• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's never too early...EliteCon, March 12th, 2017...Embassy Suites, USF-Tampa FL
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Hey George. This is Joe. Christian's friend. You bought a ton of my Batman books off me like 2 years back. 

Show is going to be fun. 

Man these cosplayers are babies. So entitled and butt hurt. 

They just don't get it. This show isn't for them! This stuff is WAY over their heads. 

Keep fighting the good fight. 

11 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

We are also the first show (that I know of) that is sharing part of its gate directly with its vendors, the first to utilize a buyer's survey that is shared with it's dealers so they know exactly what the attendees are looking for, ...

You guys have lots of great ideas.  Wish you all the best with your show. Trying to have all the items $50 and up seems steep...

We did beat you to the punch on the "buyer's survey" which we've had at every Berkeley con dating back to last summer.

3 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

You guys have lots of great ideas.  Wish you all the best with your show. Trying to have all the items $50 and up seems steep...

We did beat you to the punch on the "buyer's survey" which we've had at every Berkeley con dating back to last summer.

That's great!  The Buyer's Survey seems like such a natural thing to me, and something I've been pondering for a while now.  I'd love to exchange ideas to help improve ours.

Wow, just checked Facebook and got my dose of entitlement for the week. Stay strong, and please announce your 2018 dates ASAP so I can plan ahead!

Edited by mysterio

19 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Thank you for the kind words.  We've formulated this concept over the course of the last year after many discussions with dealers and collectors alike, and it's evolved into its current form.  I think it will continue to evolve as we get more feedback. We are also the first show (that I know of) that is sharing part of its gate directly with its vendors, the first to utilize a buyer's survey that is shared with it's dealers so they know exactly what the attendees are looking for, and the first to outright ban cosplay in any form...which is causing us a fair amount of flak on Facebook, but whatever.  Our focus is on the collectibles, and nothing else.  Hopefully, enough like-minded collectors will see the value in what we are trying to do and come give us a try. 

If I lived in the area, I certainly would be there.  

5 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

That's great!  The Buyer's Survey seems like such a natural thing to me, and something I've been pondering for a while now.  I'd love to exchange ideas to help improve ours.

Exactly. The idea is that everyone  has so much more material back at the warehouse or back at the shop, whatever, that having the fans tell you in advance what they want avoids all the conversations about oh, I left that back home. And even if they want key books that of course everyone is bringing to the show anyway, telling them who specifically has what saves time and perhaps even gets the fan off the fence about attending or not.  They see the promoter is absolutely putting the work in to encourage commerce between the two parties.

I think your show, like ours, is really built from the ground up to facilitate back issue commerce, not general public ticket sales. That means it's really perfect for the comic fans and the comic dealers.

Your branding is very distinct and strong. It's clear what your show is and what it aspires to.

One question that you may have answered elsewhere but I just missed it: why Sunday? If people were planning to travel in to this year's or next year's show it would be easiest to hold it on a Saturday for easy arrivals and departures around a full day at the show. If you could explain that rationale I would appreciate it.

I'm going to check it out just to see if anyone has any WW2 golden age that I cant live without .  Not sure the $50 item price point was necessary  Just having another con that catered to selling actual collectibles instead of vape booths, cosplay, mobile tatoo parlors is a draw enough for me.  Why may I ask did you need to exclude cheaper comics? I love hitting guys that just acquired some massive stock, cherry picked what they want and toss everything out for $1, 2 for $5 $10 ea etc  Its a treasure hunt

16 minutes ago, mysterio said:

One question that you may have answered elsewhere but I just missed it: why Sunday? If people were planning to travel in to this year's or next year's show it would be easiest to hold it on a Saturday for easy arrivals and departures around a full day at the show. If you could explain that rationale I would appreciate it.

Sunday is a traditional day in Florida for one day shows, and the availability of the venue was more open (more weddings happen on a Saturday), so it became Sunday.

As it stands, we have reserved a weekend for next year's function, which should make our show more accessible to those traveling, including Dealers from out of state who will want to set-up.

33 minutes ago, AllStar-Comics said:

I'm going to check it out just to see if anyone has any WW2 golden age that I cant live without .  Not sure the $50 item price point was necessary  Just having another con that catered to selling actual collectibles instead of vape booths, cosplay, mobile tatoo parlors is a draw enough for me.  Why may I ask did you need to exclude cheaper comics? I love hitting guys that just acquired some massive stock, cherry picked what they want and toss everything out for $1, 2 for $5 $10 ea etc  Its a treasure hunt

For the record, I'm HUGE on dollar boxes and cheap boxes where people are selling $50 books for $5 because they "don't want to be bothered".  I'm a big fan of "value-buying".  That being said, when we set up the show, we did it with a certain collector in mind, and it wasn't specifically to exclude low dollar items, so much as to put the focus on our vendors bringing quality material in that $50+ price point.  Since we are a cross-over show, with toys, action figures, Legos, Original Art, die-cast collectibles, Pops, and of course, comics, we thought to separate ourselves from the crowd, and let's be honest, the "Con" space is becoming very crowded, we wanted to put that emphasis on high quality items that people aren't seeing at every show, and that they often have to resort to an online site to find.  If we had half of our dealers with low end stock, and the rest with high, we'd be...well, a smaller version of a good comic show like Heroes or Chicago.  Which is great, but not really a unique niche in the space

By saying..."hey, regardless of what you collect (Comic, toys, Legos, etc.) if you are looking for better ($50+) material, you will find it here with us"....we now set a floor that no one else is bothering to set.  

BTW, our Gold & Platinum attendees can bring in what they want to the Swap Meet area...but considering the crowd, a box of dollar books probably is a waste of time.

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

2 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Sunday is a traditional day in Florida for one day shows, and the availability of the venue was more open (more weddings happen on a Saturday), so it became Sunday.

As it stands, we have reserved a weekend for next year's function, which should make our show more accessible to those traveling, including Dealers from out of state who will want to set-up.

That's fair, and I appreciate the response. My brother and I are very seriously considering checking out next year's show, so this is good news. 

12 hours ago, AllStar-Comics said:

Did you get any feedback on the golden age collection Steve from yancy St  picked up?  Any idea of what it was? 

No, not much feedback from Steve.  I guess we'll find out Sunday.  

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo