• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mycomicshop.com
2 2

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

If they grade them at 6.0-7.0 then many books like those are $2-4 on their site. So shelling out $1.28 a pop does not seem nuts. Hack, they probably barely make a profit when you factor in other costs. You would have gotten $2 a pop here for many of them, but it would have been work.

That's a bit of a leap since you don't know what the books were. I don't remember myself. However, I do remember looking several up on their site before sending them in and they were not going for nearly that low. I don't think they could have made any kind of real profit at $2-$4 if they bought them for $1.28 each. But it's all good. I needed quick cash and they provided it. And under the option I submitted, if you don't accept their offer they'll return them to you on their dime, so your only cost in getting an offer would be your original shipping cost.

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Same here.... in fact, their stock is very tightly graded, often a little undergraded. I remember a time when I dreaded having to scroll through their listings on eBay..... but now it seems I often find something new in them that I want. I do bypass eBay and order directly from their site, as the price is better. One of my favorite sites now. And turnaround ? …. if I order on a weekday the books are often received within 3 days max. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

A few years ago I felt the same way about scrolling through their listings as well.

Now they have ended up having some of the most reasonable priced items on my searches.  I don't know why this is.  Maybe casual sellers/flippers are upping their's too fast to try and profit and MCS has just stood pat, I'm not sure.  Factor in their tight grading, and I have made a few purchases from them in the past few months and I have been happy each time. 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, WPPJames said:

That's a bit of a leap since you don't know what the books were. I don't remember myself. However, I do remember looking several up on their site before sending them in and they were not going for nearly that low. I don't think they could have made any kind of real profit at $2-$4 if they bought them for $1.28 each. But it's all good. I needed quick cash and they provided it. And under the option I submitted, if you don't accept their offer they'll return them to you on their dime, so your only cost in getting an offer would be your original shipping cost.

Well, since you don't know what you sent, I guess it is all speculation. Probably more like $4-5 than $2, yeah, but they have SA books up there in VG for $2 as well. My guess is that what you thought were higher grade books they decided were mid grade or worse and paid accordingly. They price a lot of stuff in 6.0 or less to move. And the fact is with your run of the mill early 70s stuff they seem to have 5+ copies of that stuff in mid-grade already, so my guess is that their A.I. maybe pays less for stuff they have a bunch of?

Hey conan, I missed your 10% off, when are you doing that again???

11 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Interesting read. I know I always kick myself when I buy from them off eBay instead of going to their website. Never a problem although I’m easily satisfied. I also know they are actively buying woefully underpriced gold slabs off eBay which I’m assuming are for resale?

Here is a (maybe?) funny story. I won an older slabbed book in the "Green Egg?" contest. Again, needed immediate cash, so later listed it on Ebay. Felt bad because I really wanted to keep it and it felt disrespectful to the person who donated it for the contest. But we all have to eat Ramen Noodles at some point. Anyway, book sells. I know Buddy Saunders is the owner of MCS. Purchase was from a Jakey Saunders. Deliver address was exact same as MCS. Payment via Paypal was from a Judy Saunders. Could Buddy have a multiple personality disorder? I say this in jest Buddy. And I've been afraid to go out to MCS and see what it's currently listed for. It was what I'd consider a "rare" slabbed book. I think that was the key. And @the blob makes an excellent point. If you send something in that they already have 10 copies of, especially if they've been for sale for a while, you aren't going to get much of an offer. And that's fair. Supply and demand.

Overall, I really like MCS as a buyer and as a consignee. Especially enjoy working with Este on the consignment side.

32 minutes ago, GetOffMyLawn! said:

Isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Nah. I attend (set up) at 30 shows a year, so there's really nothing that I can't get from MyComicShop that I couldn't find at one of them.

1 hour ago, WPPJames said:

Overall, I really like MCS as a buyer and as a consignee. Especially enjoy working with Este on the consignment side.

