• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry's Marvellous Meanderings through the Comic Book World
1 1

347 posts in this topic

Great thread.

I don't like the early JIMs at all, although the Tales of Asgard backup is good once it begins. But the series does pick up considerably from about 119 (1st Destroyer) onwards. By the time you get to Ulik the troll, Ego, Galactus etc it has a great space opera feel to it and Kirby's 'cosmic' artwork suits it very well.

So hang in there!

As I was not alive in the '60s, it appears the early '60s had a cool vibe with the first few James Bond films and JFK's Camelot. And I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel the early Fantastic Four cover have this cool vibe. Maybe it's the font of the logo, or Kirby's art.

It’s not a typeface ('font' has become a common term, but it’s inaccurate, as it addresses a specific weight or variation of a type family) – rather it’s skillful handlettering, and it’s due to Sol Brodsky (most of the early Marvel logos were his work), which was part of the original "Marvel bullpen", as Stan would have later put it. :)

Great thread.

I don't like the early JIMs at all, although the Tales of Asgard backup is good once it begins. But the series does pick up considerably from about 119 (1st Destroyer) onwards. By the time you get to Ulik the troll, Ego, Galactus etc it has a great space opera feel to it and Kirby's 'cosmic' artwork suits it very well.

So hang in there!

The Radioactive Man story is good, not so much the first story of the Absorbing Man.

There is also the first story of Mr. Hyde and Hercules in the Annual. Probably in these Kirby contributed more to the plot, but it’s just an hypothesis.

Hey! Spoiler alert please! lol

You are right, these early JIMs - indeed anything that R Berns touched - are dire. I think "Berns" real name was Bernstein. Obviously sucking up to Stan by altering his surname similarly lol

Thanks but that wasn't spoiling, that is a public service. :P

I didn't know that about Berns, thanks for the info. I hoped I would garner more knowledge from this journal. (worship)

Hello Mr. Lime,

This is a cool thread. As a DC guy, I have not read many of these classic Silver Marvel tales but I respect how Marvel changed the medium. As I was not alive in the '60s, it appears the early '60s had a cool vibe with the first few James Bond films and JFK's Camelot. And I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel the early Fantastic Four cover have this cool vibe. Maybe it's the font of the logo, or Kirby's art.

Great job with the reviews and I hope your future is filled with many upgrades!

Brandon

Thank you very much. It's good to know other people are enjoying this. I agree the FF's 'title' is very cool and very 60's as well. I too hope for a few upgrades but it would be nicer to fill some gaping chasms first. Not easy to do when on a budget.

It’s not a typeface ('font' has become a common term, but it’s inaccurate, as it addresses a specific weight or variation of a type family) – rather it’s skillful handlettering, and it’s due to Sol Brodsky (most of the early Marvel logos were his work), which was part of the original "Marvel bullpen", as Stan would have later put it. :)

This is great info, Claudio. (worship)

Great thread.

So hang in there!

Thanks for the kind words. I know that Thor picks up later, I've read quite a few of the later SA ones but it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks these JIM's are unworthy of Mjolnir.

The Radioactive Man story is good, not so much the first story of the Absorbing Man.

There is also the first story of Mr. Hyde and Hercules in the Annual. Probably in these Kirby contributed more to the plot, but it’s just an hypothesis.

Unfortunately or should that be fortunately I haven't got #93. I have got #114 though but it's time has not yet come.

Fantastic Four #20 November 1963

My Copy - Grade 2.0

ff20.jpg.11e268de5ce64eecf73afad2701f3d09.jpg

Cover: 2/5 ~ Nothing special but gets marks for the FF in action, 'cept for poor Sue, the crazy warped street on the right and the big panel exclaiming "The Marvel Age of Comics!" I used to love that as a kid reading the reprints. "Yay! This is the Marvel Age and I'm reading one" :bigsmile:

Art: 3/5 ~ A blessed relief after Sinnott. Some great Kirby touches, the floating Baxter building, typical Kirby machinery, literally a road hill, the bendy water tower and Manhattan under glass but I don't feel he's given enough space here to truly showcase his talents.

