• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mycomicshop.com
2 2

64 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Good guy @mycomicshop does not gouge on shipping.

Because I have an irrational goal of collecting 100 copies of Adventure Time 1A (2012), I hopped on two ebay listings they had. Didn't have to ask and wasn't really planning to bother, but they automatically combined the orders and refunded $5.00. Even small fry sellers often squeeze you on shipping. Thanks, MCS. :foryou: 

Just curious why you bought them on E-Bay rather then just buying them thru their site?  The on-site price is lower then the e-bucks discount in most cases.

My experience with them is completely different. It’s been years since I’ve ordered from them though. It’s been years because not only were most of my packages damaged from their Saran Wrap from Hell, the ones that weren’t damaged from their packaging method were very clearly over graded. Near Mint Books shouldn’t have any creases let alone color breaking creases. I contacted them via email and was told rudely to return the books for a refund & I had to cover the return shipping. Not saying every single order was over graded or damaged due to their packaging but I’d say 60-70% were. It was the rude service I got that sealed the deal though. 

I switched to Midtown who have had some issue with the same things. Obviously not the Saran Wrap but not packaged the best and some over graded  stuff as well. What sealed the deal with Midtown is they not only adjusted there packaging but also were always pleasant when communicating any issues with them. They also never ever made me ship a book back if it was their fault. Just sent me a new copy or refunded me. Honestly I’m very very picky with my comics. If it’s not as described/pictured or was packaged poorly and damaged I’m going to complain and return said items on the sellers dime. 

Edited by Corona smith

6 minutes ago, Chili Bowl said:

Was this like, 20 years ago? Their packaging has been bomb-proof for a decade or more.

Overgraded? Some people won't consign with them because they're so strict.

You sure you bought from MCS and not someone who ran a Lonestar LCS?

Yes it was through the MyComicShop.com website directly. It’s been around a decade since I ordered from them. I don’t doubt others great experiences but my experiences weren’t. 

I've mainly had experience with them via selling books. Either directly to them or via consignment. It's been mentioned previously that they grade harshly. That's been my experience as well. It works great if you are a buyer, but if a seller, expect that their grading will be lower than what you expected. Selling via consignment I've had nothing but positive experiences. From prices received, to their prompt and thorough responses to any inquires I made. Selling direct to them may be a disappointment. The first batch I ever sent them I requested a direct sales offer. It was very low. I thought. I initially accepted, but then changed my mind and requested they take them on consignment instead. All sold within 6 months at a total price of at least 3x what their direct buy price was. Recently I sent in a 100 book shipment of older, nice condition books, but most, if not all, not valuable enough for them to take on consignment. I was expecting a low offer, but nowhere that low. It was $100 for all 100 books. So my suggestion, as a seller, use them for consignment if possible. Otherwise consider selling them yourself thru Ebay, if you are willing to put out the extra time and effort.

As a buyer, I've had less experience. But all shipments were received promptly, safely and well packaged. And most were, in my opinion, of a higher grade that what they had them listed as.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the buy offer they give you directly will be less than other companies. For all I know, they could be the same or even higher. I have no comparison for that. Just trying to share my experience with them. Definitely, overall, a huge thumbs up from me.

Edited by WPPJames

2 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

Recently I sent in a 100 book shipment of older, nice condition books, but most, if not all, not valuable enough for them to take on consignment. I was expecting a low offer, but nowhere that low. It was $100 for all 100 books.

Examples of what books you sent? 

18 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Examples of what books you sent? 

I know it's a lame answer, but I really don't remember. I just needed immediate quick cash and didn't have time to sell them myself thru Ebay. I sold via this method (see attached image). About 30% were in the $0.10 to $0.25 range. 60% in the $0.30 to $0.35 range and the remainder in the $0.30 to $0.35 range in "newish" condition. And almost all were in the categories they recommended.

Action, Adventure, Superhero, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Western, and War titles are the most collected. Humor, Archie, Dell, Gold Key, Harvey, funny animal (Disney, Looney Toons, etc.) comics are in less demand, and are very common in lower grades.

I hope no one takes that one comment out of context from my overall post, as my overall experience with them, as a buyer and selling on consignment, has been incredibly positive.

MCS54.GIF

Oh, and they did also cover my shipping cost. So the total payment was around $128.00

Edited by WPPJames

3 hours ago, Corona smith said:

My experience with them is completely different. It’s been years since I’ve ordered from them though. It’s been years because not only were most of my packages damaged from their Saran Wrap from Hell, the ones that weren’t damaged from their packaging method were very clearly over graded. Near Mint Books shouldn’t have any creases let alone color breaking creases. I contacted them via email and was told rudely to return the books for a refund & I had to cover the return shipping. Not saying every single order was over graded or damaged due to their packaging but I’d say 60-70% were. It was the rude service I got that sealed the deal though. 

I switched to Midtown who have had some issue with the same things. Obviously not the Saran Wrap but not packaged the best and some over graded  stuff as well. What sealed the deal with Midtown is they not only adjusted there packaging but also were always pleasant when communicating any issues with them. They also never ever made me ship a book back if it was their fault. Just sent me a new copy or refunded me. Honestly I’m very very picky with my comics. If it’s not as described/pictured or was packaged poorly and damaged I’m going to complain and return said items on the sellers dime. 

Can you remember what was "rude" about the email reply? Without the vocal inflections and such, misunderstandings are easy. 