She is number one in my book. I might have my first unpleasant experience with MCS some day (just tossing out a you never know, nothing concrete), but so far over the years they have gone out of their way to work with me. Everybody I've talked to, emailed etc has been really kind and patient with me.

37 minutes ago, evilskip said:

She is number one in my book. I might have my first unpleasant experience with MCS some day (just tossing out a you never know, nothing concrete), but so far over the years they have gone out of their way to work with me. Everybody I've talked to, emailed etc has been really kind and patient with me.

I always thought Este was a guy :facepalm: No wonder the service has been so great. Us guys can be real jerks to deal with.

4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Interesting read. I know I always kick myself when I buy from them off eBay instead of going to their website. Never a problem although I’m easily satisfied. I also know they are actively buying woefully underpriced gold slabs off eBay which I’m assuming are for resale?

Where are there underpriced gold  slabs on eBay?

So my order arrived. These were four copies of Adventure Time 1A (because I have an irrational compulsion to own 100 copies) that cost only $8.75 apiece. They were advertised as NM.

Each comic was individually bagged and boarded. The four comics were inside another bag, which was taped to a piece of cardboard and placed in a cardboard mailer. Some paper packaging material filled the empty space. The mailer was sealed with paper packaging tape, the kind with fibers running through it.

The comics were easily NM. I would call them NM+. I'm over 90 copies now, and my copies range from two with significant tears in the cover to 9.8 slabbed copies. These four copies are very, very nice. I typically pay anywhere from $10 to $20 for copies, with $15 a pretty good average, so the prices were quite attractive.

So yeah, quite a good transaction for low dollar books. I've had only positive transactions for higher dollar books, too. So yeah, a preferred seller for me.

I just need @mycomicshop to tell me who I reach out to so that I can inquire if anymore copies of this are in stock. I'm soooo close to 100 copies, and I need this compulsion to stop! :banana:

Edited by DavidTheDavid
qualifier for clarification

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

So my order arrived. These were four copies of Adventure Time 1A (because I have an irrational compulsion to own 100 copies) that cost only $8.75 apiece. They were advertised as NM.

Each comic was individually bagged and boarded. The four comics were inside another bag, which was taped to a piece of cardboard and placed in a cardboard mailer. Some paper packaging material filled the empty space. The mailer was sealed with paper packaging tape, the kind with fibers running through it.

The comics were easily NM. I would call them NM+. I'm over 90 copies now, and my copies range from two with significant tears in the cover to 9.8 slabbed copies. These four copies are very, very nice. I typically pay anywhere from $10 to $20 for copies, with $15 a pretty good average, so the prices were quite attractive.

So yeah, quite a good transaction for low dollar books. I've had only positive transactions for higher dollar books, too. So yeah, a preferred seller for me.

I just need @mycomicshop to tell me who I reach out to so that I can inquire if anymore copies of this are in stock. I'm soooo close to 100 copies, and I need this compulsion to stop! :banana:

100?I'm calling the police.

I thought ai was bad with almost two dozen different Godzilla Comic shop covers.

8 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

WOW..100.....

9 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

We just got those 4 in recently. Don’t have any others waiting in the wings. Have fun getting to 100!

On 8/12/2016 at 6:59 PM, mystrymachine said:

They are definitely one of my favorites. You just have to watch out for those consignment books that ask crazy prices.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Their own inventory is reasonably priced, but consignors set their own prices.

I've seen $50-$100 consignment books priced at $500-$1000. Caveat emptor.

Edited by jimbo_7071

I check MCS at least 4-5 times a day to see what deals are going to pop up in there new stock for golden age. Even though consignment books prices are set by the owners I still find that its a good ratio of reasonably priced books to the "you've got to be joking?" prices. And fully agree with most on here that the raw books are almost always under graded which is fantastic! All in all, I enjoy my experience with my comic shop. Also their database it is by far the best  resource for researching books I have seen online. Even has a tab for the CGC census for each issue when applicable!