Story: 3/5 ~ Any story with the Watcher in it gets an automatic +1 from me and this is fast paced, action heavy and packs a few surprises as well. However the Molecule Man for all his undoubted power is a cornball. As Johnny Storm remarks "Get with it, fella! You sound like Bela Lugosi on the late show!"

Quote of the Day ~ "The only thing worse than hating a Yancy Streeter is havin' to be grateful to one!"

My assessment: Another low grade pence copy, another in need of an upgrade. This will do for now though.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Journey Into Mystery #99 December 1963

My Copy - Grade 7.5 Hard to evaluate this one. It looks trimmed from the scans but there's plenty of overhang top & bottom cover and the interior pages come to a V when viewed edge on. I think it may have just been badly cut at the presses.

jim99.jpg.11b90af52cfe44e99861f850e9f9ca05.jpg

Cover: 2/5 ~ Thor is looking better so kudos for that & cool transition effect but nothing that really shouts BUY ME!

Art: 2/5 ~ Heck is on the pencils so the overall standard is up. Hyde is ugly enough but everything just feels so small & ordinary.

Story: 2/5 ~ Stan the Man is back on the --script so presumably Berns had been fired or his phone wasn't working that month. Lee's work is certainly an improvement but not quite enough. Highlights were Blake's fall from the window & the family exchange with Odin. Low points were Hyde's origin (don't worry about any details, this is a homage to Robert Louis Stevenson, suckers!), the general lack of action and the jarring cut to the ending. I haven't got #100 so I realise this may be unfair but I have to read them as they were printed. :nyah:

Quote of the Day ~ "Silence! Even a Thunder God must be taught humility!"

My assessment ~ Although certainly an improvement over the hair-pulling, Tourette inducing offerings previously reviewed there's still not enough here to make me want to keep the book.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

No updates tomorrow so a bonus edition for tonight.

Fantastic Four #24 March 1964

My Copy - Grade 6.5

ff24.jpg.abede463aa526a76a0a5b1c207c68a4b.jpg

Cover: 5/5 ~ I love this cover, distilled Kirby cosmicness. The only way that this could be better would be for the black spacey effect to be extended to the top edge. It would have got 6/5 then!

Art: 4/5 ~ Jack has a lot of fun with this one. So many awesome panels, the only complaint is that, like #20, he's not given enough room to do them justice.

Story: 3/5 ~ Again, a lot of fun is had with the plot. The protagonist acts like a little child (Elain just wanna have fun) but because of his unpredictability and precocious talents turns out to be probably the FF's greatest threat up till now. The part with the gangsters is a hoot and Reed spots what looks suspiciously like the Martian ships from War of the Worlds to ultimately save the day. Alas, because they were having so much fun, the plot is a bit silly and predictable (once we found out that it was an infant) but still very enjoyable.

Quote of the Day ~ "YIIIII!! It..it turned into a...a pig!

My assessment ~ Definite keeper. Fine grade is good enough for me and I don't mind pence copies. No upgrade needed. :)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

In my opinon, JiM #93 is cool. (thumbs u

Mr. Hyde is an important character, however I understand you as – as much as I love the Absorbing Man – I had to sell the origin story. :P

While I love FF#20, as "corny" the Molecule Man might sound. At least he was a menacing character, back then.

This is great info, Claudio. (worship)

There is an issue of Marvel Age almost entirely devoted to him, when he passed away, I believe. He was a great letterer. :)

Just spent an enjoyable couple of hours examining, bag & boarding, cataloguing & sorting some recent purchases. Aside from reading the books and of course updating this journal :nyah: , I find this to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby. It really appeals to the inner OCD in me.

Journey Into Mystery #103 April 1964

My Copy - Grade 2.5

jim103.jpg.3439521573f162f0fe9422b83c6b9ae2.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Great cover but average score? Two reasons, firstly the awkward placement of Amora and secondly, we only see 2/3rds of it. Like the FF#24 if the cover had extended to the top it would have been so much better. I'm presuming there were practical reasons for this, hopefully someone will enlighten me.