3 hours ago, WPPJames said:

I've mainly had experience with them via selling books. Either directly to them or via consignment. It's been mentioned previously that they grade harshly. That's been my experience as well. It works great if you are a buyer, but if a seller, expect that their grading will be lower than what you expected. Selling via consignment I've had nothing but positive experiences. From prices received, to their prompt and thorough responses to any inquires I made. Selling direct to them may be a disappointment. The first batch I ever sent them I requested a direct sales offer. It was very low. I thought. I initially accepted, but then changed my mind and requested they take them on consignment instead. All sold within 6 months at a total price of at least 3x what their direct buy price was. Recently I sent in a 100 book shipment of older, nice condition books, but most, if not all, not valuable enough for them to take on consignment. I was expecting a low offer, but nowhere that low. It was $100 for all 100 books. So my suggestion, as a seller, use them for consignment if possible. Otherwise consider selling them yourself thru Ebay, if you are willing to put out the extra time and effort.

As a buyer, I've had less experience. But all shipments were received promptly, safely and well packaged. And most were, in my opinion, of a higher grade that what they had them listed as.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the buy offer they give you directly will be less than other companies. For all I know, they could be the same or even higher. I have no comparison for that. Just trying to share my experience with them. Definitely, overall, a huge thumbs up from me.

Yeah, generally I don’t think it makes sense to sell them books directly if they are consignable unless you need the money very quickly.  You can almost always get a lot more via the consignment route.  I think even if you have to sell them as a lot and have to pay the 25% commission rate, you are still probably going to beat the direct selling price they offer most of the time.

I’ve actually just submitted my first direct sale of a small group of books.  They are books that fit three pretty specific criteria- they aren’t expensive enough to consign, they can’t really be grouped as a lot that is worth enough to consign, and I have so little personal interest in them that I don’t mind selling them at a pretty low price.  I actually find it kinda fun to look thru what they are willing to buy at what prices.  They actually will buy a lot of “drek” for a buck or two if they don’t have it in stock.  You also have to accept that they will be buying at their insanely tight grades, so you have to make sure you are okay selling VFs at their FN price, for example.  

I’m curious to see how my expectations of their grading will match up with this batch.  

I honestly don’t recall why I found customer service rude specifically. I just remember that being my overall impression. I thinks it’s cool that MCS responded and addressed all the problems I had all those years ago. It sounds like improvements have been made and perhaps I can start ordering again. It’s always nice to have another option for books. Obviously I’m in the minority with my previous bad experiences. 

21 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

I honestly don’t recall why I found customer service rude specifically. I just remember that being my overall impression. I thinks it’s cool that MCS responded and addressed all the problems I had all those years ago. It sounds like improvements have been made and perhaps I can start ordering again. It’s always nice to have another option for books. Obviously I’m in the minority with my previous bad experiences. 

I think it's really cool that you admit that maybe you just had a bad experience(s) years ago. Instead of going on the defensive like most people would have done when challenged. And I agree that MCS's response was very detailed and informative. They also didn't automatically go on the defensive. Well handled by both parties.

I'm such a peacekeeper I should get a job at the UN (thumbsu

3 hours ago, WPPJames said:

I think it's really cool that you admit that maybe you just had a bad experience(s) years ago. Instead of going on the defensive like most people would have done when challenged, or when someone asks a question. And I agree that MCS's response was very detailed and informative. They also didn't automatically go on the defensive. Well handled by both parties.

9 hours ago, WPPJames said:

I think it's really cool that you admit that maybe you just had a bad experience(s) years ago. Instead of going on the defensive like most people would have done when challenged. And I agree that MCS's response was very detailed and informative. They also didn't automatically go on the defensive. Well handled by both parties.

I may be a grump but I really try my best to be fair and open minded. 

18 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Actually, this type of story was not uncommon years ago regarding mycomicshop. There was a time, based on experience, that I wouldn't order anything high grade from them. There are threads buried in the bowels of this message board that talk about their hit or miss, or just plain poor grading. HOWEVER, to their credit, they turned it around and are now much better. Better grading, better packaging and better customer service. Conan is always very responsive to questions and concerns posted here. 

16 hours ago, WPPJames said:

I know it's a lame answer, but I really don't remember. I just needed immediate quick cash and didn't have time to sell them myself thru Ebay. I sold via this method (see attached image). About 30% were in the $0.10 to $0.25 range. 60% in the $0.30 to $0.35 range and the remainder in the $0.30 to $0.35 range in "newish" condition. And almost all were in the categories they recommended.

Action, Adventure, Superhero, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Western, and War titles are the most collected. Humor, Archie, Dell, Gold Key, Harvey, funny animal (Disney, Looney Toons, etc.) comics are in less demand, and are very common in lower grades.

I hope no one takes that one comment out of context from my overall post, as my overall experience with them, as a buyer and selling on consignment, has been incredibly positive.

MCS54.GIF

Oh, and they did also cover my shipping cost. So the total payment was around $128.00

If they grade them at 6.0-7.0 then many books like those are $2-4 on their site. So shelling out $1.28 a pop does not seem nuts. Hack, they probably barely make a profit when you factor in other costs. You would have gotten $2 a pop here for many of them, but it would have been work.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Actually, this type of story was not uncommon years ago regarding mycomicshop. There was a time, based on experience, that I wouldn't order anything high grade from them. There are threads buried in the bowels of this message board that talk about their hit or miss, or just plain poor grading. HOWEVER, to their credit, they turned it around and are now much better. Better grading, better packaging and better customer service. Conan is always very responsive to questions and concerns posted here. 

Same here.... in fact, their stock is very tightly graded, often a little undergraded. I remember a time when I dreaded having to scroll through their listings on eBay..... but now it seems I often find something new in them that I want. I do bypass eBay and order directly from their site, as the price is better. One of my favorite sites now. And turnaround ? …. if I order on a weekday the books are often received within 3 days max. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12