• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie ashcan?
3 3

133 posts in this topic

You said it Lemonparty, all of the chumps are stumped. Very knowledgeable group you've got here, can't even answer one of the ten questions. Exactly what I thought would happen. Saying we don't want to play rather than admitting you don't know the first thing about this magazine. , I guess not trying is better than being wrong and being embarrassed. Ignorance is bliss. Love the Grade School Emojis originally invented for pre-pubescent teen girls. Very Macho and cool.

You said it Lemonparty, all of the chumps are stumped. Very knowledgeable group you've got here, can't even answer one of the ten questions. Exactly what I thought would happen. Saying we don't want to play rather than admitting you don't know the first thing about this magazine. , I guess not trying is better than being wrong and being embarrassed. Ignorance is bliss. Love the Grade School Emojis originally invented for pre-pubescent teen girls. Very Macho and cool.

I don't know what you are slinging here but all that sheit means nothing if the major indicators are there. If it has staples with a blue stripe, it's a fake, no need to go further. Look there are alot of copies that were made, I certainly hope you didn't pay too much for yours. Is that sufficient for your little test?

If not, I'm sorry I didn't pass your test. However I am a huge fan of Warrens horror mags, and am currently working on a full run of Creepy magazines. I already am pretty much done with my Vampirella run, give or take a few issues. Once I get to a run of Eerie mags, I will have to address this again. I certainly hope I am educated as you are so I can make the right choice on my Eerie #1 .

I think I could answer only one of those questions, and that would be from memory of another board members informative post. I personally have never been lucky enough to even see a copy (real or fake) in hand. This board is about showing your books and sharing information, all hopefully in a friendly manner. If you have knowledge to share then do so, but please stop all this high and mighty wildly_fanciful_statement! You're not impressing anyone with your attitude.

12 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:

🙄🤦🏽‍♂️

It's not directed at you.  The topic of Eerie 1 has been a subject of great debate here in the magazine section over the many years (including very recently).  There have been several threads trying to sort it out.  Although there are some who believe they can accurately parse which is a first printing, a second printing, a counterfeit, etc., the broad consensus is that due to the way it was produced and the inconsistency of available information from Jim Warren, Bob Overstreet and others, it is not something that can be reliably identified.  Oakman has a copy for which he has provenance that leads back to Warren.  That's probably as good as it gets.  All other copies- caveat emptor.

This is one of the reasons that CGC doesn't certify it.  But I would remind people that this is a subject of much debate and opinions vary widely.  Still, I will not spend good money on one unless I had the provenance to it.  Just not worth the risk.

It's really not a magazine anyway.  2c

LOL!  I just read through this thread again.  I must have only read the first 10 posts or so the first time around.  Pretty funny stuff!  Particularly the part where it's suggested that all the metrics for an original be established- exact weight, placement of staples, etc.  That guy clearly doesn't have a clue about how these things (and comics and magazines for that matter) are produced.  

Staple placement within 1/8"...  :insane:

26 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

LOL!  I just read through this thread again.  I must have only read the first 10 posts or so the first time around.  Pretty funny stuff!  Particularly the part where it's suggested that all the metrics for an original be established- exact weight, placement of staples, etc.  That guy clearly doesn't have a clue about how these things (and comics and magazines for that matter) are produced.  

The guy had 63 criteria, what!

1 hour ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Guys you will all see my copy on monday and we can all decide if its an orignial or now.  IT will be fun.....either way i love it

Post it! Love to hear the background on it too! You’ll need interior shots for sure. 

Check for blue on staples first to get that copy out of the way...hm

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

The guy had 63 criteria, what!

Off topic (somewhat) do you two know (or anyone else) if it’s still possible to contact James Warren these days? I have some old research stuff I got from the late Archie Goodwin that I wanted to run by him. He’s got to be pretty old though so not sure if it’s even possible these days...

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Off topic (somewhat) do you two know (or anyone else) if it’s still possible to contact James Warren these days? I have some old research stuff I got from the late Archie Goodwin that I wanted to run by him. He’s got to be pretty old though so not sure if it’s even possible these days...

My understanding is that when Steve Ditko was alive, he was more accessible than Jim Warren.  :insane:

Ok guys I got home early so decided to take the pics of the ashcan Eerie #1. I love this mag and without and further suspense here are all the pics. I’ve had it for 12 or so years. Got it as a gift from someone I trust who sold me their entire comic book collection and this was a bonus. Let the fun begin: 

F71FDB04-6A10-4F05-B567-4A48F2EFE2E5.jpeg

82EB1F81-81EA-4C94-8CAC-BE01365828AB.jpeg

244D66F3-779A-4B91-888E-DC49FB0E2AE5.jpeg

26ACFBDD-24E7-4707-9037-A93BBD755E4E.jpeg