Art: 3/5 ~ Finally I get to see Kirby's work on this title and it's a definite improvement from the previous offerings. Earth & definitely Asgard look much better and the Enchantress? Hubba hubba!! What a hottie!

Story: 3/5 ~ Another improvement, at least Thor is facing enemies more in keeping with his own prowess. Loki's scheming is all the more effective through using Odin and Amora. Jane Foster after being shocked by a snog finds herself in greater peril and the Executioner might have won the day if not for a temporary memory lapse in desiring Thor's hammer almost as much as Amora! Ultimately it's this ending that rather lets the story down.

Quote of the Day ~ "Lady, I'd take you to the Moon if you asked me to!"

My assessment ~ Although I enjoyed this issue one thing this journal has taught me so far is that I won't be collecting any more JIM's. I'm undecided at the moment whether to keep this or not. meh! It's no beauty, it can go.

:news:SOLD!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Fantastic Four #27 June 1964

My Copy - Grade 6.5

ff27.jpg.db69c2a457a2e32f5cf2a5abc32b84a0.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ The red/orange sky is lovely and it's nice to see such large representations of our heroes but there's something off about the poses, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Art: 3/5 ~ Best parts are the splash page (more Hubba hubba), the Thing juggling Namor's henchmen & the extensive coverage of Reed's flexibility, Kirby does a great job here. Overall though, it's pretty average.

Story: 3/5 ~ Another issue of Namor brooding for Sue driving the plot with the bonus of the first Dr. Strange crossover. Both aspects don't do enough to lift this higher than bang average though & when is Namor going to get into his head that perhaps kidnapping girls is not the best way to achieve their love? This ish is Reed-centric and he's fighting-mad which is possibly not the best way to employ his talents although back in the mid-60's I suppose it was expected of him to abandon his brain and make ready with the fists when someone steals his 'gal'.

Quote of the Day ~ "Well, Mr Richards. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't expose your thoughts of me for everyone to gape at!!"

My assessment ~ Neither good nor bad, this book is as about as average as it gets for earlyish FF. A definite keeper though and no upgrade needed which is nice.

On the fateful day when I discovered that you could actually buy old comics, this issue, although not this book, was up on the wall. I asked the proprietor if I could have at look at it and then I saw the price; £30! I thought that was a lot for an old comic. Ha, ha! I was such an innocent. Anyway a couple of weeks later after more research about pricing and grading etc, I realised that it wasn't such a bad deal after all and went back to get it. Of course, it had gone, much disappointment ensued, but I ended up buying this one from eBay about 18 months later anyway. For less money and in better condition, the comic book store copy had someone's name written about 10 times on the cover.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

The Mekon said:
I'm really enjoying your journal!

Although I think I might be hard pressed now to write something of my own... hm

Thank you!

Fantastic Four #28 July 1964

My Copy - Grade 5.0

ff28.jpg.7612cac23d5b66e6a35c444ec8960fab.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Not my favourite by a long way but you have to give marks for not one but two superhero teams on the cover at the same time. There's even room for the Amazingly Amorphous Awesome Android! I would have been all over this if I had been 8 years older, living in America with 12 cents jingling in my pocketses.

Art: 3/5 ~ Great action scenes and that's it really. Kirby didn't feel like drawing anything else this month. Fair enough.

Story: 2.5/5 ~ Yes, that's right, a decimal point. I enjoyed the action and the rollicking pace too much to give it a 2 but it's too contrived (were the X-Men sales dropping, perchance?) and contains two glaring errors, to give it a 3. The most minor being the declaration that the Thing had smashed Xavier's puppet and the major error being Cyclops thinking that Reed's answer was exactly as the Thinker had predicted when the Mad Thinker's involvement was unknown at that point and would be for some time. It's interesting to note Reed's wholly different reaction to Sue's kidnapping this issue (yeah, that girl needs to get some pepper spray). Good for him, he's better for thinking before acting.

