• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autograph Defect Warning Against Paint Pens

13 posts in this topic

I wanted to send out a warning to the CGC community against using a certain type of pen for autographs. I'm not sure what kind of pen was used for these, but maybe someone here can help me out.

Todd's autograph looked beautiful for a couple months, but recently the appearance of the autograph deteriorated tremendously. These books were stored at room temperate (80 degrees or less) on a book shelf, away from any sunlight.

Here are the two books that were affected (zoomed in):

68875917-ae63-460f-a6ea-003836b2264e_zpsglmo7gkp.jpg

cfa4480e-7d49-40d2-97b5-93973e1e5506_zpsrd1dtjpj.jpg

(zoomed out):

271eba8a-89e3-4209-8d98-7781d5a3b4a3_zps1tuihnrz.jpg

0d8d1d31-7f9d-4433-8e34-9cccfb629c9c_zpstw8lluuj.jpg

How they looked a couple months ago:

IMG_0795_zps6879if3s.jpg

IMG_0804_zpsmbn3tgkk.jpg

:facepalm: Now I will be worrying about my books. I know some of them are in paint pen...no idea what brand though. It seemed like paint pens were the big thing for a while the last year or so. Hopefully they don't all start doing that...

I do not understand why everyone would not have been told about this if it was a known problem. Many of us just go to shows and submit our own books using CGC witnesses and I would think we should be kept up to date with this information just like facilitators apparently were. I also do not understand what change could have occurred that would have caused this, especially since the slabs shown would have been in the pre-4/4/16 slab. Is it all paint pens, or just either water based or oil based paint? I have been using water based paint and a friend prefers using oil based paint, so I guess we might find out soon. Hopefully more information comes out about this since I have probably had over 100 comics signed in paint that either came back around the time the above-pictured slabs were signed to just this Friday in Boston.

That, unfortunately,happened to me when I had Dave Bullock sign BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE and, during the CGC process, the paint smeared the cover. I ended up selling that cover at a big discount. I blame no one but myself. The way the paint bubbled in his signature was a clear indication that idiotically ignored.

That's odd! The paint pen I use (Sakura Pentouch) is as sharp as the day I first used it a year ago and have seen other examples from a couple of years ago that are just as sharp. They are the best Metallic's on the market.

image_zpsbkvkhcki.jpeg

As much as I like the look of paint pens, I would never have used one with CGC's old Mylar compressed cases. Unfortunately, plastic pressed against paint causes it to stick to the Mylar and peel off, as long as it is not pressing against the cover, some paint pens should be fine.

Paint pens have been used for over 20 years now. They smear and smudge, the migrate, they flake off in some cases. This does not always happen. It doesn't even happen 50 percent of the time. It is a hazard associated with autograph collecting. As for the blue paint pen Todd likes. He signed a Spider-man # 1 for me in 2006 that I sold 2 months ago. There was no paint migration smearing of flaking or fading. Everybody be mindful and careful when autograph collecting and remember it is just money and they are funny books