bottom of a bird cage and then run through the washing machine. 2c

I'm not sure I understood what the rounded corners on the front of the Poe comic were supposed to look like.

That's part of the art. The rounded corners are a depiction of an action figure blister pack.

I screwed up this round. The corners of Poe looked a tiny bit beat up, so I went with a 9.6. I didn't think the torn up corners of the Future Comics would allow for such a high grade.

Couldn't have said it better...this is so embarrassing...while the Future was a visually lovely book, the defects were substantial. Big chunks out of top and bottom corners - it's time to retire... :(

All books should be graded the same regardless of era. If that was a modern age book, people would be laughing at that grade. Of course, we know that CGC doesn't grade that way.

Ok so given that we know that, what is the problem? It is common knowledge that CGC does not grade GA the same as they do something that was printed 2 years ago. I'm failing to see why people continue to expect this when it has been proven time and time again for 15+ years (shrug)

Re the Future Comics back cover. I had a GA CGC 8.0 with this back cover (note the chip missing in the upper spine corner) --

planet16slabback.jpg

Just one data point, but could be that the Future upper spine corner got a semi-pass from CGC as "bindery defect that got worse", as opposed to true damage.