Quote of the Day ~ "I better land a hay-maker on someone pretty soon! I don't wanna grow up frustrated!"

My assessment ~ An enjoyable enough romp, pretty average again. I would love a whiter copy but this one cost a fair bit so the expense is probably beyond me at the moment.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

My JIM/Thor collection becomes much more intact from this point on, with a couple of exceptions. :(

Journey Into Mystery #107 August 1964

My Copy - Grade 5.5

jim107.jpg.83639a4cdc7f3f1f116b240dd8bf6bb6.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ I like this cover, Thor's pose, the grey 'statues', the panicked public fleeing, and I would have gone higher but for the weird inking job done on the Gargoyle's face (it's all smudgey) & his feet. Yes, I can't stand his costumed feet. It looks like he's wearing a pair of bear shaped slippers. Such things would have been unknown in 1964 of course, but still.....

Art: 2/5 ~ No scenes of Asgard so everything is run of the mill by Kirby's standards. I actually like the way he draws the Gargoyle ('cept for the you know what) but it would have been more effective & sinister if he stuck to the splash page depiction.

Story: 1/5 ~ Oh dear, we are back to the bad ol' days of absurdities & contradictions. The first time we see Duval (Grey Gargoyle) he is emerging from a plane that's just landed from France. Cut to the interior and every passenger has been turned to stone in their seats! Why did he feel the need to do that but more importantly why did they let him touch them without moving or seemingly resisting in anyway? Was the in-flight entertainment so bad that they thought being turned to living stone was an improvement?

Apparently Duval can't resist turning people into stone as after the origin story he touches the cabbie who took him into town as well. At least there's a motive behind this act, to attract Thor's attention. Now follows absurdity number two. He believes that Thor's immortality comes from his hammer and wants it for himself. Would it not be more logical to surmise that Thor is immortal because he is an actual god? Then follows a brief scrap between the Gargoyle & Thor where Thor actually gets bested (the story got +1 because of that) and turned to stone. Of course, toppling over his hammer strikes the ground and returns him to Blake (all pink & moving). He somehow knows that he can't turn back into Thor within an hour because he will turn back to stone again...ok, I'm willing to suspend disbelief for that but what follows after must have taken more than an hour to arrange anyway.

Walks to office. Thinks of a plan. Makes phone call. TV company gets 3-D TV projector with mods from Tony Stark, mounted on motorcycle ridden by Blake. He promises the film will be theirs afterwards. Drives around town looking for GG, etc. etc. Oh & finally the Gargoyle gets his comeuppance because he forgets that stones don't float whilst declaring "I can follow you anywhere!" :facepalm:

Quote of the Day ~ "You dare profane my beloved hammer with your evil grasp??!!"

My assessment ~ This could have been done so much better. I was really looking forward to the first GG but it was another big disappointment. Sell, sell!!

:news:SOLD!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

I had alerted you that the first Grey Gargoyle (one of my favorite villains) story was bad! :D

I sold my copy, and this speaks a lot about it…

Actually you warned me about the first Absorbing Man (one of my faves) so we still have that to look forward to. :(

lol

Next up, my only Strange Tales. I had a few others but I've sold them all.

Strange Tales #123 August 1964

My Copy - Grade 2.5

st123.jpg.f11b66172e82991ae24e1609c6b6806c.jpg

Cover: 2/5 ~ The split panel cover doesn't work well imo, not enough space given to either protagonist but it does allow for 3 super characters + Thing & Thor in panels and our first glimpse of the Beetle.

The Human Torch

Art: 1/5 ~ It's decent enough except for the Thing. Burgos really struggles with him and I had to take marks away for that.

Story: 2/5 ~ It's all about the Beetle. His first outing so we have a 'live' origin story. We witness his passion for collecting boxes containing cash and an equal propensity for throwing it onto the assembled masses. He really gives Ben & Johnny the run-around until he repeats one trick too many. Enjoyable & lightweight fun.

