• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dry Cleaning

6 posts in this topic

Yes, if done very, very carefully. There is an example around here somehwere.

But generally, do not bother. The risk of losing colour from rubbing is very high and this makey the book look much worse. Even worse, you may still see a ghost of the grease pencil with a halo of colour loss around it. Truly hideous.

Sorry if someone asked this question before...can dry cleaning remove grease or pencil marks on cover? Those annoying arrival dates? Someone's name written in pencil?

Those are part of the heritage of the book. Leave it alone. I've seen many attempts that simply look worse afterward. It's funny to me that having Stan Lee slop his signature on a book to get a Yellow Label is fine but you want to erase the original owners marks.

Those are part of the heritage of the book. Leave it alone. I've seen many attempts that simply look worse afterward. It's funny to me that having Stan Lee slop his signature on a book to get a Yellow Label is fine but you want to erase the original owners marks.

I agree with this 100%.

It can be done but you must use the correct item. I've been practicing for years and there are some key steps and product you need to use.

I use :

a tissue

a paper towel

Absorbene

Professional dry cleaning pad

Professional dry cleaning powder

Dusting brush

Absorbene dirt eraser pad

Ink eraser coarse ink eraser media,

Erasing shield

The secret for me was to smart small and lightened see what came off - what just the mark or did some of ink? If it the mark, I tried a paper towel to see what came off. If it was too much ink then I would limit it to Absorbent products around the affect areas. You could limit it to certain areas with the eraser shield. This takes lot patience and a good rule is less is more. I have some books that you can no longer tell at all they pencils and others while the pencil is gone, the paper was impacted.

I agree with this 100%.

plus, CGC usually lowers the grade if they see erasure.