Quote of the Day ~ "I'll meetcha in a minute! I forgot to tell that gal I want my burger nearly raw! None of that greasy kid stuff for me!"

Dr. Strange

Art: 2/5 ~ Not totally convinced by Ditko's rendering of Loki or Thor but his own inimitable style does bring out the best of Strange and the magikey stuff.

Story: 2/5 ~ Dr. Strange is rather too easily duped by Loki which leads to more shenanigans involving Thor's hammer. Tense fight between the Master of the Mystic Arts & the God of Mischief which Strange survives only by Thor's imminent arrival. Not a bad story but over in a flash.

Quote of the Day ~ "Behold doomed mortal! See how I create a force of unearthly energy by using the vibrating ions at the end of my horns!!"

My assessment ~ I bought this because it's the first Beetle. One of my favourite villains as a child. I think I always liked him because of his clunky purple & green outfit. I still like it today and he's such a loser, I feel sorry for him. :)

I don't need a higher grade copy, I just wanted this in my collection. Keeper.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

I had alerted you that the first Grey Gargoyle (one of my favorite villains) story was bad! :D

I sold my copy, and this speaks a lot about it…

Actually you warned me about the first Absorbing Man (one of my faves) so we still have that to look forward to. :(

lol

Oooh, right. Stories are both bad… I am a big fan of the Absorbing Man, even more than the Gargoyle, and was so disappointed to read the introductory story. :P

Well, at least it has been painless to sell them. :D

BTW, another origin story I really find so-so is ASM #12: as good as the Goblin is as a villain, the origin story leaves me unimpressed. I have #13, 'though, which is very cool (Mysterio). :)

Oooh, right. Stories are both bad… I am a big fan of the Absorbing Man, even more than the Gargoyle, and was so disappointed to read the introductory story. :P

Well, at least it has been painless to sell them. :D

BTW, another origin story I really find so-so is ASM #12: as good as the Goblin is as a villain, the origin story leaves me unimpressed. I have #13, 'though, which is very cool (Mysterio). :)

Yeah, the first Goblin is mediocre at best. Luckily they saw the potenial in the character and turned it around. I love ASM#13, Mysterio was another of my faves as a kid, heck virtually every Spidey villain was ('cept for Kraven). Unfortunately as can be seen from their absence in this thread I have neither. :(

My FF collection becomes much more complete from this point on with a few notable exceptions. Can you guess which ones are missing? :nyah:

Fantastic Four #30 September 1964

My Copy - Grade 4.0 Qualified (Missing Ad Page, story unaffected) Bought this from ebay for a nominal sum after refund was issued because of the absent page. Had a Comic Connect sticker on the back, giving it a 4.5. Bit generous imo and what about the missing page, CC? Do they even do the grading? I don't know but it would make me think twice before buying from them after such an obvious fault was missed.

ff30.jpg.67d84c8e4c2c5016705760a46b6ffcf7.jpg

Cover: 3/5 ~ Nothing special but the transformed Thing and the sneering (or possibly leering) Diablo just about lift it out of the mundane.

Art: 2.5/5 ~ A few nice panels and I did like the 'handsome' Thing but not quite up to the usual Kirby standard.

Story: 2.5/5 ~ Wow, 2 decimal points in one review! Not quite bad enough but missing half a point for Ben's trance like rescue act & rapid defection to Diablo. An obvious contrivance. It was good to see Sue using her powers more and Diablo bricking it once the Thing came after him. Another lightweight but enjoyable tale, however I'm under the impression that Lee & Kirby were treading water with the FF in this period as the last three reviewed have all been distinctly average. I'm counting on you guys to up your game! :baiting:

Quote of the Day ~ "He's got you beat a mile, Reedy boy! Look how gorgeous he made me- - with just one sip of a potion of his!"

My assessment ~ Considering I paid next to nothing for it I'm not going to rush to upgrade it, even with a missing page.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime